• Okay, I’ve asked this before, but some of you guys are relatively new here, so I’ll ask it again!

Imagine a game where the teams are Germany and Russia vs Everyone else.  No alterations to the standard set-up, no bids, just leave the board the way it is.  Britain gets Colonial Garrison.  Where should they put it?

• 1. Germany and Russia will lose big-time.  There’s no place for them to expand to, and I can’t conceive of a way that they could pose a serious threat to London, Tokyo, or Washington.

2.  Colonial garrison at E. Canada.  With Russia able to focus its entire attack on the east, India will fall to quickly.  Germany can take over Africa too quickly.

• India, or if you REALLY want to be cautious, Australia.

With Japan on UK’s side, a MASSIVE number of FIGs can be flown to India to help defend the territory, and with shuttling of forces and subsequent IC’s, Japan can just pour land forces into Asia, with their fleet being sent to SZ34 to block any Germany breakout from the Med (and eventually invade the Med).

With no Pacific risk, the US pours on full tilt in the Atlantic to more than compensate for the 3 units per turn UK is building in India.

Germany/Russia lose barring seriously bad dice or bad Allied strategy, being completely dominated both at sea and in the air form the start.

• 2007 AAR League

Germany/Russia would need a LOT of help from the dice gods.

If I were them though I would hope to conquer Britain very quickly. I guess you’d need a different turn order?

It might make for an interesting game if Russia were given greater production, Germany started with more navy and an IC in Western Europe, and had control of the Suez from the start and Russia held Persia.

Russia would need greater production because Germany will have its hands full fending off UK and US, and Russia will need more money to fight Japan for land. I’d increase the production of Kazakh and let the Russians have an IC there.

• Aaah… the old good Hearts of Iron’s unholy alliance…  :mrgreen: well, maybe give Chinese territories to USSR and not to USA to balance: think them as controled by Mao insteand poor old Chiank Kai Shiek …

Oh, also delete USA Pacific fleet and maybe half of Japanese fleet or Unholy Alliance will be toasted in the seas …

• 2007 AAR League

True - and if Japan / US were allies, they’d hardly have build big pacific fleets.

• Thanks for catching that Frood; yes, I forgot to mention that there was a different turn order.  I don’t remember what the turn order was; what do all of you think it should be?

• 2007 AAR League

I’d say - Japan - Germany - UK - Russia - US

• @AgentOrange:

Okay, I’ve asked this before, but some of you guys are relatively new here, so I’ll ask it again!

Imagine a game where the teams are Germany and Russia vs Everyone else.  No alterations to the standard set-up, no bids, just leave the board the way it is.  Britain gets Colonial Garrison.  Where should they put it?

Very interesting case scenario.
    I played with different teams in the old classic days.
    I can’t remember if I ever playtested G+Russia though, I guess they couldn’t be cracked because of lack of creative player strats.
    Germany and US was the only other teams that worked.
    Have somone else tried this with OOB rules?
    Why not try this with triplea?

G+Rus  :evil: :roll:

• 2007 AAR League

Germany + US - now that could be interesting!

With TripleA though, how would you make that work? You can’t attack an ally, you’d have to change the xml file somehow.

However, wouldn’t Germany and the US be able to take out the UK pretty darn quick?

• My friends and I speculated that in the case of US + Germany, Britain would get crushed almost immediately.  I imagine the only way to at least try to prevent that would be to have UK go first, then one of their allies, so they can attempt a decent defense.

• Hmmm…I’m not so sure R and G would have such a tough time. True, they would only start with 64 production against 102 but they would have the advantage of being at the center, with Russia being secure.
    Russia could move against the US/UK/J on Asia and still take Africa. Meanwhile G could focus on UK, leaving the US to either help J, retake Africa or defend the UK (which would drop in production after a takeover of India/Africa). Just from the UK R/G could take 14 IPCs, plus the chinese territories, which would balance the production.

• Distance precludes the Russians from being able to make an early strong afvance in Asia before Japan (and perhaps a USA Siberian Insertion) came into play.

To begin with, USA would still have a FIG in China after R1, since Russia could only get as far as Sinkiang.  India is safe at start, with Russia having to stop in Persia.  And Russia would still be just as unable to advance on Manchuria as they are now in the early rounds.  With a UK IC in India, Russia is going to have to pour everything SOUTH in order to get into Africa early, and that leaves Japan/USA free to enter Asia wherever they choose.

For the German front, you force Germany into a massive naval build, that even with some pretty standard UK/USA moves you can easily block.

Turn order would be critical.
    Japan or USA going before Russia would be nearly fatal for the Russians.  UK going before them would not be much better.
    UK going before Germany could be downright UGLY for Germany…

• It would be easy to do this in triplea just change the alliance values in xml file.

Problem with G+R is, a game would probably take 15-20 rnds or more.
    Revised it’s usually 5-9, at least the games I play.

I would like to try this against a human. As G+R vs rest of the world  :-)
    Tried against weak AI but it’s pointless  :-P

• Well, as far as I can remember, the Russo/German alliance was one of the most interesting games I’ve ever played.  Typically, in the games I play with that crew, we play with set teams until a capital falls, and there is NO hope of getting it back.  Once that happens, we would switch it up so that the teams are more even once again.  Their allies split up their remaining units and “convert” them as they see fit.

So the next question is:  Who do you think would fall first?  And once they do, what would the teams be afterward?

• :-o
      Answering the original Question, I think that UK should place the IC in South Africa.
      To better balance the game, I like the idea of Russia starting with not only Singkiang, (2 inf + 1 Art) but also with both West Russia and the Ukraine. all with 2 inf and 1 artillery. As far a the 2 USA inf in Singkiang, bump them to China. The German forces that need a new home can be placed one per territory that Germany occupies, by the German player. As Russia, I would go fort the Siberian railroad right off. And, not allow the Siberian peace treaty at all.
      Who would fall first? I think that the UK is the weakest link innitially, and will be throughout the game. I would go after them.
      Call Germany+Russia the “Minsk Pact” and the others the “Allegence of Athority” It’s something different anyway.
      Good luck with your game, and let us know how you liked it.
      Crazy Ivan  :-o

• Why not all the China to Russia, Leaving Ukraina and West Russia to Germany. It is only 28 insted of 31 for Russia, but Germany stay at 40 instead of dropping to 35. Only wondering on that, I have never played this “variant” so I do not know!

• What about after the main game, lets say Germany and Japan are defeated by the allies. The game goes on more into history. The UK and the US vs the Soviet Union.
    That would be interesting

• the game exist, it’s called “East and West” but it was so poorly made that you have to own atleast one other version of Axis and Allies just to set up the boards starting units as it came with almost nothing and even then it’s hard as it has a tech for heavy tanks that cost more $ so you need 2 tank peaces when you get the tech.
    i love the rules for the game as it’s not just straight kill the enamy but you also have spies and what not, but the company that put it out did a realy poor job of it.

• @AgentOrange:

Okay, I’ve asked this before, but some of you guys are relatively new here, so I’ll ask it again!

Given the economic advantage the 3 naval powers have, why on earth does the UK also get colonial garrison?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m