Ukraine was overpowered, now what Commander? (hypothetical)

• Attack back with everything you own,

Blitzing Karelia is a good one, but do not enter Archangel,
    You do not have enough inf to reach that (0), so you have only tanks there, and they get shot right away, for those 2 IPC, getting 2 tanks shot = 10 IPC, that ain’t worth it.

On G2, if you’ve taken back all those teritory, you could have an easy shot at Archangel, pushing Russia backwards more, hopefully you didn’t lose everything.

I would spend all my units on getting back at least Ukraine, and taking Karelia is just a gift. ;) (and if you can mange to hold it, a victory city! )

• @Bean:

On Russia 1, they struck W. Russia with 9 inf 1 art 1 arm, and Ukraine with 3 inf 1 art 3 arm 2 fig.

They wind up with 5 inf 1 art 1 arm in W. Russia, and, unfortunately for you, 1 art 3 arm in Ukraine. To complicate things, they move both of their AA guns - one to W. Russia, and one to Ukraine. Their build was 4 inf 3 art, so now they have 5 inf 1 art in Caucasus and 5 inf 2 art in Moscow at the end of the turn. Both Karelia and Archangel are abandoned.

Your bid was 1 inf 1 art in Libya.

Initial scenario not evil enough ;-)
    If Russia built 4inf 3art they will place 3art 1inf in Caucasus and 3 inf in Moscow.
    So now they have 3inf 3art in CAU, greatly increasing counterattack threat to UKR !

In that case, I wonder if I’d do instead an one-round-raid to WRU then mass in a safe® position in Karelia or BEL.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Sproit,

You know, I have to say I hate the VC idea.  Most games are conceded with the fall of Germany, Japan or Russia.  In most cases, that is NOT 9 Victory Cities which has come to be a standard of most games played in most of the clubs IN MY EXPERIENCE. (just to clarify so we don’t get some nut job who says that in the Uzbekistan Club of Male Purse Carrying Turtle Lickers they use the 12 VC system as standard.)

Germany’s fallen with the Allies only having 5 VC.

+1 Germany
    -1 Karelia
    -1 India

6 (Starting) - 2 + 1 = 5

The Axis have had games given to them in concession with only 8 VC.

+1 India
    +1 Russia

• None

6 (Starting) +2 = 8

VC is really a way to give the allies a chance to win the game without winning the game.  They don’t have to take any nation, they only have to take some territories and make sure not to lose any.  For instance, they can take Kwangtung, S. Europe and W. Europe.  Even if the axis have a 2000 IPC army and the allies a 12 IPC army, the allies win with the VC system in place.

I guess the original idea was probably (notice the hypothetical statements, no nut jobs allowed to say “no, I talked to Mr. Soinso who told me they came up with it so that People wearing purple bikinis on Wednesday in Ice Land could eat Cherry toppings on their Sundaes”, please!) to help end games before they became 100 Infantry 30 Armor, 6 Fighters defending vs whatever was attacking games like happened A FRICKIN LOT in classic!

• :-o
    Oh come on Jennifer, tell us how you really feel.  :?
    Not that it could have happened mind you, but if the Axis had conqured the Soviet Union, all of Asia, the sub-contenent and All of Africa, I can see the UK and USA sueing for peace.
          :roll:

• 2007 AAR League

I doubt that, using UK as a staging ground i’m sure they may have considered using the “nuke” more often to make the axis sue for peace.

• :-o
      Actually, from what I’ve read Germany was the first choice for an A-Bomb. If they had tried to keep fighting after the fall of Berlin, they would have gotten it first.
    The trouble was, we could not make them very quickly, we used the only two that we had to end the war with Japan, who was already trying to capitulate with some form of dignaty before we obliterated two of their cities, and thousands of its’ civilians. They were both beaten and reduced to ashes already by this time.
    My “what if” scenario had them as veritable masters of the world, except for Britton and the Western Hemisphere.
    IMHO, They could still afford to absorb a couple of A-Bombs and press the attack.
          :roll:

• @Cmdr:

Sproit,

You know, I have to say I hate the VC idea.  Most games are conceded with the fall of Germany, Japan or Russia.  In most cases, that is NOT 9 Victory Cities which has come to be a standard of most games played in most of the clubs IN MY EXPERIENCE. (just to clarify so we don’t get some nut job who says that in the Uzbekistan Club of Male Purse Carrying Turtle Lickers they use the 12 VC system as standard.)

Germany’s fallen with the Allies only having 5 VC.

+1 Germany
    -1 Karelia
    -1 India

6 (Starting) - 2 + 1 = 5

The Axis have had games given to them in concession with only 8 VC.

+1 India
    +1 Russia

• None

6 (Starting) +2 = 8

VC is really a way to give the allies a chance to win the game without winning the game.  They don’t have to take any nation, they only have to take some territories and make sure not to lose any.  For instance, they can take Kwangtung, S. Europe and W. Europe.  Even if the axis have a 2000 IPC army and the allies a 12 IPC army, the allies win with the VC system in place.

I guess the original idea was probably (notice the hypothetical statements, no nut jobs allowed to say “no, I talked to Mr. Soinso who told me they came up with it so that People wearing purple bikinis on Wednesday in Ice Land could eat Cherry toppings on their Sundaes”, please!) to help end games before they became 100 Infantry 30 Armor, 6 Fighters defending vs whatever was attacking games like happened A FRICKIN LOT in classic!

I agree with you the VC rules are a bit, well not fully closing it,

I saw before you mentioning to keep playing for 1 entire round before seeing who really won the game, and I think that is a very good one, and I would like to introduce that in my House Rules with my fellow players.

I think the 8 VC play is useless, or at least, too short, It could be managed in a round or 3,

I think the best VC rule is to have 10 out of 12, this means the Axis don’t have to invade Washington or London, and win,
    And the Allies dont need to take down the entire German force,

Historically that is also correct that you don’t kill all foe units, many German and Japanese soldiers surrendered, so I think 10 VC is the best (and keeping them for 1round)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I think the fall of 1 capitol for one full game turn (ie if it falls on USA’s turn, it must go all the way back to USA’s turn before it is a full turn) without liberation should do it.  In the case where two capitols fall (say Germany falls to England and Russia falls to Japan right after) then the game is back on keel and you keep going until one side surrenders, a capitol is liberated or another capitol is captured.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m