How does Germany Counter the Air Defense of Russia

• Hi

My opponent regularly buys 2 planes for England and 3 planes for US in the first turn, he then flies them over to Russia.

By turn 2/3 he has 9-10 fighters defending the Russian stack and 3 bombers

What should I do about it…?, especially if the allies keep buy planes

I remember a game recently where the US had 9 planes in England and when england landed Infantry he had those 9 planes as a backbone.

Ulrictar

• the GREat wall of AA’s

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I concur.  AA Guns + Infantry.

It would take 3 infantry kills to equate a fighter in cost and the odds of getting that in a major engagement is not very high.  Not unless he matches you pound for pound, which means less fighters.

Aim for a Round 10 death of Moscow and plan your over all strategy around that, making adjustments here and there for allied actions and dice outcomes.

• @cyan:

the GREat wall of AA’s

:evil:

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The only problem with the AA Gun defense is that it is a defense.  If the British and American fighters don’t attack you, but only protect Russians, those AA Guns become a detriment, not a boon.

• @Cmdr:

The only problem with the AA Gun defense is that it is a defense.  If the British and American fighters don’t attack you, but only protect Russians, those AA Guns become a detriment, not a boon.

then OPeration Sealion. IF england has all its units in moscow nothing is protecting London.

• Just the fgs arn’t ther, everythung else is, you’ll still have to build tps for that, which will be subject to the mass of fgs.

• You can prevent the Allies from strongly reinforcing Russia with fighters by threatening Vyborg and Leningrad early.  The only efficient way for the Allies to get fighters to Russia is through Leningrad, a distance of 4 from UK.  Fighters built in the US on turn 1 land in UK on turn 2 and Leningrad in turn 3.  They then join the Russian stack in Belorussia on turn 4.  You have until then to make sure you have enough forces forward to ensure that the Russians can’t stand in Belorussia even with all the extra fighters.  Further, funnelling fighters through Leningrad means the Allies have to divert ground units from Belorussia to prevent everything from being lost.  If so, the German player gets to choose which battle to fight, Leningrad or Belorussia.

The other thing you can do is try to get the Allied player to divert fighters to the Battle of the Atlantic by using you subs in sea zones where it disrupts the flow of fighters to Leningrad.

If the Allied player has been able to get 7 or 8 extra fighters to Russia by turn 3 or 4, Germany is probably doomed, so a combination of pressure and diversion usually prevents the fighter build up.

SS

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m