• 2007 AAR League

I’m getting more interested in playing team games - it forces me to go at a slower pace.

Now, we have a singles tourney and a 2 on 2 tourney, and a singles league. It would be nice to have a 2 on 2 league. We could even have team names.

Me and Bean could be “Dragon Army” (or was it Salamander?)

• Dragon Army! That’s the one that Bean picked out for Ender!  :evil: I’d be up for teaming with you mr Ender.

I’d be up for a team game except as you might know I’m slow on pasting moves due to low internet access; I can post on Fri/Sat/Sun only.

• There is obviously some TV show with which I am not familiar.  Please explain the Ender/Bean references for those of us who are un-initiated.

• Nope, it’s not a TV show. It’s based on a book written by Orson Scott Card called Ender’s Game. It’s a pretty quick read and it’s an awesome book. Basically the plot is Earth is in jeopardy and they’re training brilliant children through questionable means to destroy the enemy. It has a clever twist and lots of solid war/lies themes.

• Oh I guess I should explain also: Ender is the name of the main character. His real name is Andrew except his nickname is Ender because of the way that his sister used to pronounce his name when she was really young (well they’re still young in the story like 10 or something like that). He has the best potential among the kids training for the war.

Bean is the name of one of Ender’s classmates at Battle School. While not revealed overtly in Ender’s Game, Bean is actually more brilliant than Ender in terms of tactics. You find that out in a parallel book called Ender’s Shadow, which is Ender’s Game told from Bean’s perspective.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Ender’s Shadow > Ender’s Game, IMHO.

Anyway, a team league could be fun.  Give us a lot more practice with our teammates for the tournaments!  Right now it’s hard to get team games started, in my perception.

• I think Ender’s Game has better quotes.

Ender’s Shadow is a lot more focused and doesn’t have weird things like the cocoon at the end of Ender’s game, and it’s also very clever with how it ties in with Ender’s Game.

Extremely clever, IMHO.  Especially since the entire rest of the series sucks.

Ender’s Game was awesome, and Ender’s Shadow was awesome.  I think Ender’s Shadow does a very good job of explaining how things came to be in Ender’s Game.  It’s like Mr. Card was forced to edit Ender’s Shadow out of Ender’s Game and later decided to convert those sections into a story for another character just to reintroduce the missing elements back into the story.

• 2007 AAR League

I’d be keen for a team based league, I’m assuming Nix if he’s keen will be my Partner. If it get’s up and running, count me in.

• 2007 AAR League

Hey, I was trying to start a league, not a book club  :lol:

I guess we could just get djensen to open a new league forum, and see what happens…

Alternately, you could just let teams play in the League, with teams getting a standing just like individual players.

@Ender:

Hey, I was trying to start a league, not a book club  :lol:

I guess we could just get djensen to open a new league forum, and see what happens…

Alternately, you could just let teams play in the League, with teams getting a standing just like individual players.

Sorry darlin.  :P

Anyway, last thing I have to say about books: If you like Ender’s Game, you should read Midshipman’s Hope by Feintuch.

Anyway, I think we should pester djensen for a league forum for teams. :P  I think it would be fun!  Many of us only get to play one or two partner games a year here, not a lot of time to practice tactics!

• 2007 AAR League

I’ve pm’d djensen and DM, we’ll see what happens.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Anyway, I think we should pester djensen for a league forum for teams. :P  I think it would be fun!  Many of us only get to play one or two partner games a year here, not a lot of time to practice tactics!

Are you still teaming with Frimmel? I wouldn’t mind starting with a nice easy win… :evil:

@Ender:

@Cmdr:

Are you still teaming with Frimmel? I wouldn’t mind starting with a nice easy win… :evil:

JWW, but he needs to calm down before the holidays.

I can ask if he wants a friendly game 2 on 2 with you and your buddy ol’ pal. wink

Can’t say it will be easy though!

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

@Ender:

@Cmdr:

JWW, but he needs to calm down before the holidays.

I can ask if he wants a friendly game 2 on 2 with you and your buddy ol’ pal. wink

Can’t say it will be easy though!

Yeah, I’ve played JWW, he’s pretty good.

Yes he is.  He tends to get a bit irate when his battleships couldn’t hit an island multiple times in a row, but who can blame him for that?  I can’t!  Hell, i get irate at my fighters routinely. (my infantry still have a better attack success percentage then my fighters, btw.  Except when paired with artillery!)

I wouldn’t object to a Team League, but I really don’t know how the participation would be or how we would set it up.
    But I’ll see what the other Mods think.

Why not just set it up like the individual league, but extend the time to post without delay of game warnings to 48 hours?  Highly doubt it would ever be an issue, everyone here seems to post REALLY fast and if there is a late post, most players are willing to accommodate them and/or they have a really good reason (ie: on a pre-announced trip or it’s a holiday, etc)

• 2007 AAR League

@DarthMaximus:

I wouldn’t object to a Team League, but I really don’t know how the participation would be or how we would set it up.
    But I’ll see what the other Mods think.

As to participation, I don’t see that as an obstacle. If only a few teams sign up, it will just be a small league. There’s no loss, it’s not that hard to simply set up a new forum. The work of tallying rankings can be left to the participants.

As to setup, it would be exactly like the current league, just insert the names of teams where you now have individual players.

Maybe we should just set up a child forum for team games as a test bed, and start a league in 2008 if it seems worthwhile.

• My concerns regarding a 2-on-2 League…

1.  How to handle when a partner disappears during the season
    2.  How to rank players if they replace their partner mid-season

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m