• 2007 AAR League

anyone play any of these yet?

right now i’m in a ftf game with my buddy in the tripleA version.  he printed out that damn map using kinko’s.  its already been an 24 hour game.  we are on turn 12 with every turn being about 2 hours to complete.

anybody play the other version on battlemap.  seems simpler and quicker.  the other one is just massive.

if anyone ever wanted to play on this forum, let me know.

• can we see a jpeg of the map?

• 2007 AAR League

i’m not so great with computers.  how would i do that?

i have tripleA.  i can open it and hopefully copy it, but how do it jpeg it?

• well describe it. Is the map cheesy like triple A maps or is it better?

what are the pieces and their values and costs?

• 2007 AAR League

the map is intense.  very many spaces to move across and huge armies.

its the whole globe, navies in the pacific even.

for units  A/D/M/C

infantry 1*(artillery2)/2/1/3

calvary 2/1/2/3

artillery 2/2/1/4

AA gun the same 5 ipc

fig 3/3/3/8

zepplin used to strategic bomb……if in a battle super weak  1/1/6/10

tons of naval units but the subs and battleships are the most important.

transports are super important and expensive  a sub is 8 a trans is 12 a BB is 18

8 nations

i’ll try to get a pick

• fighters are too powerful, but otherwise decent

• 2007 AAR League

me being germany austria and the ottomans, i’ve bought wings of fighters around 16 of them.

and they are way too expensive for any other nation to buy alot of.  france has 4, UK 5  austria 4, ottomans 2,  america 3,

italy and russia are out of the game…they had a few.  :evil:

but you really have to concentrate on land units to hold the ground.  and there are a lot of spaces on the map.

i’ll figure out how people show the maps on these forums with tripleA, then post it.

• @balungaloaf:

i’ll figure out how people show the maps on these forums with tripleA, then post it.

What version of Triplea are you running? The more recent versions of Triplea include a feature to save a screenshot of the entire gameboard (Game > Save Screenshot…). ~ZP

• 2007 AAR League

must not be recent.  if you guys have tripleA downloaded, it should be on there.  but maybe different versions have different games.

• '19 Moderator

I’ve played it, it’s pretty good, but it’s huge, the western front is a pull out window.

The main problem I had with it is the Western front is too easy to bypass.  It is way shorter to go through Northern Italy and just hold on the Western Front until you surround it.

Of course I have limited experience aganst live opponents, mostly just played against the computer or my self.  I have played half a game and then switched sides…

It’s a fun set up and the guys here have been pushing me to set up a multi player game with a couple hours a week type schedule.

• 2007 AAR League

i’m down for it.

this game is taking forever.  we are on turn 14 which we decided we can build tanks then.  i dont think it will help my buddy though.  i’ve already taken out russia and italy…and the ottomans have taken out cairo and liberated africa and subjugated british africa.  and then took india.

the western front is a massive slaughterhouse. there are a lot of ipcs to protect. i pushed all the way to the edge of the western front taking both his factories from france but couldnt hold them and had to retreat b/c the HUGE untouched british army was in the north and were coming south to cut me off.

its a really fun game to play without the computer to make stupid moves over and over again.  i figured out some really good builds and ideas so far.

so once again, if you’re going to play a game online with tripleA count me in if you have enough room.

oh and northern italy is the KEY as i have found out also.  but my buddy has reinforced peidmont every turn with tons of frech infantry.  the austrians are building up to smash through in a turn or two.  :evil:

• '19 Moderator

The Guys usualy want to set up friday night games and use skype, if anything happens I’ll let you know.

• 2024 '22 '21 '19 '15 '14

I made this game. Well, half of it anyway. Its a little cheesy probably, but mostly because of the limitations of the game engine. I can say that some unit values have been adjusted for game balance. Zeps, Cav etc. I think the latest version is well balanced.

I spent many hundreds of hours working on this thing, but there are some parts of the map I’m still not happy with though. The Western Front and the Africa Boxes are not as straight forwards as I might like, and some other elements could be improved. Convoys work well, but aesthetically I don’t dig how tripleA draws them in.

When I first made the map with Surtur, the idea behind the game was that it would be exclusively PBEM. That’s why the first round is so ridiculously involved. I wanted a map where players could spend a good amount of time trying to map out their turns, so that the game would seem more dynamic in email. If you look at the turn order and the pricing structure, over all money, the whole thing is geared toward long turns in quick succession for email games. Usually it takes about two weeks to finish PBEM. Some people still go after these endurances matches in the lobby though.

Anyway, I’m glad to here that at least a few people are enjoying it. I really just used it as an excuse to push the Misc Image feature, and to see how far we could push the A&A ruleset. Mostly we were just experimenting with ideas though.

Pact of Steel was originally done in the same way. I just wanted to see if we could open up the code to include more than 5 players, and to test some other ideas. I’m still surprised how many people took to the idea. For me it was always kind of a novelty and inside joke to have Italy in there. What we were really more interested in was messing around with the Pacific hehe. Still I think these custom varients can be fun.

Ultimately I still enjoy the Revised map the most, and I prefer the standard dice rules. It was fun to branch out though and try to make other games based on similar principles. The thing I was the most proud of with the Great War, was the naval game, which is still a lot of fun. I also think it demonstrates the idea that more money and more production encourages players to try more radical builds.

I don’t think it would ever work as a board game though. Too many units and territories to keep track of, even on the computer it tends to get a little overwhelming. :)

Thanks for checking it out though. If you ever want to PBEM just drop me a line jasonwclark@gmail.com

Oh and here is a screenshot in case anyone is still interested

• Black_Elk, as one of the creators would you be able to help me with some questions?

Are fleets supposed to be able to move through enemy fleets? I don’t remember this being the case in Revised (or really any version of A&A – except that subs can, in some versions), but I wanted to make sure, because I know Great War thinks outside the box.

I’ve heard that very large bids are necessary in order to give the Allies a fighting chance. Do you know what a good bid is and if there are other stipulations? I just read over at TripleA War Club that bidding 100 isn’t out of line, but with a bid that big I’d think the Allies could squeeze out the Ottomans or powerfully exploit other weak points.

• This is an old thread.

Black_Elk hasn’t been active in this forum since March 2009.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m