• Hi guys

Recently I have been trying to work on my axis play as I seem to be superior at using the allies even with a decent bid.  My standard UK1 navy move is to attack algeria from sea zone 12 as well as recapturing anglo-egypt (assuming Germany has closed the canal) with the navy off the Indian coast moving to sz 34.  In the U.S turn the 2 trans and destroyer will join the U.K fleet in sea zone 12 giving defence against German air and greatly reinforcing Africa.  For UK2 I then build a carrier and move to sea zone 6 to invade Norway with U.S support.

I have thought of a G1 stalling strategy which may help delay U.K and U.S.  The build is 8 infantry and a carrier (fairly standard).  To all extents and purposes it is a normal German opening.  1BB 1Tr 1Fig to take out the destoyer in sz15.  Use the bomber to attack anglo-egypt with 2 inf 1 art 1 tnk.  Take Karelia using the infantry from Norway and take Belorussia (depending on what russia has done of course).  The difference is instead of using the German sub in sz8 as fodder against the BB in sz 13 to send 5 figs in and expect to lose one.  Leave the sub in sz8.  If 4 Figs remain 3 can land in Western Europe and 1 can land on the newly built carrier.

From here the British BB and Trans in sz 2 cannot hit africa and if the German player leaves some defence in algeria the most Britain can attack it with is 1 Tank and 1 Bomber.  If the UK player takes the bait and does the carrier build to attack Norway then the British navy can be wiped out by the German navy + airforce on G2.  Whilst Germany would lose its navy this is of no great consequence as the airforce will remain intact barring ridiculous rolls.

With the UK not effectively being able to reinforce sz12 the US can either occupy sz12 on its own (or 1 UK Trans) which means that Germany can wipe out the fleet with its airforce with minimum loss (unless it is attacking the UK navy that is).  This strategy seems to hinder the allies greatly for the cost of 1 German Fig on G1 rather than 1 German sub.  What are your thoughts about this strategy? possible weaknesses/counters?

Thanks

• nuke the Baltic fleet with the airforce.

The Baltic fleet has carrier and fighter support.  You would lose the airforce for a couple of subs in casualties.

• Torment,

If you read other threads on this board you will find that buying an AC on G1 is not such a standard opening, on the contrary it is less and less used. Massive infantry buying is what Germany needs for garrisoning WE, SE and Germany. Also massive inf build is useful to reinforce the Eastern front.

If you want to build an AC, however, your idea may create some nuisance to British, but it is not such a great advantage for Germany. British may land troops in Karelia, far from German Baltic Fleet, if British player wants.
    More probably British player will use FIG and BMB to sunk sz8 SUB, while reinforcing the fleet with an AC, and on UK2 goes in Norway. Moreover losing a FIG on the attack on the BB in sz13 is not such a bargain. If Russia conquered Ukraina in R1 then after G2 Germany has already lost two FIG, not a good thing.
    I rather prefer to send SUB on the sz13BB, saving the FIG.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

What do you do with the Australian and Indian Ocean fleets?

Are you a “slow down Japan” or a “run for home” player with those fleets?

• @Torment:

Hi guys

I find your comment sexist and inappropriate.  Or do I?

Recently I have been trying to work on my axis play as I seem to be superior at using the allies even with a decent bid.  What’s a “decent” bid?  Is that where you offer to give Demi Moore an infantry on Berlin for smooch on the cheek?  Mmm "Indecent Proposal"zorz. My standard UK1 navy move is to attack algeria from sea zone 12 as well as recapturing anglo-egypt (assuming Germany has closed the canal) with the navy off the Indian coast moving to sz 34.  Well, that’s standard only if Germany doesn’t have its fighters on W. Europe threatening threatening the sea zone off Algeria.  And if Germany doesn’t have a good-sized bid in Africa making a retake of Anglo-Egypt very risky.  And if Germany doesn’t move its Med fleet west to take Gibraltar while threatning G2 Sea Lion.  But yes, it is pretty standard, yeah.  In the U.S turn the 2 trans and destroyer will join the U.K fleet in sea zone 12 giving defence against German air and greatly reinforcing Africa.  For UK2 I then build a carrier and move to sea zone 6 to invade Norway with U.S support. Well, the US move I see.  But for the UK, I prefer to hit 4-5 transports ASAP, with the US producing carriers.  The US can afford it easier.

I have thought of a G1 stalling strategy which may help delay U.K and U.S.  The build is 8 infantry and a carrier (fairly standard).  To all extents and purposes it is a normal German opening.  1BB 1Tr 1Fig to take out the destoyer in sz15.  Use the bomber to attack anglo-egypt with 2 inf 1 art 1 tnk.  Take Karelia using the infantry from Norway and take Belorussia (depending on what russia has done of course).  The difference is instead of using the German sub in sz8 as fodder against the BB in sz 13 to send 5 figs in and expect to lose one.  Leave the sub in sz8.  If 4 Figs remain 3 can land in Western Europe and 1 can land on the newly built carrier.  Why leave the German sub again?  It could be bait, but that’s expensive bait.  Anyways, the US player can still get a free shot on that with the US bomber then land in London if I remember right. Which I might not.  But still - expensive bait.  And on another point, it is NOT the typical German groundpounder opening.  The typical German groundpounder is 10 inf 2 tank, which allows territories to be contested and held earlier against Russia; those four ground units can and do make quite a difference.

From here the British BB and Trans in sz 2 cannot hit africa It can’t?  If I remember right, you can use the UK air to attack the German sub.  Even if they miss the German sub, the UK battleship and transport can move off the coast of Algeria during noncombat.  Meanwhile, the UK transport from Canada can attack and claim Algeria.  The Germans still have to deal with the Allied unified fleet off Algeria. and if the German player leaves some defence in algeria the most Britain can attack it with is 1 Tank and 1 BomberWell yeah.  But figure that the US can still move in on US1.  Of course, the Allies probably don’t want a lot in Algeria, because Germany can attack with 5 fighter 1 bomber 2 infantry 1 tank easily, and add 1 infantry 1 tank if routing additional units with the Mediterranean transport.  But the Allies can still make a case for Algeria…  If the UK player takes the bait and does the carrier build to attack Norway A UK player attacking Norway with a Baltic fleet intact (even without a German carrier) plus German fighters on W. Europe is . . . deserving of the death of ten thousand rubber chicken blows.then the British navy can be wiped out by the German navy + airforce on G2.  Whilst Germany would lose its navy this is of no great consequence as the airforce will remain intact barring ridiculous rolls.  Seriously, this just shouldn’t happen unless the UK player has been hitting the crack pipe REAL heavy.  Like zomgz0rz colorzorz heavy.

With the UK not effectively being able to reinforce sz12 the US can either occupy sz12 on its own (or 1 UK Trans) which means that Germany can wipe out the fleet with its airforce with minimum loss (unless it is attacking the UK navy that is).  This strategy seems to hinder the allies greatly for the cost of 1 German Fig on G1 rather than 1 German sub.  What are your thoughts about this strategy? possible weaknesses/counters? The Allied fleet is still 4 trns 1 btl 1 destr minimum.  But there is no rule saying the Allies must hit Algeria on UK1/US1.  The Allies can also park at E.Canada and consolidate to hit Algeria on UK2/US2.  The delay means more force can be mustered, which usually means an additional US carrier, transport, and two infantry, or three transports and six infantry (minimum) depending on what flavor the Allies want.

Thanks

you’re welcome

• :-o
    Torment,
      Check out my reply to the threa, “Another German navy opener”.

C.I.  :roll:

• 2007 AAR League

Try a stalling tactic on G2 instead…

This is assuming a few things

1. As G1 buy 1 AC, 8 Inf
    2. the UK/US move to SZ 12 on turn 1 and grab Algeria

On turn 2 move the Baltic fleet into SZ 7…

What is the UK/US going to do on Turn 2? probably reinforce Algeria again instead of taking Norway…
    Or on the other hand the UK can trade fleet for fleet to move you out of the way (but they still didn’t grab Norway and you just hurt there fleet considerably… (i’m happy)

Assuming they leave you alone (most cases)

Depending on the non-coms in turn 2 for the allies, on turn 3 you may even be able to leave 1 German SS in SZ 7 and move the rest back to SZ 5 or something and that will stop the UK from getting Norway Again!!! (meaning them russians will have to fight a 3 front war) it’s a win-win situation for the Germans.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m