• what do you think about idea that guests have their topic in which they can write what they want, and we too :)  except politics afcorse

maybe we hear some good critics about this website, the sistem of tournaments, the games we play, about us…stuff

and we might attract more players to come by this

what do you think???

• Good, but, how would the guest post something without creating a profile?

• in most servers guest can post in some forums, there name is set as Guest in some and in others they just make a name that they want so long as it isn’t a user name.
    there are some benifits from this, but not many.
    i say go for it, at the least it allows accuale users to make a post if for some reason they can’t long on for what ever reason or need.

• The goal here is to encourage guests to register (it is free), and to participate beyond 1 or 2 posts.

• '19 Moderator

Yeah, we used to do that.  It mostly incourages spam.

• i find that most spamers have turned to making accounts for just that one “spam” post.

• Most people aren’t willing to waste time creating an account just for a couple of spam posts. People who actually care about A&A will spend the time to make an account.

• i am an admin on another site, i see a lot of accounts created for the purpose of creating SPAM; i think of the just about 50 active users we have another 20 that could be spam accounts and i have deleited atleast 40 accounts that were created to spam.
    my point is that i think this is a good idea as most spam bots creat accounts any way to spam so by not having it you arn’t preventing it all.
    the advantage to this is that atleast you funnel the Spam to one place if it is SPAM, if not as is intended new people can post with out joining for that 1 post, or just to draw them in.
    it could also be a good place to set a new potental Admin to mod so they can take care of it.

• We actually have not had any spam account issues since Spring.  We cleared out about 50 accounts then, and to be honest, it has not come back up.

There may be spam accounts here, but the forums are virtually devoid of actual spam (I have deleted 2 or 3 spam posts in my time as a Mod)

Prior to restricting posting to registered users, it was becoming a SERIOUS problem though.

• No “guest” accounts whatsoever!

That word alone: GUEST= Spambot as far as the internet is concerned.

In fact all new accounts should have the title “spambot” or “Phisher” as their rank until they post. I don’t know anybody who would join a site and not post, unless its for a nefarious purpose.

They don’t post because their IP address is logged and they don’t want permanent ban. Even if you ban them they pop up after resetting the IP address on their router.

I am administrator on three different sites and have to block entire prefix of IP addresses to defeat them. If i ever met the SOB who does this crap id be in jail, but they would not fair too well either. :evil:

• '19 Moderator

@Imperious:

I am administrator on three different sites

That reminds me when are you going to aprove my registration at thewargame.com :-P

• that was done on the first day.

you see the membership list?

your before Kurt - Denker whom i personally know.

i always decline those stupid “aforiminishisht” type of names…all spambots

• Is there any way that we could make some sort of requirement that must be fulfilled before joining? Like answering some basic questions about A&A or WW2 history?

• thats a good idea… it should also ask:

are you some lowlife spambot who’s trying to infect other computers with bogus sites in order to get more internet hits or latter send them spam? or are you an axis and allies player?

they will be required to copy and paste the correct answer to continue

• @M36:

Is there any way that we could make some sort of requirement that must be fulfilled before joining? Like answering some basic questions about A&A or WW2 history?

maybe that would chase off the new players :? :?

• Considering the almost complete lack of spam on this site, I don;t think we currently need to make any changes…

• True, just a possible solution if spammers do discover a&a.org

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m