New Big 60'x30' World Map! (Global Conflict)

• both PNG and TIFF support lossless compression
    and compresses well for cartoonish art

but only PNG can be viewed in most browsers

what don’t you like about PNG?

• Customizer

Tekkyy I am nowhere near a photoshop expert.  The map was my first and only photoshop project I have ever worked on. I just learned as I went along.

Imperious Leader  I mailed the disk yesterday. 
    Enjoy.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Tekkyy I am nowhere near a photoshop expert.  The map was my first and only photoshop project I have ever worked on. I just learned as I went along.

Thats fine.
    I was hoping I could ask you questions regarding information transfer between photoshop and illustrator thats all.
    But my problems are fixed now.

• BOB:

Thanks again. Your artwork will only improve. This i can guarantee as your the project coordinator and Tekkyy and I will be the ‘set designers’ for this variant meeting your approval.

Since its your philosophy to use pieces from other AA games i would consider the new cruisers from Guadalcanal, The new German fighter, tank and trucks from Bulge as follows:

Cruisers  takes 2 hits attack and defend at 3, cost 16… perhaps a AA roll on planes or moves 3 spaces?
    Make German stuka a dive bomber ( attack at 3 defend at 2 cost 7?)
    tiger tanks ( elite Armor=SS Panzers)  attack and defend at 4 or 5 one built per turn cost 8-9
    mechanized infantry  attack and defend at 2 move 2, cost 4

• Customizer

After having some conversations with my brother, another A&A fan, I’m considering adding these as new unit stats.

Cost  Attack  Defense  Movement  Other
    Destroyer        10        2          3            2        Revised sub detection rules
    Cruiser            14        3          3            3        Combined Bombardment technology                   
                                                                            applies only to cruiser
    Aircraft Carrier 16        1          1            2        (lets be honest, an aircraft carrier
                                                                            without any fighters on it is a sitting
                                                                            duck)

The next few units I hesitate a bit because it would make some countries with more unit possibilities as others  Right now Germany has one special unit (blockhouse) and Japan also has one special unit (komakazi Plane)  I have toyed with the idea of letting each country have one nation specific unit, but again that would still leave Germany with too many units.

Cost  Attack  Defense  Movement  Other
    Supply Truck      3        0          0            2        Act as land transports (effectively
                                                                            creating the possibility of mechanized
                                                                            infantry)  I’m not convinced that this
                                                                            is necessarily the best use for these
                                                                            trucks.
                                                                            Perhaps instead trucks can be used to
                                                                              carry two infantry into battle. 
                                                                              These infantry attack at 2.
    Me 109              8        2          3            4        Dogfight (attack 1, defense 1)
                                                                              German only
    Tiger Tank          8        3          4            1        (historically these massive tanks
                                                                                proved very difficult to move into
                                                                                position due to their extreme size.
                                                                                They proved to be much better on
                                                                                defense) - German only

• Yes aircraft carrier should attack and defend on 1. Its really just a transport for fighters.

Duno about naval units defending stronger than attack (destroyer). Another reason why I like  the new carrier stats.

Yeah supply truck might not be the best use.
    Consider mechanized Infantry. Cost 4 Attack 2 Defense 2 Movement 2.
    May blitz. Or may blitz when matched with tanks 1-to-1.

If using as land transport then how about let it transport artillery as well?

Yes Tiger had its reliablilty and manuevor problems. But it still had range to take out enemy tanks outside of their firing range. Could consider letting it take 2-hits.

• Customizer

Two hits on a tiger is a good idea.  Sherman tanks (and i know the Russians didn’t use these tanks, and USA and Britian had other tanks, but they were a very slim minority) had difficulty piercing the Panther tank’s armor.  Quite often Sherman shells simply bounced off the Panther’s armor.  The Tiger, and particularly the King Tiger had much more armor than the Panther so two hits sound like a good idea.  The point of limiting the range was to avoid blitzing with this tank. This tank strength was definitely not blitzing.

The supply truck/mechanized infantry situation is a bit harder.  It must cost less that a tank and at least as much as an infantry. That leaves its cost at $3-4, probably $4. The key is to make it different, not necessarily better than infantry and artery.  Infantry and artery (and tanks) must be the backbone of land warfare.  I would hate it if we found game after game, people building more trucks than infantry or artery.

Tekkyy I like your mechanized armor idea, but am afraid that it will discourage people from buying artery.

The point of making a destroyer attack 2 and defense 3 is simply to shake up and add variety to sea units.  The addition of a cruiser necessities lowering the destroyer’s stats.  However if we drop it to A2 D2 then its too much like a sub.  By varying it’s attack and defense values (and by making cruisers faster) it allows for much more varied naval strategies.  Something I cant see as a bad thing.

• the mechanized infantry does not boost infantry. its only benefit is it can move faster.

sometimes you need that +1 boost for matching infantry. I think both are viable units and one will not overshadow the other.

i also like the tiger tank idea with 2 hits, except moving 1 like infantry is a real broken unit for 8 IPC, but i guess it will have to be played to be sure.

You can instead of tigers call them SS Panzers and give them back mobility and attack at 4, while training would only allow one built per turn. Tiger tanks were not really built in huge quantities to be a “piece” but yes i know its for fun.

• Nice map, I like it

• Yeah wouldn’t worry about it replacing artillery. Artillery gives boost to infantry. And infantry is built in large quantities.

You would only build lots of mech infantry if you intend to attack lots defend little and hence prefer mobility. You have mech infantry because they keep up with tanks.

Thats mean mainly US would build much of them. Which interestingly is just about real.

• Customizer

Clarification,

Does the truck represent mechanical infantry by itself, or would you need to bring an infantry piece along with the truck?

• It would represent mechanized infantry by itself.

You might be able to justify it transporting one infantry in non-combat.

• yes but only really:

Soviets
    Germans
    Americans

all should have mechanized infantry. Lend lease gave alot of trucks to Soviets, and Germans upgraded infantry units as motorized and Panzer Grenadiers

Japan and UK were less mobile.

• Ok got the disk…

I cant open the artwork unless the layers are collapsed in one layer, which renders it useless. The map is 261 MB and i need to get it under 75 MB or i cant load it. I can open it but cant make any changes in color or anything, which is not good. try to get it in a smaller format.

I wonder what kind of computer you got that can open a 261 MB file artwork easily. It probably takes you 30 minutes just to save the file.

The larger file is like 300 MB

what computer you running?

• Customizer

Imperious Leader
    My computer isn’t that fast.  Its about 750 MB running xp.  I takes 3 minutes to load or save.  Like I said on the disk.  I made the map using a trial version, so I cant make anymore changes to it for the time being.  The Print at 50 percent PNG file is exactly what the photoshop version looks like once its merged, minus the two added sea zones.  I used photoshop cs3 extended trial demo to make the map.  Here is the link https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop

• ok buddy. Ill try and load it up and see what happens. But i have never got a 260+ file to ever load up…

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

Two hits on a tiger is a good idea.  Sherman tanks (and i know the Russians didn’t use these tanks, and USA and Britian had other tanks, but they were a very slim minority) had difficulty piercing the Panther tank’s armor.  Quite often Sherman shells simply bounced off the Panther’s armor.   The Tiger, and particularly the King Tiger had much more armor than the Panther so two hits sound like a good idea.

But they were deployed in far fewer numbers… so a single tank represents perhaps 100 German tanks, but perhaps as many as 500 Russian tanks. So 1 hit is still representative… besides, if you only have the Tiger tank left, the German player should think about retreating!

• Customizer

Just updated some minor changes on the maps.  the links in the first post now go to the updated maps.  Both are in PNG form.

• But they were deployed in far fewer numbers… so a single tank represents perhaps 100 German tanks, but perhaps as many as 500 Russian tanks. So 1 hit is still representative… besides, if you only have the Tiger tank left, the German player should think about retreating!

well then you could have them

cause

two hits for each hit, or they take one hit and can rebuild for 4 ipc ( half price)

OOB thinking BTW

• Customizer

Imperious

I emailed you the background image of the map in a couple of formats.  I hope it helps. (I got the files as small as I could.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m