What ended up happening in that proposed free for all late last year

• 2018 2017 '16 '11 Moderator

We rightly stipulated that a nation could not surrender all its territories to another, Switch.

And Japan did not leave Tokyo unprotected.  It just put its fighters where it thought they would do the most good.  You, however, kept trying to get him to suicide all his fighters on a kamikazee mission (which would have doomed Japan one turn later instead of the turn it fell.)

And yes, everyone else was going after Germany, so I did not have too.  But even if they were not, I still would not have since I was in no position to get into that mess.

As for lightly defended islands, after his fleet was sunk, what did you want him to do?  There was nothing for Japan TO do.  He was effectively out of the game at that point, it was just a matter of his armies getting the notification.

• Wow, the rehash is almost as tumultuous as the orig. thread. ~ZP

• @Cmdr:

As for lightly defended islands, after his fleet was sunk, what did you want him to do?  There was nothing for Japan TO do.  He was effectively out of the game at that point, it was just a matter of his armies getting the notification.

I was referring more to the end when they completely vacated the asian coast and took all their planes out of tokyo as well.  As an outsider, that looked to me as if Japan was promised it would be spared if they went to contest asia.

I don’t remember the circumstances of the fleet conflict (who had the numbers advantage/who initiated conflict, etc), but I was also surprised japan didn’t at least attempt to rebuild fleet to cut you off.  Even though you won, I seem to recall your fleet was pretty decimated too.

Whatever.  All I know is that it was a good read regardless.  🙂

• 2018 2017 '16 '11 Moderator

He kept asking for promises but I never gave him any.

He almost had to vacate the mainland coast to stop Germany from over whelming him.  As for Tokyo, that was not so much abandoned since he didn’t have a way to get his forces off Japan.  His fighters were already in Russia stopping Germany from taking Moscow.  It was a catch 22.  He could let Germany win by evacuating Russia to protect Tokyo, or he could have a better fight against America.  America only won because I lucked out and got into that bottom 22% where the attacker actually survived.  He still had about an 80% chance to win, though, I had the forces to do a second attempt later if I wanted too.

Germany, on the other hand, was telling his ally to not only give up Asia so he could take it but to suicide his planes into America and hope enough hit that the American navy would be set back a round or two.  Not a very good move, IMHO, since the suicide fighters still had a 33% chance of missing EACH and you had to pre-declare all your targets, so you couldn’t even see if the fighters you sent after a specific boat actually HIT that boat before declaring the next one.  That means you’d have to dedicate 4 fighters to sink a battleship, 2 to sink a carrier, etc.  You could send half that much, but you’d be relying on luck.

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.5m