• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Hobbes,

I had Japan invade Brazil, build an IC and start invasions of W. Indies and later E. USA.

My opponent wasn’t the sharpest stick in the world, but it was a fun game!

• 2007 AAR League

I find that the Jap fleet can be very helpful in bombarding Egypt / Persia / Trans-Jordan etc.

Also, if you can get some units through the Suez in time, it can really prolong the life of the German fleet in the Med.

No disagreement here.

After Africa is secure, though, pushing through with the Japanese fleet can be a wise decision since it threatens the American shuck and the British shuck usually forcing them to pull their airforces back or build warships or both.

• I find that the Jap fleet can be very helpful in bombarding Egypt / Persia / Trans-Jordan etc.

I think this is something very interesting to investigate. Use 2 transports and shuck units from the Indian complex into these areas to up the pressure on the Allies? The Japanese have 2 bbs and a big airforce to spend in Africa while the Allies don’t really want to spend all day in there with the Germans on their minds.

No use investigating this, it’s pretty much standard operating procedure.

Though, I’d like to investigate the potential of sailing the Japanese fleet around the Cape of Good Hope (think that’s the one) off the coast of S. Africa and going up to SZ 12 to spit in the face of the allies. =)

Better make sure you keep some cash in reserve to throw down a fleet in SZ 60 if America get’s fancy though.

• Japan fleet in the Atlantic is only an issue of the UK is LOCKED into landings in Archangel.  Otherwise, it is a suicide move for Japan.

• Well I can’t say I would have a whole lot of fun with the Japanese fleet threatening the shuck fleet going from E. Canada to London. It’s probably suicide to try to go after the advance fleet which has all the US and Uk combo in there, but the support fleet is not that well defended usually.

• Perhaps with some players, not with me…

• Well even if it was poorly defended you would pretty much need to have 4 fighters with your Japanese fleet to get something done, which is a pretty big waste of resources IMO sailing so far off when your fighters could be used to threaten Moscow, trade Africa, or defend territories.

Well, 2 Battleships, 2 or 3 Destroyers, a half dozen submarines, a couple of fodder transports and 4 fighters in the Atlantic under Japanese control at the very least would dictate a response from the allies.  Otherwise, SZ’s 1 and 10 get blockaded ending the American influence in the war.  Sure, the Combined Allied Fleet might survive a direct assault, but no one said the Japanese need to attack the Allies.  They just have to get in the way, right?

• If Japan is THAT heavy in the Atlantic, then the Allies are sitting pretty, because Japan is pitifully weak in Africa, Asia, and the Indian Ocean… not to mention ripe for a US PACFLT…

@ncscswitch:

If Japan is THAT heavy in the Atlantic, then the Allies are sitting pretty, because Japan is pitifully weak in Africa, Asia, and the Indian Ocean… not to mention ripe for a US PACFLT…

As I said, Japan has to hold some cash in reserve to plop down a navy in SZ 60 if America decides to get fancy and try to put a transport in SZ 55 for free island grabbing.

If Japan is THAT heavy in the Atlantic, then the Allies are doomed, because the Allies are absent from Africa, Asia and the Indian Ocean AND their main life line to Russia is severed reducing Allied reinforcements to expensive fighters and bombers and giving the Germans a reprieve from allied one two punches to European landings.

After all, it’s relatively cheap to put two existing fighters on a carrier in SZ 60 and sink whatever America puts in SZ 55 with the loss of 1 or 2 fighters.  Much more expensive for America to build a Carrier, 2 Fighters, Transport(s) and submarines to start to make a threat in the empty Pacific.  Not to mention, that’s 2 or 3 rounds of expenditures in the Pacific while Japan clears up the American and British fleets or locks them in SZ 4/5 while the Germans and Japanese kill off Moscow.

• 2007 AAR League

Umm - I don’t think that a Japan fleet sufficient to guard a TRN off Brazil is necessarily a strong enough fleet to wipe out the UK and US fleets - both of which are much more quickly reinforced in the atlantic than the Japanese fleet.

BTW, Jennifer, when are you going to shorten your sig? It’s a bit long, and I’m tired of reading Ivanova’s ranting and raving.

• I think Japan moving in the Atlantic might be a good one,

Not really to attack, but just show your shining white teeth to let them watch their moves twice, and give Germany some hope on a bette rnavy (if needed) Mostly the German fleet is doomed, if not correctly handled and a bit luck, or just no Allied force attacking.

Going for Brazil, and/or Africa with your navy might sound nice, stick them into S17, this is just out of range from Washington, but you can reach: S7, S8, S9, S11, S12, S19, even Paris and London are in reach of you,
    Only problem: if you placed an IC in Brazil, you need to move first to that one to continue your move.

I think I could try this one, but it needs lots of patience to act wisely there, and I doubt if an IC is the solution,
    Not quiet sure.

• I’m a fan of banging up Africa with the Japanese navy =D

• I usually try to get Australia and then move to Madagascar and then Africa with part of the Japanese fleet, leaving the other part in sz60.
    A fast raid in Brazil, with Africa fleet may divert USA attention from Europe.
    The problem is that Japan should not divert too much ships from sz60 so it is not “safe” to stay in Atlantic.

• @Romulus:

I usually try to get Australia and then move to Madagascar and then Africa with part of the Japanese fleet, leaving the other part in sz60.
    A fast raid in Brazil, with Africa fleet may divert USA attention from Europe.
    The problem is that Japan should not divert too much ships from sz60 so it is not “safe” to stay in Atlantic.

True,

You should keep enough backed-up in the Pacific, around Tokyo. (a few transports, 2 destroyers submarine might sound good enough?)

• Ideally I try to preserve the Japanese fleet a s long as possible.
    So usually I try to let in sz60 at least 1 AC and 1 BB. The cruise to Australia and then to Africa is executed by the other BB and the other AC.
    If Japan have only 1 BB and 1 AC, then 1 DD and as many Subs is possible have the task to defend sz60.
    If Japan have less than 1 BB and 1 AC there is little hope of being able to go to Australia and then Africa…  :-D

The point is, the Japanese fleet is just as far from Brazil as a solitary Japanese transport is.  So why not move it all?  Especially if you have a good beach head in Egypt and Russia’s turtled in Moscow?  It’s a good opportunity to stop the allied shucks into Northern Asia so the Germans can get more troops to the front and you can get more to the front.

And Ender, I don’t plan to shrink it. :P  Just don’t read it.  :-D

• Move all?
    I think that is a bit too risky,

Always keep the backdoor secured, do not trust the quietness, they will be there way before you can come back.

If the US saves some money, buys hell of a navy and you are in Africa?
    It would take you around 3 turns to sail all the way back, assuming you are at Cape of Good Hope, or you can buy new stuff, say you have 36 IPC, that’s a battleship and a destroyer,

I think it is very, just say, stupid to leave nothing behind, although they might build transports a turn later and invade even later on, you’ve got a big navy fight, losing all your money on ships, not beating Russia anymore, risking the position of Germany, and being disabled of any combat except the naval war in the pacific for like 3-5 rounds? (just a wild guess)

I would not leave Tokyo behind with nothing, never.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m