Presidential Election (as a current event- watch the tone or it's gone)

• i was simply pointing out that IMHO dezrtfish’s statment seamed to be more political then Jen’s and he was telling her to be careful, i didn’t say he edited in the way of taking out any thing.
    it’s hard for you to talk about a political race and not talk politics, it’s just the nature of it.

with what Jen just said, i think we had it happen 3 times in the past. i could be remembering wrong though.

• 2007 AAR League

edwards needed a second place finish to be alive down the road.  with him still in it, any suprises that destroy peoples electability can be spread through three people……him, clinton, and obama.

i think that pollsters at the very end(b/c hillary was beating him until the end) decided it would be better to have 3 people still able to be a candidate rather than 2, and switched 1% point.

but hey, thats just crazy talk.

other than this, why in the heck dont people like Mccain.  he hasnt done anything bad…he’s a maverick in the senate, votes both ways,  he isnt a loyal soldier for the republicans(IMHO a good thing), was right on the way all along(need more troops), has true social conservative values (not like romney the liar and guiliani the fake), and called southern evangelicals freakin’ nuts…what else to people want?

• McCain isn’t liked by the Democrats because he has an “R” next to his name and by the far left because of his support of the millitary, so he can’t win or sway there votes.
    he is disliked by the Republicans because he has had as you say “votes both ways”, he has voted for things that Republicans and the Right don’t agree with in the past and this hurts him a lot. you can’t vote against your base and expect your Base to support you.
    i will say this, McCain and Guiliani are the best two on the war, but they hold values (for diffrent reasons) that are hard for the Conservatives to stand behind.

• 2007 AAR League

what values does he hold that conservatives dont like.  he is a social conservative.

• McCain-Feingold comes immediately to mind.  As does his partnerships with Kennedy on several major issues.  And then there is his support of what the Right called the “Amnesty Bill”

Also, Rush Limbaugh has been doing a hatchet job on McCain since before the South Carolina Primary in 2000, and has never let up.  That is 10-20 million Conservative voters every week that hear an repeated and vehement anti-McCain message, and have been hearing it for 8 consecutive years now…

• you said it your self with “votes both ways”, if you vote for say earned citizenship for illegal immigrants in the US, then you are voting against what conservatives want. you can’t argue that he hasn’t voted with the left when your own words not 2 post before said he has. that puts him as having views that are not in keeping with the conservatives that are his base.

• 2007 AAR League

i sooo dislike rush.

but that should prove his openness to others.  i dont like amnesty, but reasonably, and i agree with him, we really cant round up mexicans and kick them across the border.  what he wants and i want is the guard on the border and a huge wall and no new mexicans.  the ones already here get to stay.

his agreements with any kennedy are loathsome but eh……i forget what their bill was about…wasnt it the immigration bill?

• you asked “what values does he hold that conservatives don’t like”, you got it. the point is as you said, he votes both ways as you also said, you are making 2 arguments that contradict each other for him.

• 2007 AAR League

i was talking social values.

he hasnt voted liberal on any social values.

he’s only crossed over on policy issues and for some weird campaigning issues.

• it dosn’t change that he has voted on things that the bulk of conservatives don’t want or agree to, the boarder is a major issue to most conservatives and by voting and pushing in a way conservatives don’t want is a large hurt for his bid to be president.

• You may want to check his voting records on the various abortion votes before you say he is a social conservative…

• 2007 AAR League

wha……!?

he voted for abortion at some time?  say it aint so joe.

• 2007 AAR League

i just checked it…… its all good.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Well, I would like to reiterate that, at least for myself and hopefully for the rest of the party (even though I’m a registered Democrat, I consider myself Republican) we appreciate Mr. McCain’s service as a soldier, especially considering his circumstances and are glad that he is continuing to serve at the national level as an elected leader.

That said, however, I don’t know anyone, left, right or center, who wants him to be President.  He’s too unpredictable, and much of his votes and actions are questionable in our minds.  To be honest, I think he’s been in Washington DC too long and has forgotten what the American People want.  I only say this because of the total, and complete, social unrest every time bills that hinder freedom of speech or grant amnesty to illegals come up for a vote. By which I mean our vociferous resistance to their passing, not any militant actions.

As for Edwards, I never expected him to have a chance.  Now, I do.  And, I think, of the three leading Democrats, I am more inclined to vote for him, at least he’s a member of our generation, not a hold over hippie from a bygone era.  Actually, having left Fred Thompson’s side, if Mitt Romney doesn’t get the nomination, and Edwards does get the nomination, then I will, most likely, vote for him (just as I would have in the last Election for Howard Dean.)

• I was shocked that Huckabee won Iowa. I didn’t expect he’d get any wins. I thought seperation between church and state was important to voters. well romney is now ahead of huckabee now.

• Romney just won WY today… well at least it’s not offical, he has over 50% of the delegates in the state with only a few left to go.

edit:
    i have just spent some time on project vote smart’s web site, McCain has according to it been pritty much anti abortion, at least thats how i understood his voting record. he how ever has had a flip on issues such as English as the US offical language, had has voted for other issues in ways i don’t see as conservative. now i didn’t spend fore ever on each thing but it did help me and i think it should help others to look hear to see voting records for the canadents.

if you mean the seperation in that he is a minister, then that is not how the constatution is meant to be, it is meant that the church can’t tell the government what to do and the government can’t tell the church what to do (policy wise), also that the US can not hold any religion above another, force any religion, or pesacute any religion based on the religious beliefs. this dosn’t mean that a religion that dose human sacrafice can hid behind religion for murder, it means that the government can’t stop a person from practicing there religion how they want so long as it dosn’t hurt any one.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Cyan,

Remember he’s a Baptist Minister running in the Bible Belt.

My 2 cents right off the bat: I think that Guiliani’s “9/11” buzz has finally worn off.

GG

• '19 Moderator

@Pervavita:

@dezrtfish:

I gota say I would have loved to discuss a “caucus” with someone who has been to one, especialy a Democratic one.

if any thing this seams to me to be more political then Jen’s statment as you brought a perticular party up. is it because you would want to go to the Dem Caucus because you support the Dems or because you would get a good laugh out of it. ether interpritation would be political.

I mentioned the Democratic Caucus, because it is different than the Republican style.  The Republicans just vote and go home.  The Democrats have a series of votes from what I understand.  But Like I said I havn’t been to one…

• i’m not an expert on how Caucus’ work, i’m sure most people arn’t, so with out knowing how they work exactly it looks like what you said was politically backed. now if what you say is true (i have no reason to doupt you, i’m just saying) then it’s not political in the way i thought it sounded before. but it dosn’t change that with out knowing how caucus’ work accuratlly it did look that way, and with that it did look wrong that you were asking another to tread carfully when it looked like you your self did other wise.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m