• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Craig,

I and a buddy on here have been play testing LHTR 2.0 and we’ve found the allies to be significantly over powered with the average technologies.  The nerfs to the axis do not balance out.  Yes, the allies were nerfed too, but the axis more so.

BTW, the dominant strategy for LHTR 2.0, so far, is KJF.

We’ve played with a few options.  Right now we’re testing what happens if you just pick your NAs instead of randomizing them.  Under randomization the allies lost once in 5 games, and that was because Russia and England both got the STUPIDEST advantages possible while Japan and Germany got some pretty powerful ones.  Even then, it was pretty darn close. (England had Mideast Oil - Useless in KGF and almost Useless in KJF and French Resistance which is also pretty useless.  3 infantry are not going to make much of a difference in holding W. Europe or not.  Maybe in pushing forward faster, IF you get W. Europe and hold it.)  (Russia’s were not much better.)

Anyway, from what I can tell, LHTR 1.3 is the most balanced.  With each nation getting average National Advantages (3-4 good, 2-3 bad/moderate) the axis wins 40-60% and the allies win 40-60% with 3 ipc bids.

But that’s just my experience with it.  I’m a pretty good shot at KJF lately, and the NAs kinda assist in KJF (Enigma, Colonial Garrison, Radar, War Economy, Marines, Non-Aggression, Rail, etc, etc.  Almost all of them seem to make Japan easier to crack in 1.3 and even easier in 2.0.)

I guess if you only play tested going KGF you might think LHTR 2.0 is more balanced. (Though, to be honest, I’d say drop the stupid german scientists and bring back Fortress Europe.)

• I think that that didn’t go anywhere because of problems that would arise from people have two different versions in their Revised game box and that anyone buying a game from the store wouldn’t know whether they were getting the old rules or the new rules.  Or newbies not knowing that there were two different versions of the rules out there.

How about put both in future boxes?
    Then new buyers know about LHTR.
    Old buyers who still plays would be enough of an axis and allies fan to know the deal imo.

• IMHO the changes in LHTR do not make enough of a change in the game to make the Axis preferred.

NAs are relatively balanced out.  I think the LHTR NAs are far superior to OOB or OOB/FAQ.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@newpaintbrush:

NAs are relatively balanced out.  I think the LHTR NAs are far superior to OOB or OOB/FAQ.

I certainly agree here.

My only bone of contention is that LHTR 2.0 seems to have unbalanced the NAs some.  I like the NAs from Revised the best, but LHTR 1.3 had some good ones.  (Sorta wish Russia had more useful ones though.)

• I need some transport help people. Let’s say I’m the UK and want to amph assault multiple German territories. Am I allowed to load up two infantry on one transport, drop one off in combat and take a territory, and then in NC drop the other inf off in/on friendly territory? I can’t remember whether or not I can do that or whether it is legal/illegal. Any help would be great. I hope I was clear.

• No, you can only land from a TRN in one territory, and you can only land in either combat or non-combat.

The only exception is a National Advantage that Japan could possibly get that allows them to offload INF into 2 different territories that touch the same sea zone during Combat Movement from the same Transport.

• Once you unload the transport you cant pick up more stuff. You can load stuff from different places in either phases, but you can only drop off in one place, except in NCM you can bridge infantry in two different territories adjacent to the same sea zone your in.

• So I can’t load up an inf and arm, drop the inf off in combat, and then drop the arm off in NC?

• Oh oh, what about just picking up the inf first in combat, dropping him off, and then in the NC take an arm and bridge it to another territory?

As an example, I take 1 inf, 1 arm from the UK, drop the inf off in combat to WEU, and then in NC land the arm in already UK-controlled Norway. Is that legal? That is the problem I am having because I don’t want to drop the arm off in combat, I just want to transport it.

• Once a TRN offloads, its move is OVER.  So if you offload in Combat Movement, you have no more usage of the TRN that turn since its move (including use as a bridge) is already complete

• Official Q&A

Unless the transport carrying it retreats from a naval battle, in which case it can’t unload.  :-D

• Official Q&A

The important things to remember here are these:

1. Units can’t move during Combat Movement unless:
      A) they’re attacking, or
      B) they are sea units moving to avoid a battle.

So, if you load units onto a transport during Combat Movement, it means you are planning to use them in an amphibious assault this turn.  If you’re not attacking with them, they must load during Noncombat Movement.

1. Units that moved during Combat Movement can’t move during Noncombat Movement. (In LHTR, the exception to this is air units, which must move during NCM if they moved during CM, unless they’re fighters in the same sea zone with a carrier.)

2. Once a transport unloads, its move is over.  It may only unload into one territory.

If you remember these things, everything else pretty much takes care of itself.

• You can’t split your unload.

that sucks. everybody has been doing it incorrectly for years. Bridging was a standard move for NCM

• @Imperious:

You can’t split your unload.

that sucks. everybody has been doing it incorrectly for years. Bridging was a standard move for NCM

Note:  I ain’t everybody.  I bin doin it the RIGHT WAY!

none of this newfangled battery powered nonsense.

• Forget the term “bridging” exists.  That word creates more errors and is a worthless description of using a transport to move units with no movement of the transport itself.

You can pick up and unload units without your transport moving from one sea zone to another (which is what “bridging” means).  BUT, all units must offload to the same territory (either in combat or non-combat movement as folks have specified above).

The only exception to this in Revised is Lightning Assaults national advantage for Japan listed in the OOB rules.

You will find the “into one sea zone” restriction listed in LHTR in Appendix 1 under the description of Transport.

• Official Q&A

That’s correct.  It was legal in 2nd Edition.  In Revised, however, “bridging” simply refers to moving units by transport without the transport actually moving.  There are no special abilities granted to the transport or the transported units due to the fact that the transport doesn’t move.

• '19 Moderator

I’ve done some calculating and I think you would be safe to make a rule that if any nation parked 45 transports in the English chanel sea zone they could legaly bridge to Western Europe.  This is based on the lenth of a standard liberty ship and the width of the english chanel at the strait of dover.

Just throwing that out there…

• I didn’t know liberty ships were a half mile long each.  Learn something new everyday. ;)

• '19 Moderator

lol, it’s 245 my proofreading skills need work and this isn’t near as funny now.

• @dezrtfish:

…this isn’t near as funny now.

I don’t know about that.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m