• Does anyone else get the feeling that the attitude of most people is discouraging?

I get this feeling from many sources - Larry Harris says that if you want to become a game designer, basically prepare to castrate yourself because it’s so difficult. Terry Brooks says if you want to become a writer, think again because it’s almost impossible to get to the top. Six out of seven pharmacists I work with say don’t become a pharmacist, it’s not worth it, and the seventh says while he loves it, it’s not for everyone. Medical school is so hard to get into. Don’t go into the computer industry, too hard to keep your job.

It just seems weird as heck that the vast majority of people’s comments seem to discourage other people from going into their own profession. What is this about? Is it either they hate themselves so much or they’re actually just being honest and keeping it real, or is it they’re trying to weed you out so there’s less competition? I dunno. I get the feeling it’s just about keeping it honest from their perspective, but still it’s like gee, life sucks doesn’t it? =p

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think this goes hand in hand with my “Analysts Wrong” thread.  People have been indoctrinated for almost a decade and a half with doom-speak.  Everythings bad, the housing market’s going to burst, your industry sucks, the grass is greener in Scotland, whatever the tripe is being fed that week is what the people are believing.

I don’t really know what a good solution is to that.  But I don’t think the solution is to change anything.  Better to claim to want to change it and wait a week for the next crisis to hit and then forget about changing anything.

Guess the real point is for you to do your own research and make up your own mind.  Don’t let someone else feed you “facts” and try to convince you that Chicken Little was right, the sky really is falling.

• Well, let me pile on…

Stay the hell out of Environmental Service sales.

At least if you like your heart to not attack you…
    The stress is insane.

• In some cases the same people who tell you “don’t do something” say that because they don’t want to sponsor competition from yet another up and comer. A closed industry of ‘glicks’ allows the status quo to survive.

Become a brigand and kick in the doors as you choose. No knocking allowed.

• IL’s advice just doesn’t gel at all with what you’ve been personally hearing. 
    Med school was tough, and i took a huge financial hit going back to school.  If i think that someone might make a good doctor, i encourage them.  If i don’t believe they will be a good doctor, then i tell them honestly what med school and residency was like.

I believe that most people are honest, but the ones you have been hearing from have gone into something that doesn’t suit them too much.  And i wouldn’t want to be a pharmacist either - unless i’m that 7th who owns my own pharmacy.  Now when i was a pharma-rep, it was an incredibly competitive job, but aside from lacking any real meaning in my job - i loved it!

• @Bean:

Does anyone else get the feeling that the attitude of most people is discouraging?

I get this feeling from many sources - Larry Harris says that if you want to become a game designer, basically prepare to castrate yourself because it’s so difficult. Terry Brooks says if you want to become a writer, think again because it’s almost impossible to get to the top. Six out of seven pharmacists I work with say don’t become a pharmacist, it’s not worth it, and the seventh says while he loves it, it’s not for everyone. Medical school is so hard to get into. Don’t go into the computer industry, too hard to keep your job.

It just seems weird as heck that the vast majority of people’s comments seem to discourage other people from going into their own profession. What is this about? Is it either they hate themselves so much or they’re actually just being honest and keeping it real, or is it they’re trying to weed you out so there’s less competition? I dunno. I get the feeling it’s just about keeping it honest from their perspective, but still it’s like gee, life sucks doesn’t it? =p

Life is difficult for everyone.  I mean, like I’m so gorgeous and beautiiful and stuff, but my Prada watch doesn’t match my Gucci shoez!  whatever shall i do?  oh noes

Anyways, if you can’t be a game designer or author, at least you can always sell your body.  Mmmmmm.

• This thread is such a downer.

Why don’t you guys go do something productive, or, even better, reproductive.  :mrgreen:

• I still hold that people are inheritally born evil.  No one is honest or good when they are born.  Instead society moldes them into stuff.

Elementary School - Brainwashing phase.  If you do not agree with 100% of the teacher and conform you are outcasted and placed in special education for not getting along with the teachers.
    Junior High School - Reenforce Elementary School.
    High School - Waste of time and energy.  A period to keep people busy for no reason.
    College - A bigger waste than High School.  Same as High School but easier and costs money.  Some degree of being able to question professors and teachers.  Mainly however no.

In the end society likes to brain wash you into thinking that you are on the normal path and that whatever authority saids is correct.  Notice how they do not teach reasoning skills or critical thinking until usally about College and that is if you take a philosophy class.  Mainly point in hand.  Do not believe anyone unless they ground what they say to some strong logical reason.  I question my teachers all of the time, same with authority.  It is suprising how many times you can find things that they do wrong.

• '19 Moderator

@Nuclear:

I still hold that people are inheritally born evil.  No one is honest or good when they are born.  Instead society moldes them into stuff.

Elementary School - Brainwashing phase.  If you do not agree with 100% of the teacher and conform you are outcasted and placed in special education for not getting along with the teachers.
    Junior High School - Reenforce Elementary School.
    High School - Waste of time and energy.  A period to keep people busy for no reason.
    College - A bigger waste than High School.  Same as High School but easier and costs money.  Some degree of being able to question professors and teachers.  Mainly however no.

In the end society likes to brain wash you into thinking that you are on the normal path and that whatever authority saids is correct.  Notice how they do not teach reasoning skills or critical thinking until usally about College and that is if you take a philosophy class.  Mainly point in hand.  Do not believe anyone unless they ground what they say to some strong logical reason.  I question my teachers all of the time, same with authority.  It is suprising how many times you can find things that they do wrong.

Well apparently someone needs more brainwashing… :wink:

No he has a valid point, although I am not going to be totally downer on the Education system. You did well in the system Dzrt, you utilized it to your advantage (military) so in the end you can respect it. But if you are a failure in that system usually it is cause you didn’t have the resources to choose a different system… That’s what the “brainwashing” really is. Conforming to the teaching system.

I actually would have succeeded in the system, the way it is presented. The “teacher to student blackboard instruction auditory 2D format” would have been just as good as the Home School instruction I got. My brother would have failed in that system. Not cause he is a bad student, but because the system he needed was different. In fact he excelled Academically in Home Schooling, but that is a different story…

GG

• '19 Moderator

I understand what he is saying, I just thought it was ironic that someone who had been through the system (here I assume) was saying that the system brainwashes you.  No offence or disagreement intended, just a casual observation. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m