• Also known as the MP44, although technically it wasn’t a MachinePistol, was the world very first “Assualt Riffle”. Recently I’ve noticed/relized something, with out it, the worlds modern day weapons would be very different. Look at the StG44, then look at 3/4s of the modern day riffles, and there’ll probly be something similar about them. Ex: AK style guns have the shortened riffle cartriges but still have the stopping power of the riffle rounds, the banana style mags, the unique short stroke vented style of gas-operation, all G3s have the same type of stock and foregrip, the ejection port on the M4 and M16 styles are almost exactly the same, ect.

I think it’s amazing what the Germans came up with for this gun and how it’s parts and differnt type of componets are still used today in our modern weaponry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturmgewehr_44

• '19 Moderator

Yeah, I believe I read some where that Kalashnikov claimed to have never seen an MP44 or STG44 prior to his design, but I’m highly doubtfull.  The designers on that 44 made a huge technological leap with the gas piston setup.  Great rifle, i’ve held one twice beautiful peice of machinery.

• Did you get to shoot it DF?

• '19 Moderator

I didn’t, but it was in excelent contition and probably worth $10k  When it’s not yours it makes you nervous just hold let alone shoot.

I have shot an MG42, a PPsh, an MP40 and several other really cool old school autos.

• '19 Moderator

One thing I thought I would mention, when you look at the rifle the outline is similar to the AK, bu tup close it apears and is much more technical.  Like with most German designs from that time.  Also when you pick it up you notice a big difference  It’s suprisingly heavy, I would say twice the weight of a modern military rifle.  Definately a solid steel weapon.

• So in hand to hand, it could be a good club when out of Ammo  :wink:

• @dezrtfish:

I didn’t, but it was in excelent contition and probably worth $10k  When it’s not yours it makes you nervous just hold let alone shoot.

I have shot an MG42, a PPsh, an MP40 and several other really cool old school autos.

Well, that’s too bad, but I understand.  I would actually like to shoot some of those old weapons, and I’m not at all a gun connoisseur.  I know a fair amount, but don’t own any.

Probably would want to shoot a BAR or Thompson SMG as my first choice though…

• '19 Moderator

Well I own most of the common soldier guns of the era, M1 Garand, K98, Carcano, Mosin-nagant.  So if you make it ot AZ I’ll let you bruise your shoulder some.  That K98 is a Man’s gun, it’s like holding a donkey kick :-)

• That wasn’t the impression I got from it at all. At least from what I’ve seen as portrayed in movies and such.  :lol:

• HA! Kalashnikov may not have, but every other person that helped him design the AK did.

I got to hold an MP44 at a gunshow, it was an authentic one for $40,000! (Authentic “typwrighter” was $80k)  the stock was realy loose and the metal alittle aged, but it still looked buitifull…. :roll:

When you shot that MG42, did it kick you back 20ft?  :lol: I saw this video once, it was an old WWII German vet who was a MG42 gunner. He tried it out after 60 years and went back about 3ft for every burst.

I know what you mean by kicks like a donkey, it wasn’t a 98k, but a modern Mouser and used the same ammo. Got a nice bruse for a week.

• '19 Moderator

I didn’t hip shoot the 42, If it was mine I may have, I fired it from the bipod.  I can tell you it’ll burn through a 50 rnd belt pretty damn fast.

My mauser is stamped 1942 with all matching numbers.  It is also the most acurate off all my WWII rifles.  It will easily shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards.

I used to know a guy who was a German MG Gunner with the 10ss…  Cool guy

• '11

I would love to shoot an MG42, MP44 or an MP40, really any guns from  that era. Do you know of any gun shows/gun meets where you can try out one of these beauties? I have heard of meets where you can buy a certain number of rounds and fire them off. That would be an amazing time. Also, was it easy to come across the M1 Garand? Or did you have a difficult time acquiring it?

It’s amazing to think that the MP44, designed over 60 years ago has had such an influence on modern day assault rifles. Truly a masterful work that has stood the test of time.

• '19 Moderator

I got the M1 at a gun show probably ten years ago for $350.  It was a good price then, it would probably go for $500 or $600 now.

There are places where I live that you can rent fast shooters, but this ain’t Massachusets baby, this is the wild west and we like making holes in stuff  :evil:

This is one of the local shops that rents Machineguns:
    http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mga/index.php

• '11

That’s a pretty sweet site. I’ll have to check it out if I’m ever in the area. That would be a whole lot of fun for an afternoon.

Oh, I’m not from Mass, I’m from Maine. A lot better for anyone who wants to go out to a gravel pit and go plinking (might be a ME term, not sure). At least not everyone in the area looks at you funny if you say you’re going to go shooting for the afternoon.   :-D

I would love to pick up an M1 as I love the sound it makes after ejecting the last shell from the clip. Lots of fun for all.

• '19 Moderator

LOL, I just singled out Mass, because that’s where I hear most of the anti gun stuff coming from.

I have an open invitation to any A&A player to visit and play a game and go shooting or whatever else my fine state has to offer.

• '11

Those crazy people from Mass and their zany gun laws. What will they think of next.  :mrgreen:

If I’m ever in the area, I’ll look you up. Thanks for the invite.

• I would love to shoot an MG42

Well, funny to say so, but it is still in use in the Austrian army. We did some shooting with the thing in basic training, and your shoulder WILL hurt for a day or two afterwards - perhaps not so if you are used to that kind of stuff, which I definitely wasn’t. But it munches through some 10 cm (must be 4 inches or so) of bricks at a quite amazing pace at a range of 50 m (50 yards?).

• '19 Moderator

An amazing gun for sure, that 8MM will chew up some stuf.  After seeing one up clos and using it its pretty obvious where the inspiration fo rmodern US MGs comes from.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Xf0H-WkX0

thought some of you might enjoy the video. :wink:

• That is the most awesome quote Gewehr!

“It is the soldier,not the reporter,
    Who has given us freedom of the press.
    It is the soldier,not the poet,
    Who has given us the freedom of speech.
    It is the soldier,not the campus organizer,
    Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the soldier,not the lawyer,
    Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
    It is the soldier,
    Who salutes the flag,
    Who serves under the flag,
    And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
    Who allows the protester to burn the flag”

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m