How to handle multiple AA Gun fire at aircraft

• I don’t think the A&A rules are clear on the issue of firing multiple AA guns at aircraft. I see two ways to perform the calculation and I don’t think they yield the same results.

For example, say I have 4 fighters flying over 3 territories containing AA guns (during combat movement of course). I see two ways to resolve combat:

1. Roll 4 * 3 = 12 dice and determine the kills.
    2. Roll 4 dice for territory 1, remove the kills. Roll N dice for territory 2 and remove the kills. Finally, roll M dice for territory 3 and remove the kills.

Do both methods yield the same results in terms of probability?

• @ssolie:

I don’t think the A&A rules are clear on the issue of firing multiple AA guns at aircraft. I see two ways to perform the calculation and I don’t think they yield the same results.

For example, say I have 4 fighters flying over 3 territories containing AA guns (during combat movement of course). I see two ways to resolve combat:

1. Roll 4 * 3 = 12 dice and determine the kills.
    2. Roll 4 dice for territory 1, remove the kills. Roll N dice for territory 2 and remove the kills. Finally, roll M dice for territory 3 and remove the kills.

Do both methods yield the same results in terms of probability?

I don’t believe so. You are reducing the number of dice rolls with number 2 for every ftr killed. Let me clarify, with #1: You will always roll 12 dice. With #2 - say you shoot down one plane in territory 1 - the most dice you will roll will be 10. If you shoot one in territory 1, then 1 in territory 2, the most you will roll would be 9 dice - total. This means that overall, the probability of the 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) hit might drop over time (as you lose planes and you decrease the number of shots).
    Is my reasoning faulty here? Please point out if so.

• In the rules book i bealieve it states

If the aircraft fly over an enemy territory containing an anti-arcraft weapon, then that weapon also fires at the aircraft. This does NOT occur on your non-combat phase of your turn

This leads me to bealeve that you would do each seperatly, because the AA gun in the teritory is shooting at the planes over the territory. If some dont reach the area, the guns cant shoot them right?

• @Rommel34:

In the rules book i bealieve it states

If the aircraft fly over an enemy territory containing an anti-arcraft weapon, then that weapon also fires at the aircraft. This does NOT occur on your non-combat phase of your turn

This leads me to bealeve that you would do each seperatly, because the AA gun in the teritory is shooting at the planes over the territory. If some dont reach the area, the guns cant shoot them right?

exactly.
    i answered the wrong question :)

• @cystic:

You are reducing the number of dice rolls with number 2 for every ftr killed. Let me clarify, with
    #1: You will always roll 12 dice. With #2 - say you shoot down one plane in territory 1 - the
    most dice you will roll will be 10. If you shoot one in territory 1, then 1 in territory 2, the
    most you will roll would be 9 dice - total. This means that overall, the probability of the 2nd
    and 3rd (and 4th) hit might drop over time (as you lose planes and you decrease the number of
    shots). Is my reasoning faulty here? Please point out if so.

I think you are correct in your logic. It doesn’t make sense to shoot at all the aircraft since
    some of them might not have made it through each of the territories.

So, although aa gun fire is technically resolved during combat movement, it is more convenient to
    resolve it during combat. Thus the extra “AA gun fires” step in the land combat sequence. If we
    were to follow the rules exactly, you’d need to have multiple rounds of combat with each aa gun you
    flew over during combat movement one gun at a time (order doesn’t matter). You need to track which
    plane came from which territory as well because it is possible that you may choose to shoot down a
    plane that defined a retreat territory. Whew!

Does anybody know how the CD-ROM version handles all this? (I don’t have a copy)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m