• Just curious, what is the typical move for the Russian sub on the first move?

There aren’t many options and the scenario is almost always identical (nothing too significant happens before russia’s non-combat move that would effect the sub’s movement order).

My group doesn’t play online (I might journey into it eventually), but we typically move to the English fleet for protection (afterwards, different things happen)

Occasionally, somebody will park it off the coast of Norway.

There are only four things you can do with the sub ( i think ), what do you do with it ?

• link with the uk navy if i even remember it’s there.
    if the bid looks like for the Germans like they may try to go for the UK on G1 i can see moving the sub to block, but that would be the only other move i can see doing with it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Most German players aren’t going to try to make the link on Germany’s second turn, rather waiting until Germany’s third turn when they can have a chance to have their two fleets even remotely positioned right.

Thus, most Russian players will put the Submarine in SZ 2 with the British Battleship and Transport.  This stops Germany from attacking with 2 fighters, bomber and submarine to sink the second British Battleship. (Fighters can land in Norway.)

• @mjkusn01:

Just curious, what is the typical move for the Russian sub on the first move?

There aren’t many options and the scenario is almost always identical (nothing too significant happens before russia’s non-combat move that would effect the sub’s movement order).

My group doesn’t play online (I might journey into it eventually), but we typically move to the English fleet for protection (afterwards, different things happen)

Occasionally, somebody will park it off the coast of Norway.

There are only four things you can do with the sub ( i think ), what do you do with it ?

Well, let me ask you what you want to do with your sub.  Either you want to increase its options for the next turn and possibly distract the Germans (move it west but don’t join the UK fleet), or help the UK fleet survive and increase its options for next turn (join the UK fleet).

Since you can’t count on the Germans losing their heads and sending a fighter after the Russian sub, and since helping a 24 IPC UK battleship survive is arguably a good investment for a 8 IPC sub that isn’t going to do much other than block a German invasion of London, it is LOGICAL for the Russian sub to join the UK fleet.

• I was under the impressio that only the Norwegian fighter could make it to the English fleet on the first move … is there another ?

• German BOM, Norway FIG and SZ8 SUB.

• :-P
    Well, there goes Jen again, sending ghost units into battle. :|
    No wonder she wins so much! :wink:

• @Crazy:

:-P
    Well, there goes Jen again, sending ghost units into battle. :|
    No wonder she wins so much! :wink:

Jenforces > strategy

Join teh jenforces!

Sorry, mis counted.  Yea, only the Sub, Bomb and Fig can make it.  Was thinking that the W. Europe Fig could too, but didn’t have the board in front of me at the moment I typed it.

I never send Ghost units anywhere in my strategies.  However, those who shoot down my strategy ideas like to use the same units three different ways in the same game round to stop them in their arguments.  If it wasn’t so sad, it would be hilarious.

Honestly, I love it when people say they are going to send the SZ 37 fighters to SZ 52, India and China all on Japan 1.  And yes, some of YOU have made that argument.

• More important practically: Russia forgets about moving the sub (yes, to sz2 with UK btl tra) say in 5-10% of games.

• What are best German exploits ?
    • What are best Allied ways to mend ?
  • 2007 AAR League

Germany should then attack the Sz2 units with bmb, fig, sub.

Allies are then in deep kimche.

• @Magister:

More important practically: Russia forgets about moving the sub (yes, to sz2 with UK btl tra) say in 5-10% of games.

• What are best German exploits ?
    • What are best Allied ways to mend ?

I’ve only done that once in my life before. and unfortantually it was during the two on two tourney. The best thing germany could do is attack the UK fleet round 1.

BTW, that submarine does not become useless once the Germans lose the ability to win against the Allied navy/navies.

I like to send it to Southern Africa to ‘persuade’ Japan not to make a Brazil run, at least, force Japan to commit more to a Brazil run then what is normal and optimal.  It also keeps Japan honest by not leaving transports out there undefended.

And, finally, I’ve had a situation where Japan FORGOT the Russian submarine was down there by Madagascar and been able to attack his battleship and 3 transports with 3 fighters and a submarine. Odds are, he only gets one hit, you get 2, that’s a good trade!  Japanese transport which is useful for Russian submarine which is not so useful. (I actually got 3 hits to his 1 that time, but I was lucky.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m