• I was wondering if any of you have seen this.  I am a huge WW2 geek (as I am sure most of you are), but I have not had the chance to check this out.  A guy I met once from my GFs work asked her to tell me about it (met him at a WW2 re-enactment).  At any rate the series sounded incredible.  The WW2 generation is dying off, and the series is about real soldiers who were there and fought those battles and what the war was really like outside of the bookish geek things that nerds like us read.  The guy who suggested it to me to watch, well… he dresses up in 1940s American uniforms and play fights with people.  I don’t hold it against him, I am just giving credit where credit is due.  He gets into this stuff more than I do.  That being said, this could be a really cool series.  Have any of you seen it?

• 2007 AAR League

good, i little liberal, but good.

that and they make it seem like 30% of the armed forces were jewish, which they werent. they were about 1%.  anybody else get that from the show?

• I heard someone remark that Ken Burns films seem to be a bit fixated on race.  On the other hand, both the War for Southern Indepedence and WWII had some real race issues.

• @triforce:

I heard someone remark that Ken Burns films seem to be a bit fixated on race.  On the other hand, both the War for Southern Indepedence and WWII had some real race issues.

never heard of that war before.

I knew they segregated blacks and deported Japs but I thought WWII was that racist for america.

• 2007 AAR League

indeed, thats a first for me also.  i’ve heard the civil war called many things, from the war between the states, the war of northern aggression, the war to defend states rights, but i havent heard this one.  i’m glad my repitoure is expanded.

and indeed this documentary is full of pc revisionism.  you must satisfy memebers of minorities even if it means tacitly lying to the american public and the children of america who will have a skewed sense of historical accuracy to its content.  its still good however.

• i may have coined that one.  In my studies of the Civil War, I have come to the conclusion that the only diffrence between Gen Washington and Gen Lee was that Washington won his war, and therefore became a patriot instead of a man guilty of treason.

• BTW I currently live in the south (FL) but was raised out west so I’m not biased by having been raised in Georga or something.

• 2007 AAR League

i agree, they made a run for their money but lost.  to the north, it was about first keeping the country together and then morality of slavery.  to the south it was about preventing an economic collapse if slavery were abolished.  but this is a different war.  not “the war”.

but most of the fighting men on the front lines in the infantry tended to come from the south and midwest in WWII.  the military knew who could shoot very well.  the big city boys pushed paper b/c its all they were good at.  they had probably never been camping either, so sleeping outdoors might have killed them.  :wink:

ok ok enough of me talking up midwesterners……but really anybody else watch this documentary.  some other input would be enlightening.

• @triforce:

i may have coined that one.  In my studies of the Civil War, I have come to the conclusion that the only diffrence between Gen Washington and Gen Lee was that Washington won his war, and therefore became a patriot instead of a man guilty of treason.

I heard it said before. But I only acknowledge the Civil war as the proper term and don’t look too kindly at people who use a different term such as the war of northern aggression. but back on topic WWII not civil war.

• Over all I thought it was very good once I got used to the fact that he was not trying to tell the story of the whole war, thus nothing on the battle of  britan, and little on the eastern front, but about the men and women from four towns and their personal experances durring the war.  He was trying to tell the human story, the story of individuals, and to answer fundamental questions about what it means to  be an American.  Thus the reason he has such a fixation on race.  Lets face it, it’s been a major issue in our history.

• I  watched it on PBS, They repeated it today starting at pearl habor.

Awsome show.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m