• Quick question on a single German FTR defending Norway from an amphibious assault by Britain with no air cover.

Since there is no air combat, and no Air Supremacy (e.g., no matching land units) – we gave the FTR one shot at 1 (e.g., Excess air units fight at combat value of 1) and a retreat due to “At the end of a land combat cycle, if only one side has land units the other side must retreat.” and the country fell.

Does this sound like a correct interpretation?  Basically the FTR gets a no risk parting shot at 1.

• Bierwagen

• Quick question on a single German FTR defending Norway from an amphibious assault by Britain with no air cover.

Since there is no air combat, and no Air Supremacy (e.g., no matching land units) – we gave the FTR one shot at 1 (e.g., Excess air units fight at combat value of 1) and a retreat due to “At the end of a land combat cycle, if only one side has land units the other side must retreat.” and the country fell.

Does this sound like a correct interpretation?  Basically the FTR gets a no risk parting shot at 1.

Yes the plane is considered dislodged and must retreat, but you know land targets cannot hit air units, so it does get a parting shot as it leaves, but at standard combat values, not aerial, so it would be at a 4 rather than one.

• Yes Bierwagen that is correct.

@Imperious:

but at standard combat values, not aerial, so it would be at a 4 rather than one.

But the excess air hit rule still holds. So its at 1.
    Btw aerial combat value for defending fighter is not 1 neither.

• Having a new group to this game, we find the map and rules exactly what we are looking for with our style of play.  Good work group.

However, the air combat section is making for some exciting agruements with us.

Quote from: Imperious Leader on May 03, 2008, 11:06:28 pm
    but at standard combat values, not aerial, so it would be at a 4 rather than one.

from tekky: But the excess air hit rule still holds. So its at 1.

Based on the above, if its some what debateable between the developers, have mercy on us poor folks.  If the above example is a ftr defends on 1, when during a land or air combat does it defend on a 4?

“Damn the debates, full speed ahead”  it still is the best version out there!

from tekky: But the excess air hit rule still holds. So its at 1.

Based on the above, if its some what debatable between the developers, have mercy on us poor folks.  If the above example is a ftr defends on 1, when during a land or air combat does it defend on a 4?

These are the combat values : What was written has to do with when you face en enemy with no air support , your using the combat values of your planes, except if you bring in more planes than the total number of land units the EXCESS planes attack/ defend at 1…. Remember its still possible for the situation to exist where the attacker has no planes but the defender does and as i said if the defending planes are greater than the total land units he has the excess planes only defend at 1 regardless of their actual land combat value.

In aerial combat they always defend at normal air combat values…as tekkyy states.

Attack/defend

In Air:
    Fighter 2-3
    Bomber 0-1
    Naval Fighter 2-2
    Fighter-Bomber 1-2
    Transport Plane 0-1

ON land:
    Fighter 3-4
    Bomber 4-1
    Naval Fighter 3-2
    Fighter-Bomber 3-2
    Transport Plane 0-1

if you got jet power:

IN air:
    Fighter 4-4
    Bomber 0-2

In land:
    Fighter  4-5
    Bomber 3-3

• Thanks IL.  I figured out the answer as soon as I posted it.  I guess my fingers are typing faster than my brain is working.  I actually think its making sense now.

• ok good.

• Bierwagan:

How would you have played your example if it were a bomber instead of a ftr?

• @oldsalty:

Bierwagan:

How would you have played your example if it were a bomber instead of a ftr?

Moin OldSalty!

I haven’t had a lone bomber defending a territory yet.  But, it wouldn’t really change anything.  Air units only get full attack strength when coupled with ground forces on a 1-to-1 basis.

@AAHRE:

Air Supremacy
    When only one side has air units at the beginning of
    combat cycle, air units fight with normal combat values
    when matched 1-to-1 with a friendly land unit. Excess
    air units fight at combat value of 1.

So, the bomber would have Air Supremacy but would only get a parting shot at 1 (n.b., bombers don’t get to select targets it is just carpet bombing) – then it would have to withdraw due to:

@AAHRE:

Land Combat: Retreat Decision
    At the end of a land combat cycle, if only one side has
    land units the other side must retreat.

TTP (Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures) insight for the day!
    This becomes tactically significant later on in the game when you don’t have many ground units left.  I’ve seen people attack what looks like a solid defense in Berlin by tying up all the airplanes in the sky.  Then all you have to do is blast away the few defenders on the ground and “voila!” the vaunted Luftwaffe is forced to retreat because they have no land units, giving you the country and victory!

This really causes you to re-evaluate defense on the ground.  You have to watch UK as well because normally it’s just used as a non-mobile aircraft carrier – but NO MORE!

It’s all about balance… and aircover!  IL & Tekkyy have done a wondermus job of levelling the playing field and making it a real slobberknocker of a tactical puzzle.

Enjoy the day!

• Bierwagen

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m