UN Environmental Summit in Johannesburg S Africa

• Very magnamanous :D of you, GI. But I’m afraid we haven’t heard from the peni* gallery yet. Ew, ew! Did I say that!(Rather pithy today[no lisp.])

Okie-dokie! If you are over there… is this an especially hot summer for the desert?!?

• @Grigoriy:

Question…if the hole is only above Australia, how many people are going to get sunburned there?

The hole is over Antarctica (see what you quoted), which is pretty close to Australia. The people there know the problem, and try to live with it as good as possible since the early 80s.
    Australia is the country with most skin cancer. 2 of 3 Ozzies will /have been treated for that in their live time. Melanoma are more common than lung cancer. The mortality rates are about twice as high as those in the Greater San Francisco Bay Area.

If it only took 3 years to shrink the hole that much, it’s not that long of a time, is it?

There was talk of a “record size” in 2000. The hole in 2002 was the smallest since 1988. There was no notion of “how much” it actually was then.
    So, we can see that the hole there is od different size for temperature reasons. That does not at all change the fact that it (a) is there and (b) caused by us humans.

sigh why don’t you go to Australia and do not protect yourself?

• So, we can see that the hole there is od different size for temperature reasons. That does not at all change the fact that it (a) is there and (b) caused by us

I don’t think GI was doubting that (t’s a fact, not an opinion), but his post was in response to this… “This is the legacy of ozone depletion over many years and reinforces just how long it can take to repair the damage." - that being the opinion.

• @El:

Very magnamanous :D of you, GI. But I’m afraid we haven’t heard from the peni* gallery yet. Ew, ew! Did I say that!(Rather pithy today[no lisp.])

Okie-dokie! If you are over there… is this an especially hot summer for the desert?!?

1)A source is only necessary when starting a thread, once we get going we can just rely on our differences to keep it going. :lol:

2)I couldn’t reliably say…it’s my first (and hopefully only) summer over here, and while I couldn’t say it’s an especially hot summer, I will say that I have developed a fear of living without AC, and I start shivering when the temperature hits 70 degrees (21 deg. C), when I used to start avoiding work at that temperature because of the heat.

• @TG:

I don’t think GI was doubting that (t’s a fact, not an opinion), but his post was in response to this… “This is the legacy of ozone depletion over many years and reinforces just how long it can take to repair the damage." - that being the opinion.

Oh, ok…
    Well, for that, we can see that even though we might have thought it was getting better over the last years, this does not seem to be the case at all. We still reach new record sized holes, even thogh we stopped putting fluor-chlor-CH into the atmosphere… about 10 years ago?

• However can the number fluctuate so much between smallest since 1988 in 2002 and largest recorded ever (I’m assuming 2003)?

• The 2003 will be of about the record size as it seems, and the predictions are quite reliable. So, the answer is “yes, it can fluctuate that much”.
    Something that usually is used against environmentalists, as some (other) fluctuations are normal, then the effect could be “just fluctuations”. The other side of the medal is never heard (not even by environmentalists): the same fluctuations could be “favoring” us, and the real man-made effect is much worse….

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m