• Now, here is the thing…

You don;t do this when Germany is stacked heavy.

You do it when Germany is stacked modest…  15 or so units, a mix of INF and stack anchors.

If they are stacked heavier, then you work around the north side (Norway, Karelia, Eastern, and flow forces toward Russia to take the pressure off the German push on Moscow).

Like most strategies, it is not an “always use, always works” strat, it is an opportunistic strat that you utilize when Germany has tried to hold too much territory and still press on Moscow.

• it is an opportunistic strat that you utilize when Germany has tried to hold too much territory and still press on Moscow.

That makes more sense, see I knew there were some significant strings attached!

• There are ALWAYS strings.

This game is too complex to create “always work” strategies.  Hell you could not do that for Classic with a typical bid, and that was a far simpler game…

• It’s just that it’s hard for me to justify in my mind throwing 64 IPCs to destroy 30 IPCs unless you are making truly significant leaps in land territory to make up for that difference quickly.

• Drop the number of INF in Germany and re-run the sim.

Then I think you will see the point.

• 2007 AAR League

thought this topic was about Cyan?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It’s always hard to spend more then your opponent.  But if the allies are earning more then Germany (ie America + England >= Germany’s income + Russia) and Germany’s got 3 smaller stacks of 15-25 units in E. Europe, Germany and W. Europe, it can work out.

Bear in mind, that in the circumstances I, personally, would use it, Germany’s earning in the 30s to low 40s, so losing 10 infantry a round is almost their entire purchase.

For example, Germany has 20 units: 15 Infantry, 3 Armor, 2 Fighters.

England attacks with 4 Infantry, 4 Armor and a Battleship.

Result: Germany down 3 to 5 infantry (1-2 rounds of combat)

America attacks with 4 Infantry, 4 Armor and a Battleship. (Takes 4X4 transport system)

Result: Germany down 3 to 5 infantry (1-2 rounds of combat)

That’s just average, you may get lucky or unlucky.  Either way, however, Germany’s lost a huge chunk of their army and cannot stack sufficiently.

Now, I’m of course assuming those are the numbers.  There are circumstances when it would work a lot better or a low worse.

What if Germany only had 10 infantry, 3 armor, 2 fighters?  Or no fighters and only the infantry and armor?

You have to make conscious decisions.  But the idea is to bleed Germany.  It’s like SBRing only you take more away from Germany and don’t risk high value bombers!

• Just remember it cuts both ways, just as Germany isn’t stacking as efficiently, neither is UK nor US. Eventually you will have to try to take the capital and don’t be surprised if you have nothing in Europe to stack with if you continually suicide like that.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If you can keep Germany’s stacks down, then Russia can eat some of their land so they eventually start being unable to keep their stacks up, then , hopefully, you can make a lightning strike with England and America to take Berlin using the fighters and bombers you have not yet been risking.

But as I, and Switch, have said, it’s really situationally dependent.  This is NOT going to work in most games, I’d even say it wont work except when you’ve been relatively lucky for a few rounds.

• 2007 AAR League

um… im bored waiting for my opponents to go, so I thought id add my 2 cents.

As the allies, I would rather have 16 guys in EEU, WEU, LEN, or NOR than 0 guys and 6-8 dead Germans.

that is all,

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m