Tasering in America – right or wrong??

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I was thinking tasering might be more appropriate for bringing down armed assailants then protesters.  Don’t the protesters have the Right to Assemble, the Right to Speak and the Right to Petition like everyone else?

• @Jennifer:

I was thinking tasering might be more appropriate for bringing down armed assailants then protesters.  Don’t the protesters have the Right to Assemble, the Right to Speak and the Right to Petition like everyone else?

Yes, they do.

But can you assemble on MY lawn?? No. I own it. If I want you off of it, you must leave.

The university hall (room, gym, whatever) was private property. The dean/administrator/guy in charge cut the mike off and requested this guy leave. You cant force your right to speak on the property of others. He could have stayed on a public sidewalk, and continued his speaking rights there.

• '19 Moderator

Jen, have you seen the video yet?  He is whining “don’t taze me”, but he is also absolutely not complying with what he is being told to do.  Like I said he was trying to get attention.

Yes, but Squire, that was HIS campus.  He was a student there (part of the school paper, I believe.) So he had more right to be there then the police or the speaker, if you consider he is paying fees to be there.  It’s private property alright, it’s his private property just like it is every student’s private property, in a way.

And if he was whining not to be “tazed” then he was in essence surrendering.  His exact words were “Don’t taser me Bro” it was a declaritive statement told with the inflection that conveys that he was willing to be arrested.  It was not in a demeaning or inflaming type of voice.

• @Jennifer:

Yes, but Squire, that was HIS campus.  He was a student there (part of the school paper, I believe.) So he had more right to be there then the police or the speaker, if you consider he is paying fees to be there.  It’s private property alright, it’s his private property just like it is every student’s private property, in a way.

when one pays their tuition, there is an understanding - tacit or overt - to behave oneself and to provide a modicum of courtesy.  He if he just followed a student the whole year while yelling at them - he would be required to stop.  I’m not sure why his right to protest ad nauseum exceeded that of the right of the speaker to be treated courtiously.

And if he was whining not to be “tazed” then he was in essence surrendering.  His exact words were “Don’t taser me Bro” it was a declaritive statement told with the inflection that conveys that he was willing to be arrested.  It was not in a demeaning or inflaming type of voice.

if someone yells “don’t hit me Bro” while hitting me, i’m not going to take him too seriously.  This guy’s actions begged the cops to take his words with very little seriousness.  I’m w/ DF on this one - his parents deserve a tasering too.

• 2007 AAR League

Since when is “trying to get attention” something you should get tasered for?

Being uncooperative, I can see. But what’s so wrong about trying to get attention?

• 2007 AAR League

@Frood:

Being uncooperative, I can see. But what’s so wrong about trying to get attention?

I don’t know but this particular case … it was funny when he got tasered so I don’t blame anyone :wink:

• @Frood:

well,
    it seems that he had the attention, but it wasn’t “good” attention . . . .  Getting attention by getting good marks - good.  Getting attention by generating a disturbance and impinging on another’s rights - bad.
    Oh yeah - and he was not only being unco-operative/rude, but he was generating chaos and not the good kind either.

• 2007 AAR League

Like I said, I haven’t seen the video. Just seemed from people’s comments that he deserved this because he was “just trying to get attention”.

How about this for right/wrong - at political protests in Montreal, the police dressed up three guys as protesters who deliberately tried to get rioting and rock-throwing started. The protesters called them on it though and caught it on videotape - these guys had police boots on! The police later admitted it but tried to pretend that the officers were just there to protect people. However, these officers were holding rocks in their hands!

• 2007 AAR League

i just think he was acting obnoxiously.  which is bad in of itself, disrupting everyone else.  why should everyone else have to listen to that. he should of just let authorities do their job, but he RESISTED, let me tell you, cops dont like resistence when they are trying to do their jobs.  he was just a punk kid, who knew he stepped out of bounds, and then tried to save his skin.  GuARUNTEED if after he asked the cops not to taser him, and they didnt, he would have just kept on being obnoxious.  college students these days respect nothing.  and he would have kept acting like a punk if the cops allowed him to.  good thing the cops didnt allow him to.  people will push the boundries as far as they can, always, until they get punished.  its human nature.  he got his result, for his actions, i have no pity.

• @Frood:

Like I said, I haven’t seen the video. Just seemed from people’s comments that he deserved this because he was “just trying to get attention”.

How about this for right/wrong - at political protests in Montreal, the police dressed up three guys as protesters who deliberately tried to get rioting and rock-throwing started. The protesters called them on it though and caught it on videotape - these guys had police boots on! The police later admitted it but tried to pretend that the officers were just there to protect people. However, these officers were holding rocks in their hands!

i’ll bite - that’s wrong.  I don’t understand what the Montreal PD’s point was, or why they thought they could get away with it in the era of “everyone’s got a camera”.

• Oh man, I saw this video like a million times today!  I couldn’t stop laughing my ass off.  LOL  Stupid kid deserved it….for being an attention whore.  I especially like the part where hes pleading, “Dont taze me!”  Then like 2 seconds later…buzzzzzzzzzzzzz…tazed!  Denied!  Hahaha

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sE76LQwT6qA

• 2007 AAR League

I think it’s pitiful a half dozen cops couldn’t take down 1 college student.  Time to lay off the doughnuts, piggy.

QFT.

And it seems quite excessive in this case……

• In cases like this the guy that creates the problem is alway the “moral” winner, while police is always shamed.

If police block him in a rude manner then the cops are blamed for being violent and for having abused of a weak person.
    If police do not intervene and the guy is able to create a problem then the cops are blamed for being incompetent and inefficient, leaving the delinquent making alla that he wants.

Every thing they do there always be someone that will have something to say.

• '19 Moderator

@Romulus:

In cases like this the guy that creates the problem is alway the “moral” winner, while police is always shamed.

If police block him in a rude manner then the cops are blamed for being violent and for having abused of a weak person.
    If police do not intervene and the guy is able to create a problem then the cops are blamed for being incompetent and inefficient, leaving the delinquent making alla that he wants.

Every thing they do there always be someone that will have something to say.

And that is what this punk was tying to capitalize on.  It wasn’t the fact that he was trying to get attention that was caused him to be tazed, it was what he was doing to get it.  If you watch the video the cops tell him to cooperate or he will be tazed.  They tell him a number of times and he continues to fight…

Paying tuition at a University doesn’t make you part owner.  You still have to obay the rules or suffer the consequenses. Buzzzzzzzz

• 2007 AAR League

How come my Canadian dollar thread got locked and this didn’t?  :?

Well whatever. Yes, paying tuition does not make you part owner. It probably makes you a licensee or an invitee though - you have either license or an invitation to be on the property. However, that license or invitation will have limits. For example, the cable guy might have license to enter my property for the purpose of repairing the cable line running over my property. However, he is not entitled to swim in my pool or otherwise avail himself of my domestic comforts (nudge nudge wink wink).

So, paying tuition might get you a license to be present on the campus, but not the right to do anything you want.

@Frood:

When that becomes law, let me know.  I want to get two tasers for my boys!

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE&mode=related&search=

This is a good angle for a the action. You can clearly see him trying to get away from the cops. Even when they had him on the ground, he was still telling them to “get the F*** off of me” and squirming around. You can also here the officers tell him to stop resisting or they would taser him. He didn’t listen and zap.

• @seth4god:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6bVa6jn4rpE&mode=related&search=

This is a good angle for a the action. You can clearly see him trying to get away from the cops. Even when they had him on the ground, he was still telling them to “get the F*** off of me” and squirming around. You can also here the officers tell him to stop resisting or they would taser him. He didn’t listen and zap.

I wonder if this guy was drunk or high.  He reminds me of these really aggressive guys who are brought into the ER with a head injury or after substance abuse or not taking their anti-psychotics.  They pretty much sound and act like this guy when we need to “5-and-2” them (5 mg haloperidol, 2 mg ativan) - although they are much more peaceful afterwards :)
    oh yeah - the guy is clearly a stupid and whining little bitch.  I hope that they nailed him in the nads and destroyed his reproductive ability . . . i mean presuming he could find a woman to procreate with (“were you and George Bush members of the skull and bones secret societies”???) it would be nice to know that he couldn’t.

• six cops coulndt subdue one college student? they ought to hang up their badges.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m