• Okay here is my goal.  Have no idea when I will be able to create such a thing.  But I think it is possible.

Here is what I want to do:
    1. 10 foot by 4 foot map or so.
    2. Hexagon spaces
    3. Introduce micro management rules to make the game more tatical.  For example railroad lines through certain hexagons could allow one to move faster.
    4. At least 100 spaces between Berlin and Moscow.

So anyhow my biggest question, is how does one go about creating a hexagon map?  Is there some special program or way of doing it?

• better 10x6 and thats too large.

If a Huge map is what you want, go 8x4 or a tad bit smaller, That way it will fit on a standard sheet of Plywood or press board.

• don’t think thats much to it
    just use illustrator or whatever vector drawning program with layers

a tactical level world map…probably need generals for each threatre hehe…a few players per power

• Customizer

Sorry, dude, but if you want hexes you can count me out.  You’re straying into Third Reich territory with lots of little cardboard chits.  Yuk!

• actually I wonder if someone has made a multi-tier game

two boards at the same time, one regional level and one tactical level

• Thanks for the advice guys.  I have made notes of the comments.

• @Nuclear:

Okay here is my goal.  Have no idea when I will be able to create such a thing.  But I think it is possible.

Here is what I want to do:
    1. 10 foot by 4 foot map or so.
    2. Hexagon spaces
    3. Introduce micro management rules to make the game more tatical.  For example railroad lines through certain hexagons could allow one to move faster.
    4. At least 100 spaces between Berlin and Moscow.

So anyhow my biggest question, is how does one go about creating a hexagon map?  Is there some special program or way of doing it?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/42438 - GMT’s A WORLD AT WAR.

• You need to do a little geometry and figure out how big your hexagons are going to be.  Assuming you are going to have at least two hexagons below South America and Africa, and one hexagon north of the coast of Norway for the Russians, you have a fixed distance.  Now divide that distance by the reasonable size of a hex to determine the number of hexes per inch.  Then measure between Berlin and Moscow and you will find out how far in hexes it will be between the two.

As far as drawing the map itself, I would call up the best photo file of the world you can find.  Then draw one zig-zag line all the way from top to bottom.  Mirror copy this line.  Add the horizontal sides between the two zig-zag lines.  Fence copy all these horizontal lines over one hex width, shifted up half a hex.  Now with this much complete, you can copy the whole thing over and over until you have covered your map.

But there is another problem …

The horizontal distance at the equator is more than the horizontal distance at the upper and lower extremes.  I believe you will need to explore a compensation system for movement to make up for that.

And then you have to find a source for the several thousand pieces needed to populate such an ambitious map.  Good Luck.

• yes so to fix that you have hexes for land and spaces for sea, but the problem with that is the issue of national borders because pieces of both sides would technically be able to co-exist in the same hex.

That is the only reason why GMT makes ‘point to point’ movement maps… because they hate ‘area movement maps’

They hate them because its not a solution THEY came up with, but Larry Harris would take the credit because any area movement map that has been offered since 1980 owes its existence to larry.

Additionally, GMT are lazy sods because they have tons of photoshopped maps they didn’t even make and simply draw boxes on these maps and finish in a days work. Its totally disengenious of them among other things.

The other poster is correct about the ocean because the world is round and it should be harder to travel along the center, then at the ends. Hexes standardizes movement but does not offer a realistic solution to the earths round surface.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m