• Morning pro’s.

I have a couple of questions about AA guns in AandA Revised.

Can they fire rockets and then be moved in the non combat phase?
    Can an enemy force capture them and then move them behind their lines on their noncombat phase?

Also a q about transports. Can a TRN move two zones and on that go ferry across land units between territories it finds itself simultaneously adjacent to? (eg Japan to mainland Asia) -either as a combat or non combat move

Thanks.

TS

• No.
    No, not on the same turn.
    Yes.

In order.

• I concur with Nukchebi0.

In the first one:  Once the AA fires a rocket, it has engaged in Combat.  You cannot both Combat and NCM with the same unit in a turn (landing AF being the only exception in a normal game)

For the second:  Whether it fired or not, the AA was a unit that participated in the battle of the attacked territory.  As such it cannot both combat and NCM as in #1 above.

For the third:  Yes it is legal for a TRN to move first, then transport units.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t know why, but Mr. Switch never seems to give any references.  I, personally, find giving page numbers allows others to open the book and find all the relevant text to the situation.  I’m not beyond failure, no one is.

So:

Transports: Page 31 from the instructions that come in the book

A transport can load cargo before, during and after its move.  A transport can pick up cargo, move 1 sea zone, pick up more cargo, move 1 more sea zone and offload the cargo at the end of its movement.  It may also remain at sea with the cargo still aboard.  A transport can offload into a hostile territory only during an amphibious assault.

Please do note, that transports may not load units from a hostile zone.  That means you cannot attack SZ 55 and load 2 infantry from W. Canada onto your transport in SZ 55.

Rockets:

Page 25 states:

Rockets: If you have the Rockets development, your antiaircraft guns
    can act as rocket launchers. You can attack enemy production with your rockets during the
    opening fire step of combat. This is the only situation in which antiaircraft guns can attack. From
    each territory, one rocket may launch an attack. It attacks an industrial complex within 3 spaces.
    Any industrial complex may be attacked by only one rocket launcher in a turn. The maximum
    combined damage inflicted in one turn by all strategic bombing raids on one industrial complex
    and any rocket attack on the same industrial complex is the territory’s income value. The
    opponent must surrender that many IPCs to the bank.

Now that does not say anything about moving the gun.  However:

NONCOMBAT MOVE
    In this phase, you can move any of
    your units that did not move in the
    combat move phase or participate
    in combat during your turn
    . This
    is a good time to gather your units,
    either to strengthen vulnerable
    territories or to reinforce units at
    the front. You cannot move into
    hostile territories in this phase.

You will notice that the rules clearly show that you may not move any unit that participated in combat during your turn.  Opening fire is part of the Combat Phase of your round, thus, the AA Gun participated in Combat.  (Page 21 of the box rules.)

As for moving AA Guns after capturing them:

Page 25 continues:

Usable by Invading Forces: If a territory is captured, any antiaircraft guns there are also captured. They
    can be used by the capturing player in future combats. Antiaircraft guns are never destroyed, except when
    a transport carrying one is sunk. If you move an antiaircraft gun into a friendly territory, place one of your
    control markers under it. If you liberate a territory containing a captured antiaircraft gun, control reverts to
    the original owner.

Now this does not SPECIFICALLY state that you may not move the AA Gun after capturing it.  However, it is commonly accepted that AA Guns that were captured were involved in the battle, even if no aircraft were shot at, and thus, cannot move per the rule quoted above from page 21.

If that justification is not sufficient, you can always fall back on the justification that the AA Gun cannot move just after being captured for the same reason fighters and bombers cannot land in just captured territories. :)

• Official Q&A

Excellent job, Jennifer!  In the interest of completeness, I refer you to the FAQ:

If I capture an enemy territory that contains an antiaircraft gun, can I move that gun out of the territory during non-combat movement? Does it matter whether the gun fired at planes during the combat (i.e., can I move it if it didn’t fire but not if it did fire)?
    You can’t move it at all on the turn that it was captured. If it was there in the space when combat took place, then it is considered to have participated in that fight whether or not there were planes to shoot at.

Can an AA gun move in non-combat movement if it fired a rocket in the preceding combat phase?
    No.

• I just used TripleA and set up each of the situations. It follows the rules perfectly, with the exception of flying fighters above a sea zone to land on a new carrier.

• @Nukchebi0:

I just used TripleA and set up each of the situations. It follows the rules perfectly, with the exception of flying fighters above a sea zone to land on a new carrier.

Yeah, I noticed that too. When you use the LHTR game XML file the game will put up a dialog box asking if you want to end the movement with the fighter or keep moving. The dialog does inform you if you have a carrier purchase coming so it would appear this feature has been partially but not fully implemented. This may be fixed in the next release which is due out soon. ~ZP

I have to be honest, TripleA has not been my favorite format to use to play.  Perhaps if they iron out some of the errors and get it to play nice with my laptop, and I’ll drop MapView for TripleA if they ever get national advantages incorporated!

Until then, honestly, I prefer Battlemap.  Simple, quick, easy to learn, shows almost the entire board (or the entire board if you have a widescreen monitor) nice.

• @Cmdr:

I have to be honest, TripleA has not been my favorite format to use to play.  Perhaps if they iron out some of the errors and get it to play nice with my laptop, and I’ll drop MapView for TripleA if they ever get national advantages incorporated!

Until then, honestly, I prefer Battlemap.  Simple, quick, easy to learn, shows almost the entire board (or the entire board if you have a widescreen monitor) nice.

Yes, I do to, but TripleA has rule enforcement.

@Zero:

@Nukchebi0:

I just used TripleA and set up each of the situations. It follows the rules perfectly, with the exception of flying fighters above a sea zone to land on a new carrier.

Yeah, I noticed that too. When you use the LHTR game XML file the game will put up a dialog box asking if you want to end the movement with the fighter or keep moving. The dialog does inform you if you have a carrier purchase coming so it would appear this feature has been partially but not fully implemented. This may be fixed in the next release which is due out soon. ~ZP

Can they improve the AI as well?

I believe the problem with improving the AI is programming skill AND program size.

And there is rule enforcement in Battlemap.  Your opponent enforces the rules!  Just like in F2F games, no? wink

• @Nukchebi0:

Can they improve the AI as well?

As I posted in another thread, the task of creating an AI that rivals a human player is an extremely tall order. Coders who are capable of the task and are willing to do it for free in support of an open source project appear to be invisibly rare. The Triplea development team is well aware of the lack of a robust AI. This is by far the single most requested feature improvement. ~ZP

• Anything over what we have now is nice, no matter how small. However, just make sure to differentiate (i.e. have two levels) between the fixed AI and the standard one now, since it is perfect for beginners.

• Please take further AI discussions to the software thread.

• Okay.

• @Trusty:

Morning pro’s.

Good morning sunshine.

I have a couple of questions about AA guns in AandA Revised.

Can they fire rockets and then be moved in the non combat phase?

No.

Can an enemy force capture them and then move them behind their lines on their noncombat phase?

Not in the same turn.  If an enemy captures your AA gun, think of it like the AA gun “participated in combat” whether or not there were fighters involved.  So the AA gun can’t move.

Also a q about transports. Can a TRN move two zones and on that go ferry across land units between territories it finds itself simultaneously adjacent to? (eg Japan to mainland Asia) -either as a combat or non combat move

Yes, a transport can even move a space, pick up a unit, move another space, pick up another unit, then unload.  (Or the transport could pick up a unit, then move two squares and pick up another unit then unload).  The transport can pick up at any time during its move IF there are no enemy units in the same sea zone the transport is in.  (Exception is submerged subs; if you attack a sub with a fighter, say, and the sub survives and submerges, you can move through that sea zone during noncombat and pick up and/or drop off units).

Note that when you unload a transport, you can only unload to ONE territory, and unloading ends the move for both the transport and any unloaded units.  (After unloading, even if your transport would have movement left, it can no longer move).

Thanks.

TS

YW.

BPW (bunnies p wrath)

• Thankyou team. Most helpful.

Trusty

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m