• Hello, my first post here  :lol:

I got a bit tired of the old unit textures in trippleA, and started a project to redskin all the units, and make them more empire-specific, and realistic.

I have started with the Germans, witch can be seen here:

http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/ecl78854.jpg

http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/Nxe78950.jpg

I haven’t done all unit’s, since it’s only for private use, but if there is any interest here, i will do all units for all factions, and upload them.

I know some of the colors are not exactly accurate, and that some of the models i have used are not based on those witch were produced in largest quantities, but some compromise must be made to make the player be able to differ the units.

If you have any wishes/suggestions, please post them.

Skeletor

• THats fantastic!.

However, why doesn’t anybody redo the map?  You can import AARHE original map thats basically the same. Its like having really nice pieces on a crappy map.

BTW how do you make those?

• Thnx.

I have tried to figure out how to figure out how to redo the map. i can fix the sea, but i wanted to make a map depicting denesly and heavy population and industrialisation. But i guess the coding in trippleA is set to use one colorcode, witch changes after conquest.

Btw, i made them by hand in photoshop, using pics or models of the original unit as models (the battleship is based on the DKM Scharnhorst, the carrier on DKM Graf Zeppelin aso…

-Skel

• Hey Skeletor,

absolutely excellent work mate! What a first post to introduce yourself with!

I’d love to see them in my TripleA and I’m sure most of the others would be really impressed too. You should post the sample images over there too.

Incidentally is the TripleA forum down, or is my computer playing up?

Keep on with the great idea/work Skeletor, and if you upload them PLEASE let me know.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

very cool

• Thnx for the feedback.

I have now done all the main factions, except the Russian fleet.

I think i will finish the Russian navy so that i can upload a complete package…

BTW, i can’t post at the trippleA forum yet, but if any of you have the possibility, you could link ti this topic for me.

Heres the progress so far:

Russians:

Germans:

British:

Japanese:

USA:

-SKel-

• Very nice. You should post those on the TripleA forums when they are back online from maintenance.

You might as well add the halftrack to the list since there are some unofficial variants that add it to the game.

@Skeletor:

I have tried to figure out how to figure out how to redo the map. i can fix the sea, but i wanted to make a map depicting denesly and heavy population and industrialisation. But i guess the coding in trippleA is set to use one colorcode, witch changes after conquest.

You just need to make a relief map based on the Revised BaseMap that comes with TripleA. Then it’s just a matter of changing a few lines on the map.properties file and you’re all set.

Here’s an example below, with the base and relief maps of the Fortress America scenario for TripleA:

InvasionUSAsmall.png
    Reliefsmall.png

• PS - Shouldn’t the Japanese Bomber be the Betty? It might look a little odd to see a Seaplane on land…  :wink:

• These images are made by a true master!

They are brilliant.  It would be a shame if you used them on that crappy ugly map they use for triple A

Why cant that be improved?

• @Imperious:

Why cant that be improved?

It has already been improved. This is how Revised looks on the latest beta.

beta942.png

• You just need to make a relief map based on the Revised BaseMap that comes with TripleA. Then it’s just a matter of changing a few lines on the map.properties file and you’re all set.

Hmmm, i guess i’ll have to look more in to it. I saw that the original a&a that comes with tripleA have relief maps, and relief is set to “true” in the text file, but still the land tiles projects as flat single color planes in game. So i figured the function was left out.

They are brilliant.  It would be a shame if you used them on that crappy ugly map they use for triple A

I agree so much, but if the new version has a better looking map, i will focus on the units first. I usually play Big World 1942 for the moment, so i guess that comes first on the list.

PS - Shouldn’t the Japanese Bomber be the Betty? It might look a little odd to see a Seaplane on land…  wink

Sure they should, hehe. The reason for the seaplane bomber was to make the different nations more unique, but i guess the fact that seaplanes don’t fare to well in inner Sibiria, and the fact that i left out the legendary Mitsubishi G4M is a good point. - Will change. 8-)

You might as well add the halftrack to the list since there are some unofficial variants that add it to the game.

Doing the marines, and halftracks is next on the list. I might also add some other units like transport planes, paratroopers, rocket launcher (v2 ramps, and stalinorgel aso), and maybe nukebombers, so that other modders can use the units in their map. Once i get privileges to post on the tripla forum i will set up a wish list for modders who wishes to use my unit’s.

-Skel-

• When you finish making all of the pieces are you going to upload a folder that has the .png of each piece so we can copy the contents over to our version of TripleA?

• You guys: That map is still hedious!

Can you just use something better?

AARHE is already tailored for OOB. I can remove the logo.

I am not saying mine is better, but come on the colors aren’t even correct or even close.

• it’s easy to make a TripleA map for Revised that replicates the original board, either using AARHE or another map file. The thing is, I doubt that they would add it to the downloadable version of TripleA because of artwork copyright (which is most likely the reason why the current maps are different from the board)

• Not true. It cant be. AARHE is not a copy of the OOB map… its just remastered in 100% vector art. It has the same territories, but It was not scanned from original.

You would get in trouble if you scanned the OOB map and enlarged it and tried to make money on it with triple a, but my understanding is this is a totally free service so they cant do jack.

• @Imperious:

You would get in trouble if you scanned the OOB map and enlarged it and tried to make money on it with triple a, but my understanding is this is a totally free service so they cant do jack.

The argument that you can do it since it’s free doesn’t stick as well.
    Axis and Allies and all artwork or original content are copyright protected as well. Any adaptations or copies such as TripleA or even your AARHE, even if they are not with the propose of making money are abridged by this. Avalon Hill could simply tell the authors of such work to stop distributing their adaptations over the net and stick you with a lawsuit if you didn’t cease to do so and the judge would oblige to them since they are the legitimate holders of the copyright and can decide at their whim how it is used.
    Luckly they are not so obtuse to do so, since they realize the added value it gives to their products but not all authors/copyright holders like for people to make versions of their work and to distribute it freely.
    If you don’t believe me grab a copy of the US Code that deals with copyright law and tell me where it says that you can distribute adaptations as long as they are for free.

• that’s not true because i’m not using the name “axis and allies” anywhere in the document, nor even using the rules other than a few quasi similar concepts. The only thing is a map carved up into the same kinds of territories.

Its not axis and allies artwork. Its like me drawing a monopoly style board but having unique information on these.

You cannot distribute scanned images of their ORIGINAL artwork, but you can do like what Xeno games does, which is to make ‘similar’ looking maps using similar rules. Besides the artwork that is already triple A is the same type of thing as what we have with AARHE, except the artwork is not done with some pixelated program and is much improved aesthetic.

I am not flogging my horn, just pointing out obvious.

• If you don’t believe me grab a copy of the US Code that deals with copyright law and tell me where it says that you can distribute adaptations as long as they are for free.

I am not actually arguing that point, but its covered under an assessment of intent or purpose

Also, I had done an extensive survey of this issue back in 2003 and the conclusion was that what these projects amount to is safe conduct and not of material issue.

If it were not true and you don’t believe ME, then why have not all these so called “unauthorized axis and allies expansions/variants” have never been sued?  They have millions of them since 1981.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_States_Code/Title_17/Chapter_13/Sections_1301_to_1303

……design of subject matter excluded from protection under section 1302 if the design is a substantial revision, adaptation, or rearrangement of such subject matter. Such protection shall be independent of any subsisting protection in subject matter employed in the design, and shall not be construed as securing any right to subject matter excluded from protection under this chapter or as extending any subsisting protection under this chapter.

Protection under this chapter shall not be available for a design that is—

(1) not original;
        (2) staple or commonplace, such as a standard geometric figure, a familiar symbol, an emblem, or a motif, or another shape, pattern, or configuration which has become standard, common, prevalent, or ordinary;
        (3) different from a design excluded by paragraph (2) only in insignificant details or in elements which are variants commonly used in the relevant trades;
        (4) dictated solely by a utilitarian function of the article that embodies it; or
        (5) embodied in a useful article that was made public by the designer or owner in the United States or a foreign country more than 2 years before the date of the application for registration under this chapter.

• When you finish making all of the pieces are you going to upload a folder that has the .png of each piece so we can copy the contents over to our version of TripleA?

I will.

I have now uploaded the first version. They include the units posted in the previous post, including all Russian naval unit’s.
    Due to nice weather  8-) and plenty of exames :x, i haven’t been able to work on the project in some time.
    Tho i have some wip’s that will be ready soon.

You can download the first version here:

http://www.uploading.com/files/B5D20FCS/Skeletors_TrippleA_skins.zip.html

If you have any suggestion of how to further improve the unit’s, please post them here.
    I might also create custom unit’s if you need something special for a project.

Enjoy

-Skel-

• @Imperious:

I am not actually arguing that point, but its covered under an assessment of intent or purpose

Also, I had done an extensive survey of this issue back in 2003 and the conclusion was that what these projects amount to is safe conduct and not of material issue.

If it were not true and you don’t believe ME, then why have not all these so called “unauthorized axis and allies expansions/variants” have never been sued?  They have millions of them since 1981.

IL, check Chapter 1, section 106:
    "Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"

That includes all the millions of axis and allies expansions/variants that you mentioned above. Avalon Hill simply ‘tolerates’ them, meaning that they will not pursue any legal action, because they know it is on their best interest to have them around (to generate more interest/more buyers for Axis and Allies).

This situation is already what happens regarding fan fiction (I’ve written quite a few fanfics regarding computer games and that’s how I learned about this subject):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction#Legality_of_Fanfiction

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m