• 2007 AAR League

Hey folks - might as well share the news here - my wife Maggie and I are expecting a baby, sometime around April 18!!!

Whoopee!

Here’s a picture of the two of us, soon to be joined by a third…

[attachment deleted by admin]

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Make sure it isnt 48 hours late!  That’s Hitler’s birthday!!!

Anyway, congrats.

• Awwww yayyyy!!! baby baby baby baby aww so cute!! Yay!!!

• Or if it is only 24 hours late, it can share my birthday…

Congrats.

And as I said to others posting about impending births…
    BETTER YOU THAN ME!  :evil:

• Wow, that’s great.  Congrats!!!

(And BTW – you did good.  She’s WAAAY better looking than you.  :-D)

• Congrats as well! +1

….yet another dictater to rule the world!!  :evil:  :-D …

• Dan, in all seriousness, that is FANTASTIC news – congrats!!!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Babies are always way cuter then their parents.  Duh!  People are hard wired to protect cuteness, so babies are cute to get us to protect them.  Well, they’re cute when not crying, pooping or otherwise being a nussaince to society. :)

Anyway, April’s 6 months away, so do you know the gender yet, or do you not want to know?

• Congratulations! It is a wonderful thing!

• Congrats!  You will love it.  Just start planning and reading now, it will make your life so much easier.  And don’t let the doctors run your birth - that’s up to you and your wife to decide.  If you need help with that, I can give you some info.

I’m sure your baby will be perfect, and will complete your beautiful family.

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

Babies are always way cuter then their parents.  Duh!  People are hard wired to protect cuteness, so babies are cute to get us to protect them.  Well, they’re cute when not crying, pooping or otherwise being a nussaince to society. :)

Anyway, April’s 6 months away, so do you know the gender yet, or do you not want to know?

We’re going to have a midwife, so hopefully the birth will be pretty “personal” or whatever. But we will do it in a hospital, so if there are any complications a doctor can step in right away.

The hospital we plan to go to has really great birthing rooms, including birthing tubs, so that’s great. However, it’s a Catholic-run hospital, and for some reason they don’t tell you the gender, so we won’t have the choice anyway. It’ll be a nice surprise. I’m not sure I’d want to know before or not if I had the choice.

And Gamer, I agree - Maggie is way out of my league. I keep telling her that, but she doesn’t believe me.

And Jermo, if you have any helpful info, by all means send it!

• @Ender:

Hey folks - might as well share the news here - my wife Maggie and I are expecting a baby, sometime around April 18!!!

Whoopee!

Here’s a picture of the two of us, soon to be joined by a third…

:-o
    No good can come from this . . . nope, no good at all!!

We’re going to have a midwife, so hopefully the birth will be pretty “personal” or whatever. But we will do it in a hospital, so if there are any complications a doctor can step in right away.

(as though you cared) i approve.  Midwives are handy for low-risk births (even i can do those!) but you want to be in a tertiary care facility for those “oh crap” moments.

The hospital we plan to go to has really great birthing rooms, including birthing tubs, so that’s great. However, it’s a Catholic-run hospital, and for some reason they don’t tell you the gender, so we won’t have the choice anyway. It’ll be a nice surprise. I’m not sure I’d want to know before or not if I had the choice.

i like St. Boniface.  The OB/GYN’s there are fantastic, and with a couple of exceptions the nurses there are very nice (say hi to Lori for me). 
    The reason they do not disclose the gender is so that people won’t go and abort the undesired gendered child.

And Gamer, I agree - Maggie is way out of my league. I keep telling her that, but she doesn’t believe me.

meh!  Maggie is cool and attractive etc., but you make for a nice lap-dog . . . :D

And for people who think i’m being a jerk - you’re right, but i’ve already congratulated the boy.  Does this mean you’re into the second trimester?  Woot!

• '19 Moderator

Congrats, My new one just turned 1 month, what a roller coaster…

• @dezrtfish:

Congrats, My new one just turned 1 month, what a roller coaster…

You baby havers!!  :x
    Just adding to the population boom, urban sprawl, carbon emissions, pollution . . . you know if you want something to last forever just make it out of baby diapers and gum as they take forever to decompose.

Mind you . . . i probably shouldn’t say this when i’m really hoping to knock my girl up soon after we get married . . . .

• '19 Moderator

Don’t be a daddy hater! :-P

• Yeah, don’t knock daddy-hood until you’ve tried it – I’ve got two girls and they are grrrrrreat!

(You’re gonna love it, Dan, take it from me.  The puke and poop you could live without, but it’s a small price to pay . . . )

• Alright, Frender, here are a couple of tips.

Meet a variety of doctors beforehand so you can make a choice about how you’d like to facilitate the birth.  I hope that momma is getting her checkups, so that will give you an opportunity to meet the crew.

Develop a birth plan.  Right out everything your wife and you would like to happen at the birth, and share it with your midwife, hospital staff, and doctor beforehand.  This will diminish the number of surprises involved and make you feel prepared and confident.

Read & educate yourself as much as possible.  Be prepared because you are probably going to be taking care of a newborn and exhausted momma.  Ask as many questions as you need so you aren’t in the dark - whether it’s the midwife or the hospital staff.

Take time off when the baby comes, if possible.  You’ll regret if you don’t.

Video tape the birth because, again, you will regret it if you don’t.

Have a group of friends and family that can support you guys when your wife goes into labor.  This will help immensely.

And, by all means, cut the cord (with your teeth).  It’s not that gross.

After that, get adjusted to the new life, and love your new addition.  Time really does go by fast so savor every moment.

Oh, and don’t forget that all those mean things your wife says to you while in transition probably aren’t true.  :wink:  Just let it roll off your back.

• I have a few to add:

1.  If it’s a vaginal birth, especially in a birthing “pool”, I DEFINITELY recommend the enema (think about it).
    2.  Bring a good book for the delivery – it could take A WHILE and you’re wife may not be all that chatty under the circumstances.
    3.  If you have a weak stomach, do NOT look over the curtain if it’s a caeserean – but if you don’t, it’s kinda cool to watch.  (Think Alien :lol:).
    4.  Catch up on all the movies you want to watch and visit all your favorite restaurants now – “dinner and a movie” pretty much went out the window after birth #1.

• @Gamer:

I have a few to add:

1.  If it’s a vaginal birth, especially in a birthing “pool”, I DEFINITELY recommend the enema (think about it).
    2.  Bring a good book for the delivery – it could take A WHILE and you’re wife may not be all that chatty under the circumstances.
    3.  If you have a weak stomach, do NOT look over the curtain if it’s a caeserean – but if you don’t, it’s kinda cool to watch.  (Think Alien :lol:).
    4.  Catch up on all the movies you want to watch and visit all your favorite restaurants now – “dinner and a movie” pretty much went out the window after birth #1.

All good advise - as someone who has delievered a lot of babies, i really like #1.  Also for #3 - shortly after the walls were redone in the St. Boniface L&D rooms, a father passed out and wrecked the wall. 
    Also - a birthing plan is nice - if you have any questions, by all means you are welcome to give me a shout - just keep in mind that some “wishes” are often exceedingly impractical/dangerous/noxious to other birthing moms.  Having said that, the crew at St. B. tend to be quite accomidating, the rooms are very nice, and they really work to optimize the “experience”.

• '19 Moderator

My wife had a C-Section with both of my Girls and although I watched it’s not something I’d want on video… :|

My wife also had a tubal ligation immediately following the last C-Section that, combined with her history of endometriosis is the reason that while I was holding my baby for the first time I looked over and saw the Doc holding my wife’s uterus, that tends to fall into the “Images burned in the brain” category.

Even with all the gross stuff Like the first baby turd, which looks something like tar squeezed out of a tube of toothpaste, it’s an “interesting” experience.

:-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m