How is AARHE a variant AND a house rule?

• Again, where do I send the check too….?  :wink:

Can a rules set be both?  It seems AARHE is…

When I tried to post about Enhanced in the variant section, I got smacked about by Imperious Leader, saying it was a HOUSE rule

I see he is no longer the moderator of this forum nor of House rules.

Is there any criteria to determine what is a house rule and what is a variant?

• Dude that was like a year ago.

Come on now. AAe is basically a house rule for OOB.

AARHE is variant because it offers expansions that go beyond the rules, It offers a complete game including 3 alternate maps

But its also house rules because it allows you to also play OOB map with rules changes. Thats why you see it in both sections.

• @Imperious:

Dude that was like a year ago.

Dude, it still happened  :mrgreen:

@Imperious:

Come on now. AAe is basically a house rule for OOB.

AARHE is variant because it offers expansions that go beyond the rules, It offers a complete game including 3 alternate maps

But its also house rules because it allows you to also play OOB map with rules changes. Thats why you see it in both sections.

so a variant offers different maps/pieces?

whereas house rules are merely rule changes?

I like this definition:

@American:

var·i·ant (vâr’ē-ənt, vār’-)  Pronunciation Key 
    adj.

• Having or exhibiting variation; differing.

• Tending or liable to vary; variable.

• Deviating from a standard, usually by only a slight difference.

especially #3. In that sense, AARe is more a variant than AARHE.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/variant

• Usage of the word ‘slight’ in any event is way past the OOB in both cases. Slight would be one or two simple rule changes and not wholescale retrofit. However, many of AARHE discussions pertain to the most current models of solution for all house rule issues, which invariably lead to a better result and are continually updated as part of living rules template. AARHE focuses its attention to all types of ideas currently under discussion in house rules which can be applied to other AA games and help in terms of finding common solutions to bring about Realism, playability and balance.

BTW you have lots of AARe stuff in AAR thread and nobody is complaining:
    Nobody is complaining when you drop all your little (AARe does this) ‘hints’ off in other non-house/variant threads

Just to name a few of the threads that feature AARe and are not in House/Variants sections:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10950.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10966.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10811.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10434.0

The gist of this is don’t worry were getting our job done, go and do yours. Post away and don’t worry about what is going on.

edit due to joke not well received. :mrgreen:

• @Imperious:

Perhaps a ‘Cariant’ section would be warranted.

Car·i·an       (kâr’ē-ən)  Pronunciation Key
    adj.   Of or relating to the inhabitants of ancient Caria, their culture, or their language.

n.

1. An inhabitant of ancient Caria.
       2. The extinct Anatolian language of the Carians, known from scattered funerary inscriptions.

So a Cariant would be a citizen of Caria?

Pardon my typo you condescending jerk

You can not edit a “thread title” once it is posted, so sorry for being human.

• yes you can. check it out.

• @Imperious:

Just to name a few of the threads that feature AARe and are not in House/Variants sections:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10950.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10966.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10811.0
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10434.0

The gist of this is don’t worry were getting our job done, go and do yours. Post away and don’t worry about what is going on.

Two of those posts were started by Aretaku
    One is asking how Revised DIFFERS from Enhanced
    and another is my map of Revised.

I think you’re being quite defensive.

I asked how you define VARIANT and you pull out some long winded explaination that includes references to which rules set is better than another.

However, many of AARHE discussions pertain to the most current models of solution for all house rule issues, which invariably lead to a better result and are continually updated as part of living rules template. AARHE focuses its attention to all types of ideas currently under discussion in house rules which can be applied to other AA games and help in terms of finding common solutions to bring about Realism, playability and balance.

You need to mellow out DUDE

• Well as you said your posts are prominently featured and supported in those threads and never once did you say what your saying to me now one year latter: “hey move this AARe stuff to house rules”  so why you complaining about AARHE in different sections one year latter?

I am not defensive in the slightest. I welcome the AARe stuff in either section or whatever, but its just not proper for you to complain either.

you see?

• @Imperious:

Well as you said your posts are prominently featured and supported in those threads and never once did you say what your saying to me now one year latter: “hey move this AARe stuff to house rules”  so why you complaining about AARHE in different sections one year latter?

Didn’t you just tell me not to worry about you doing your job… isn’t that up to the moderators to move threads?

I also was supposed to
    “Post away and don’t worry about what is going on.”

So which is it?  Should I call the forum police if a post is not in the right forum or “don’t worry were getting our job done”

• BTW, I still say my original question and whole point of this thread is how a rules set can be classified as a variant AND a house rule.

I don’t think I’m satisified with your answer.

Are there any hard and fast rules besides that it appears the whim of the moderators?
    I’m ok with that if that IS the answer……

• And the point is as i explained AARHE is not only one set of rules.

Its a progressive template of ideas eventually just dealing with changes in OOB rules and latter a full blown new game with a new map. Thats why its both.

Its house rules for the original game and latter We offer two new maps complete with player aids and a different start time. Thats a Variant of the original game… linked but different.

And secondly why does this matter so much to you? If you want to understand what AARHE is just read the document for yourself.

Also, you can also continue to post AARe in Axis and Allies Revised threads or Political discussion or whatnot nobody will bother you.

thats where you should just do your thing and:

“Post away and don’t worry about what is going on.” are compatible.

• Relax people.

For me I consider LHTR, AARe, and AARHE as house rules.

Variant should involve substantial map changes.
    War at World, Global War (btw large community development, a pity it died), Global Conflict, AARHE 1939…

• Thats what im saying only I didn’t say specifically that AARHE is house and AARHE 1939 is a variant. One takes the OOB and tweeks it, the other takes even more ideas for a totally new map/game.

• I am going to take the AARHE rules file discussion away from the AARHE 1939 topic.

• @Imperious:

Thats what im saying only I didn’t say specifically that AARHE is house and AARHE 1939 is a variant. One takes the OOB and tweeks it, the other takes even more ideas for a totally new map/game.

I have never read anything about AARHE… just never has the time.  Your answers were nebulous and aimed towards someone who might have some idea what AAHRE is about… which I do not have.

I didn’t know there was multiple versions of AARHE.

THAT explains how it can be both since there is MORE THAN ONE version.

And secondly why does this matter so much to you?

It’s not that it matters so much to me, I just wanted to know how you can classify ONE rule set into two categories.  More of a simple logic question as opposed to anything else.  I have nothing personally against AAHRE at all.

So a logic question can not be posed without someone taking it so personally?

• So a logic question can not be posed?

Sure can. And now you know: AARHE is more than house rules as i was explaining before, except i didn’t specifically add the 1939 part which is a totally new variant because i thought you saw the numerous posts regarding it and might have understood this already.

• @Imperious:

So a logic question can not be posed?

Sure can. And now you know: AARHE is more than house rules as i was explaining before, except i didn’t specifically add the 1939 part which is a totally new variant because i thought you saw the numerous posts regarding it and might have understood this already.

See, you are still missing it.  Your explanation ASSUMED that I had some knowledge of AARHE, when I have none.

I was asking a logic question like:
    “How can a tomato be a vegetable AND a fruit?”

The correct answer should have explained to me that the ‘tomato’ is not just one plant, it’s two plants… not just some conceptual answer like how great Fruits are and how vegetables invariably lead to a better diets.

:? :? :?

• ok then thats what ill use in the future:

“that the ‘tomato’ is not just one plant, it’s two plants”

Logic can be fun if used in this manner… i suppose.

This sounds like one for Yoper. Where is that kid?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m