• I was kinda surprised and a little dissapointed that the U.S. Marines are not making an appearance in Guadalcanal. I just assumed they would use the dark green inf from Pacific again(it would be too cool I guess if it was a differnent mold). I do give them props for using the Hellcat from Axis & Allies Pacific instead of the P-38 Thunderbolt. Was anyone else expecting or dissapointed that they are not in the game as a separate piece? Once the game comes out it would be cool to have house rules to add them into the game using the AAP peices.

• Im sure i will whip up a batch of those house rules…using the older standard combat system or something close.

but i will have to see how the game plays first

• That is a good question. There should be Marines. I guess we are meant to assume that all INF are Marines?

• @frimmel:

That is a good question. There should be Marines. I guess we are meant to assume that all INF are Marines?

wern’t all the men who served in the campgian  Marines or navy?

• Guadalcanal was not fought by all marines.

According to wikipedia:(which is not always entirely accurate)

Order of Battle United States

The US landing force on Guadalcanal was under the command of Marine Major General Alexander Archer Vandegrift. On December 8th he was replaced by Army Major General Alexander McCarrell Patch, who took command of the U.S. XIV Army Corps on January 2nd.

Marines
    1st Marine Division1
    1st Marine Regiment
    5th Marine Regiment
    7th Marine Regiment
    11th Marine Regiment
    1st Amphibian Tractor Battalion
    1st Aviation Engineer Battalion
    1st Parachute Battalion2
    1st Pioneer Battalion
    1st Raider Battalion
    1st Special Weapons Battalion
    1st Tank Battalion
    2nd Marine Division3
    2nd Marine Regiment
    6th Marine Regiment
    8th Marine Regiment
    10th Marine Regiment
    2nd Amphibian Tractor Battalion
    3rd Defense Battalion
    9th Defense Battalion
    2nd Raider Battalion
    2nd Special Weapons Battalion
    2nd Tank Battalion
    Notes:

The 1st Marine Division was commanded by Major General Alexander Archer Vandegrift. The majority of the division arrived on Guadalcanal August 7th. 2nd Battalion 5th Marines and elements of the 1st Pioneer Battalion arrived later in August. 7th Marines and 1st battalion/11th Marines arrived September 18th. The division began withdrawal from the island December 12th.
    Arrived September 8th; departed September 18th.
    The 2nd Marines were attached to the 1st Marine Division for the initial landing on August 7th, although the 1st and 3rd battalions were initially employed on Tulagi and Gavutu-Tanambogo islands. The entire regiment was on Guadalcanal by November. On November 4 the 8th Marines landed, and the remainder of the division followed in December. The division came under the command of Brigadier General Alphonse De Carre.

Army
    25th Infantry Division1
    27th Infantry Regiment
    35th Infantry Regiment
    161st Infantry Regiment
    8th Field Artillery Battalion
    64th Field Artillery Battaltion
    89th Field Artillery Battalion
    90th Field Artillery Battalion
    65th Engineer Combat Battalion
    Americal Division2
    132nd Infantry Regiment
    164th Infantry Regiment
    182nd Infantry Regiment
    221st Field Artillery Battalion
    245th Field Artillery Battalion
    246th Field Artillery Battalion
    247th Field Artillery Battalion
    57th Engineer Combat Battalion
    147th Independent Infantry Regiment3
    97th Field Artillery Battalion
    214th Coast Artillery Regiment
    244th Coast Artillery Regiment

Notes:

The 25th division arrived by January 4th, 1943, under the command of Major General Joseph Lawton Collins.
    The 164th arrived October 13th; the 182nd on November 12th, and the division HQ and 132nd on December 8th. The division was under the command of Major General Alexander McCarrell Patch.
    Arrived November 4th.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m