• I have question about submarines

1: Do submarine have two attacks (one of opportunity) each round or they just fire it once like the AAgun and
            battleship while an anphibious assault ?

2:And when they are a destroyer in a naval combat with enemy subs…. do the enemy’s subs still have an opportunity
            attack but the unit touch can counter attack or the just lose their opportunity attack?

Thank in advance and sorry for mistakes and senteces structuring, english isn’t my first language (it’s french)

• @wrigleys:

I have question about submarines

1: Do submarine have two attacks (one of opportunity) each round or they just fire it once like the AAgun and
            battleship while an anphibious assault ?

2:And when they are a destroyer in a naval combat with enemy subs…. do the enemy’s subs still have an opportunity
            attack but the unit touch can counter attack or the just lose their opportunity attack?

Thank in advance and sorry for mistakes and senteces structuring, english isn’t my first language (it’s french)

1. Submarines attack once per round as any other unit

2. Regardless enemy destroyer is present or not, the subs always have an opportunity to shoot.
    The enemy destroyer simply allows to its troops the chance to retaliate to your own subs attack before its units are sank.

hope that help, English is not my mother tongue, its Croatian so…feel free to ask better explanation if you like

• Amon is correct.

SUBs (on both sides) ALWAYS get to fire first in any given round of combat.

If there is a DST present on the “other side” of the combat, any SUB hits are treated normally and any ships hit by SUBs can still fire that round in their regular combat cycle.  If there is no DST present, SUB casualties are taken immediately prior to the continuation of that round of combat.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think it is important to note that the ONLY casualties from Submarine Fire are naval units.  This is important because people would obviously prefer to lose a defending or attacking fighter instead of a damaged battleship, but if it was a submarine that scored the hit, you MUST lose the battleship, NOT the fighter.

You laugh, but this has come up MORE then once now!  And I think you should be aware of this, it’s a good way to kill off enemy ships if you are losing, but cannot hope to retreat and regroup.  (Either because you are defending or because he’s just too strong.) This way you can select fighters for casualties to save your submarines and make repeated attacks on his ships.  If your opponent is silly enough to sink everything but carriers and damaged battleships, this could REALLY pay off for you!

• @ncscswitch:

If there is no DST present, SUB casualties are taken immediately prior to the continuation of that round of combat.

just one thing, we had the situation in the tourn. game  Sub Dude against JWW

the above what switch said is correct, but there is one sub casualtie that isnt removed in opening fire and its submarine

so if you attack sub with your sub and have a des present, nonetheless you destroy the enemy sub, that very sub will have the chance to return fire

please correct me if i am wrong

and i must admit wasnt sure about this too much, but JWW wrote in his thread that you Switch told him so, so i accept it, since you know the rules very well :mrgreen:

• That is correct, and the reason is that BOTH attacking and defending SUBs fire AT THE SAME TIME in opening fire.

So it is impossible for a SUB to kill another SUB before it can shoot back, because they both shoot at the same time…

The infamous “Torpedo in the water!” remark from movies like “The Hunt for Red October” comes into play here…

:-D

• to keep it simple

submarine fires in opening-fire, all the time
    hence it gets to fire regardless

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m