• Official Q&A

@ncscswitch:

But another significant change in “3rd edition”…

ARM can move 1 move before boarding a TRN.  That can be HUGE against someone who does not realize it…

My 3rd Edition rulebook explicitly says this is illegal.  Could you double-check yours?  Thanks.

• @Krieghund:

@ncscswitch:

But another significant change in “3rd edition”…

ARM can move 1 move before boarding a TRN.  That can be HUGE against someone who does not realize it…

My 3rd Edition rulebook explicitly says this is illegal.  Could you double-check yours?  Thanks.

That is not based on the rules, that is something that Hasbro CD-Rom (the only 3rd edition of the game that I know of) allows.

Fire up the CD and test it…  :-)

• Official Q&A

So the rules say it’s illegal, but the program allows it.  In my business, that’s what we call a “bug”.

• As I said, I have never seen a printed 3rd edition rule set, so I go by what the game allows.

Hasbro also has “scorched earth” and “paratrooper” options.

• Official Q&A

There should be a PDF file of the rulebook on the CD.

• '10

1. Yes in addition more than one aagun is allowed to be in each territory.

2. All the PBEM clubs use 2nd edition or 4th edition rules.  Only AAWC uses 3rd edition.

2a) maybe somebody but I don’t know him.

1. A popular one is axis advantage- Germany starts with jets and Japan starts with supersubs.  Big advantage for axis in a tech game.

3a) Not sure since I’ve never played a 1-hit battleship game.
    3b) That is a rule in 4th edition…never tried it myself though.

1. The CD-ROM won’t allow the rocket to move during combat.  It fires during combat if within three spaces of an enemy complex.  It is like having a free bombing run every turn.

2. Sounds similar to the wolfpack rule…which is used in some club games.  The rule is enemy aircraft cannot attack a submarine unless friendly naval units are present.

Some additional comments to other posters on this thread:

-Moving an armor one space before boarding a tranny is a game bug and illegal to do in rated games.  The CD will also allow you to move through a canal in all circumstances…just don’t break the rules.

-There is a downloadable 3rd edition rulebook on the AAWC site…it is under ‘Other options’ under downloads.  You need Winzip to open it.

• Correct you cannot move a tank one space and load a transport…legally. It is a bug.

The program also had a bug where you can attack a territory with the bomber and if it had a factory you can both take IPC away and use the bomber in combat… not legal

Their is one set of sea zones on the map that allow a ship to move three spaces ( its in the sea zones east of Australia or near S america i forgot which… not legal

A few other bugs as well. I really wish that game was fully working on XP. I would play that any day than triple A because it at least looks like a decent map.

• '10

The 4.2 patch fixes the double bomber bug fyi.

Lots of players who have XP can play in the Warzone…the 4.2 patch makes this possible as well.

Problem is when people with Vista try to play the game…that problem hasn’t been solved yet.

• I can;t even get my PRINTER to work with my new Vista machine…  :roll:

• Wow. Some really informative and helpful replies. Thanks.

@kurt3892:

-There is a downloadable 3rd edition rulebook on the AAWC site…it is under ‘Other options’ under downloads.  You need Winzip to open it.

I downloaded that–thanks for the link–and it is the .PDF of the manual for the game. It explains the “Third Edition” rule changes, but isn’t what I’d consider an actual new edition of the rulebook.

If there never was a full rulebook that was included with any print runs of the board game, or available for download/purchase to owners of the board game, that makes it more understandable that the non-CD-ROM-based A&A crowd pretty much universally sticks to Second or Fourth Edition rules.

Also, it would take some creativity with the bits to bring the Marines and Destroyers from Iron Blitz over to the board game. If I were Hasbro, I would’ve prepared a “Third Edition/Iron Blitz Expansion Pack” to sell in stores with a shiny new rulebook, and pieces for the two new unit types, when Iron Blitz came out. But that would’ve required the project as a whole to have been much better-conceived than it actually was, I guess.

(For instance, how incompetent do you have to be to print way, way too few copies of even a poorly executed computer implementation like A&A: Iron Blitz, and never press any fresh CDs even when used copies turn up on eBay for $100-plus? Was there some reason they left money sitting on the table like that?)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m