How does one get a post to be a sticky?

• Well, it depends what we are trying to stop.
    Jen’s solution reduces the free ride damage of destroyer bombardment.
    Your solution reduces the chance of sucessful landing from the free ride.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’m thinking of more along the lines of least impact on the game.  Negating the opening fire from bombardments is a violation of Revised, LHTR 1.3 and LHTR 2.0.  Which is fine, since this is AARe not AAR, but it is something to consider.

The idea I posted, which is growing on me more and more, fixes abuse of destroyer bombards at a cost, and only for the one nation that’s most abused by destroyer bombardments.  It also does not kill their utility, it just allows the defender to dig in, absorb the hits in the landscape and fortifications, and then return to their posts to fire on the landing crews.

• next thing someone uses the uber destroyer strat against Japan… :wink:

and then we bring back dug-in defenders and let have it like the proposed Altantic Wall

• I have been trying to fine tune this ALllies DD strat (it’s not infallible, but it works well as a ‘surprise’ sort of move.  If the Axis are ready for it, it can be countered, at least that’s what my game play testing has been proving.

so IMHO (and another respected player of mine), no NA modifications are needed.

But more game play testing is underway to further confirm this concept.  2 Weeks.  It’s out there now in our group, so we’ve discussed way to improve it and ways to beat it.  Seems like any other move~counter-move in AARE.

It won’t work as well against Japan.

In order to get to the point you are bombarding large stacks against Japan, you are assaulting Japan itself and if you are at that point, I submit the game is already over.

Most islands, IF you have to attack, will be against 1, maybe 2 infantry.  You can normally handle that without DDs getting unbalanced since you are also only using America.

In Europe you can see 14 British Destroyers and 14 American Destroyers easily.  That’s 14 hits on average that cannot be responded too.

• @Cmdr:

In Europe you can see 14 British Destroyers and 14 American Destroyers easily.  That’s 14 hits on average that cannot be responded too.

Holy shiite!

That’s a lot of DDs!

That’s like 8 rounds of buys for US, maybe 10 for UK.

Using THIS strategy, the game would be over long before round 10.

Not as bad as you think, really.

Remember, during that time Germany’s still suffering a large pounding, and if you have Lend-Lease + Russian Rail they have no hope of getting either Karelia or Caucasus for at least 6 or 7 rounds, plenty of time to get those destroyers running.

Also, with the approrpriate NAs the costs are a lot lower then expected for the allies.  126 IPC each, not 140.  And the allies only need to put 18 IPC worth of gear on the map a round, for ground units.  (12 IPC to be converted to Russias, 3 IPC each to land in W. Europe/Norway/Germany/E. Europe to get the bomberdments.)

• @ncscswitch:

I see several sub-topic discussion on AARe, but no overall rules topic.  Which thread do you need stickied?

Can you sticky this post?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11203.0

Thank You!

• @axis_roll:

@ncscswitch:

I see several sub-topic discussion on AARe, but no overall rules topic.  Which thread do you need stickied?

Can you sticky this post?

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=11203.0

Thank You!

Done!  :-)

BTW,

I’d like to see a few more VCs.

Germany should have one in Warsaw and Kiev. (That would be E. Europe and Ukraine, I believe.)
    England should have one in Cairo (That would be Egypt, I believe) and Toronto (E. Canada)
    Japan should probably have one in the E. Indies; it was a MAJOR target in their campaign after all.

That should even out the VCs so that each side would need 12. (instead of 11/10.)

I’d even suggest moving the American VC from Hawaii to Midway.  For some ungodly reason, no one ever makes Midway important, and yet, it was THE turning point in the real war!  At least with a VC there, it may be contested for once.

As for Hawaii, I just don’t see the strategic importance in history of making it a VC.  Even the Japanese never bothered invading it.  They landed in Attu Island and attacked Midway. (BTW, Attu for those who do not know, are the Alutian Islands which are part of Alaska.)

Be intestesting to allow a limited land bridge between North America and Russia along those islands too.  If you own Buryatia, SFE and Alaska you may move 2 infantry or 1 armor from/to Alaska to SFE without needing a transport to do it.  Might entice America to focus more on Japan and keep Russia from just abandoning the worthless states in the east for the lucrative states in the west as well. (Besides, it’s not easy to keep all three of those states!)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m