• @Nuclear:

I miss the nice circle things with the number inside.  As from what I can see I only see the numbers.  Perhaps it is my adobe viewer.

As mentioned earlier, acrobat reader won’t handle layers prefectly.
    I’ll keep posting PNGs.

@Imperious:

hence I will time the material advantages to allow for this to happen or as Tekkyy would say “to model it”

To clarify I like to model things so we do historic simulation, yet not historic replay.

@Imperious:

considering making Germany into east/west but still don’t want to make territories too small.

Yeah I would be against splitting Germany any further.

@Imperious:

Soviets collect 17 IPC till turn 3 due to 5 year plan growth investment during peacetime and reorganize military industrial complex.

USA collect no income before turn 4 except they can loan 10 to UK each turn starting on turn 2
    and a total of 20 to UK/Soviets starting on turn 4.

USA income goes to 60 on turn 6 and 70 on turn 8

Keeping in mind of AARHE income rules…it would be more practical to specify which territory takes the gains.

Are we going to do the peace time vs. war time thing with Russia?

Probably want to model Germany’s economic rationalisation too in addition to US.

@Imperious:

Soviets must…
    Japan cant…

We are putting in new income numbers from Harrison. We even have oil rigs.
    Sure we can model the historic reasons resulting in it being unreasonable for Russia and Japan to duke it out in the game.
    Prefer that then hard rules.

@Imperious:

Big decision was made on adding a sea zone and accommodating Iceland. I dont want USA to be able to invade france from New York. (its now 3 spaces away forcing them to stage in England first)

Wait a minute. I don’t think you can invade Western Europe from Eastern US in OOB.

Giving Australia “mountainous” is probably unrealistic. I think at 3 territories its overly split up.

Why the new SZ? Are you trying to make it harder to going from Alaska to Far East? Otherwise realistically you would decrease the number of SZ to 1 not increase it to 3?

Why is Sahara that colour? Is it just desert?

What are we trying to do with Nigeria?

• 20070919 PNG version (50dpi this time)
    http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3660/20070919aarhe1939ds5.png

Put date in front of filename. Better than “copy copy copy copy copy copy.ai”. Yes you are up to 6 now lol.

I see you have a new North America continent.
    And you want to do more in the Pacific.
    I think you are half way to making a new map (as I sugguested earlier) anyway.

Low-res PNG this time. Can you slice away the unwanted bits of the new North America continent. It just nudged it over the max dimensions. The big white box still gets exported…unless there is a way to set print-area or export-area…

• Customizer

Those flags look good, but the Japanese flag is the naval ensign - the national flag is a plain red disc on white.

http://www.atlasgeo.net/fotw/flags/index.html

Widening the oceans also makes the board look more like a real map of the world. But if you can’t reach France from Washington should you be able to reach England?  I made my map so that transports are forced to either rest in mid-Atlantic (giving the U-boats a fighting chance) or take the longer northern route using Greenland/Iceland.

A quick point about the distortion: making Europe larger but not Africa is what causes the wierd shape to Trans-Jordan and the rather pinched look of south France.  In the end I decided to widen Africa as well to make the map look better, and after all a lot of action can take place in north Africa.  It’s a question of having enough room on the projection you choose to have (note the drastic solution of “struggle” where south Africa is shrunk to nothing.)

• @tekkyy:

20070919 PNG version (50dpi this time)
    http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3660/20070919aarhe1939ds5.png

BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL  8-) after alle this years, this is THE map.

Only one little issue, sea-zone 3 should be split, its a long distance from UK to Northern Norway. Now if I want to play with Tirpitz/Scharnhorst/Lutzow at Kaafjord, try to stop the Murmansk convoy, then there is no way this fleet can be in sz 3 without being destroyed by RAF in turn 1.

In operation Paravane 15 sept 1944 and operation Obviate 29 okt 1944, the distance from Scotland to Tirpitz in a north norwegian fjord was too long, so the british Lancasters had to use a Sovjet airbase in Archangels. But in Revised map, every little fighter in UK can attack whatever sail in seazone 3

• Also South Germany should be named Austria, so we can play WWI scenarios on the map too.

And what happened to Mexico ? You can go from Canada to Venezuela in one move ?

• Customizer

@Adlertag:

Also South Germany should be named Austria, so we can play WWI scenarios on the map too.

I have Germany split w/e with the east being “Prussia”, but this absorbs most of Poland.  This couldn’t really be done on this map as the line Germany-Poland-Belarus-Moscow is shifted far to the east of where it really is - something I just don’t do on my maps.

My Central europe territory is roughly equivalent to the Austro-Hungarian empire, but this is much more than Austria.

I also suggest moving the Vichy-Italy border a little east to give VF a reasonable coastline to invade.

• Those flags look good, but the Japanese flag is the naval ensign - the national flag is a plain red disc on white.

That is not correct. This is the Imperial flag and Japan was run by the military and they used this flag exclusively. The Imperial flag was banned after WW2. Its also the flag used by Japan during the Russo Japanese war.

Also South Germany should be named Austria, so we can play WWI scenarios on the map too.

Austria and Czechoslovakia  were obs orbed into the Reich by 1939. Also, the southern Bavarian alps represent a possible last stand for Germany under AARHE NA called Alpine fortress.

This was a mistake and forgot to fix. The map is only at 85%

Also I am not making Prussia because its too damm small for pieces. Germany will not be divided further in the interests of playability.

I will make a WW1 edition but it will be true to that map in its entirety.

Vichy-Italy border a little east to give VF a reasonable coastline to invade.

what does this mean??

Only one little issue, sea-zone 3 should be split, its a long distance from UK to Northern Norway. Now if I want to play with Tirpitz/Scharnhorst/Lutzow at Kaafjord, try to stop the Murmansk convoy, then there is no way this fleet can be in sz 3 without being destroyed by RAF in turn 1.

Looking at it. stay tuned.

• http://www.mediafire.com/?0z0ixe529kc

http://www.mediafire.com/upload_complete.php?id=dd125dtm1wz

I made some minor changes as per adlertags request. Now the Murmansk convoy to Russia can be intercepted because it cannot complete a full back and forth in the same turn allowing for interception.

Lend lease will have to be shipped to Russia (using chips) and convoys can be intercepted.

The Germans are quite strong in 1941 ( representing the period just after Japans attack on Hawaii –about mid December 1941… but USA can lend lease income directly to allies. they begin in 1939 at 50, then move up to 70 after a few turns… so this also make the focus on Germany, while i will force the US player to allocate a specific IPC figure only to pacific buys.

I need you people to use the icons from AARHE and make a mock setup for 1939.

AARHE rules will be used, except with some diplomacy changes ( adding new neutrals etc.)

I like the sea zone lines much better now.

I also fixed south france and downsized the flags.

Please make a high DPI PNG. Lets all have an exact look at a high quality picture tekkyy

• I think you missed my post. Anyway I’ll post new questions and old questions again.

low-res
    Couldn’t do high-res last time because the white bars are exported too. Your new North America continent (and the big white box over it) just nudged it over the max. dimensions.
    Anyway I just learnt how to use the scissors tool so its ok this time.

Australia
    The mountains in Australia are negligible. If anything New South Wales is more mountainous than Queensland.

China
    Could gives Szchwan mountainous and Inner Mongolia desert.
    Hsinking is located correctly but then its weird cos Manchuko doesn’t have its capital.
    You accidentally moved Urumqi to Tibet while dividing China I think.

SZ 62
    Why new SZ? Realistically you would reduce it from OOB’s 2 SZ to 1 SZ instead of upping it to 3 SZs from Soviet Far East to Alaska.

Sahara
    Why is the fill /colour that pattern? Why does it mean?
    Should bump Rio de Oro further north to prevent SZ 17 access to Sahara?

Nigeria
    Whats the purpose of Nigeria? Might be incorrectly located too. Maybe it should be at can be a territory between “Western Africa” and “Equatorial Africa” instead.

Phase 2 Purchase
    Is that a rocket launcher?

• Australia
    The mountains in Australia are negligible. If anything New South Wales is more mountainous than Queensland.

++++ ok ill  fix it

China
    Could gives Szchwan mountainous and Inner Mongolia desert.
    Hsinking is located correctly but then its weird cos Manchuko doesn’t have its capital.
    You accidentally moved Urumqi to Tibet while dividing China I think.

+++ok will fix

SZ 62
    Why new SZ? Realistically you would reduce it from OOB’s 2 SZ to 1 SZ instead of upping it to 3 SZs from Soviet Far East to Alaska.

+++++++++++allows Japan to defend the home island by occuping only SZ 57 rather than have to pull back and stick fleet in SZ 60… Secondly, stops people from sticking to pure OOB rules and shuck stuff to Soviet far east from Alaska… now its harder and also makes the trip for japan harder. Last reason is that looks more correct because those zones would be large

Sahara
    Why is the fill /colour that pattern? Why does it mean?
    Should bump Rio de Oro further north to prevent SZ 17 access to Sahara?

1. its a desert terrain and has special rules for it unlike the impassible Mt. everest. 2) ill look at it

Nigeria
    Whats the purpose of Nigeria? Might be incorrectly located too. Maybe it should be at can be a territory between “Western Africa” and “Equatorial Africa” instead.

+++++++ i think its correct and it is too large of a place to just give it to france. It allows UK another place to land planes and stage attacks from.

Phase 2 Purchase
    Is that a rocket launcher?

++++++++ ??? huh?

• WOW, great map, getting even better.

Just one tiny guestion, the divider between sz14 and sz15 bothers me, because the line make a turn and touch Turkey, making a little sea between Turkey and Bulgaria. In Revised there was no canal zone, but in this map you need to cross a canal if you want to move to sz16. I would like to see the divide line between sz14 and sz15 straight. Sz16 should all be in Black Sea. Now if a fighter can move from France to Algeria and back, then it should move from Bulgaria to Egypt and back too, its the same distance.

Thank you, and again a great map. How much will it cost ? This is the map I will buy.

• Its free. You will eventually download the map on a disk and take to the printers. But its not finished yet.

Ill look at the sea zones again.

keep combing thru it for other things…

• sea zone 16 includes that ‘little sea’ on the other side. I wish Tekkyy would give you a larger picture to see.

download it and look at it using abode viewer. thats free

• @Imperious:

sea zone 16 includes that ‘little sea’ on the other side.

yes I know that sz16 is on both sides of Turkey, but to me that makes no sense in this map, since we have the canal. Do you need to control Turkey if you want to attack Bulgaria from Medeterranian sea ? If not, that “little sea” has no function what so ever. It just clutter up the map.

Anyway I am very satisfied with sz3 and sz4, now UK convoy can’t bridge units to Russia anymore. Look at a real map or globe, and see that the distance from USA to UK is the same as from UK to Archangelsk. In the real war, the Murmansk-convoys was strategical importent, Churchill called it a war-breaker, and the german naval base at the tip of Northern Norway was the largest and strongest naval base in Europe when Tirpitz, Scharnhorst, a lot of cruisers and subs, Luftwaffe, and 400 000 Whermacht soldiers was based there. A fact often forgotten today.

• Customizer

Nearly correct on the Japanese flag, this IS the Naval ensign, the army flag had the sun in the centre.  In any event, the national flag was a plain circle.

http://www.atlasgeo.net/fotw/flags/jp.html

I agree that the sea zone west of the Bosporus is untidy.  My map solves this problem by drawing the Greece-Turkey border correctly for before the Axis invasion, thus cutting Bulgaria off from the Aegean.

Regarding the Russian convoy; does Finland have access to the Arctic?  I drew several lines meeting at a point here to deny Finland this outlet, but also to prevent a Norway-USSR border. One point you might consider is the effect of winter freezing: Archangel was the main port for Soviet aid, but in winter it was icebound so Murmansk was used, necessitating a longer rail journey through Karelia.

Any particular reason for dividing Italy?

Nigeria is in the wrong place.  It should be in the south-west part of FEA.

The Inner Mongolia territory also includes the Shensi and Shansi provinces, which were the principle CCP controlled areas.  Certainly the KMT had no influence north of Szechuan, this is why I give these areas to the Soviet controlled CCP.

I agree that R de O should become Western Sahara, as linking FWA with Algeria makes it an important territory at last.  Germany will have to consider using it to move land units from Algeria to FWA to by-pass the Egypt bottleneck, otherwise lose Africa south of the sahara.  But is it worth driving Spain into the Allied camp?

The Pacific island territories are worth reviewing, for example Okinawa is too far east and would be better as the Marianas.  It’s crucial here to calculate aircraft movement limits, as this was the main consideration in assessing the real value of these islands as bases from which to bomb Japan.

• Customizer

This map is a pretty good starting point for oil values, it gives IPC/Oil incomes

http://www.basesproduced.com/images/oil2.gif

I would definately add

Burma
    Mexico
    Trans-Jordan/Iraq
    Venezuela

Not sure about Algeria and Turkey, but note that there was no Saudi production pre 1945

The Japanese oil figure refers, I assume, to synthetic production or possibly stockpiled imports?

• Regarding the Russian convoy; does Finland have access to the Arctic?  I drew several lines meeting at a point here to deny Finland this outlet, but also to prevent a Norway-USSR border. One point you might consider is the effect of winter freezing: Archangel was the main port for Soviet aid, but in winter it was icebound so Murmansk was used, necessitating a longer rail journey through Karelia.

++++dude this is not going to have complicated rules which bog down the game

Any particular reason for dividing Italy?

+++++++ yes actually… no mountainous territories are viable for sea invasion for more than X amount of units. now the allies have to attack the south first.

Nigeria is in the wrong place.  It should be in the south-west part of FEA.

++++++++++ its fine where it is.

The Inner Mongolia territory also includes the Shensi and Shansi provinces, which were the principle CCP controlled areas.  Certainly the KMT had no influence north of Szechuan, this is why I give these areas to the Soviet controlled CCP.

+++++++++++China is still China and the nationalists in 1939 had the upper hand. Im not making 2 Chinas thank you.

I agree that R de O should become Western Sahara, as linking FWA with Algeria makes it an important territory at last.  Germany will have to consider using it to move land units from Algeria to FWA to by-pass the Egypt bottleneck, otherwise lose Africa south of the sahara.  But is it worth driving Spain into the Allied camp?

+++++Under AARHE axis units can move into and thru the Sahara with limitations. Thus the point is moot.

The Pacific island territories are worth reviewing, for example Okinawa is too far east and would be better as the Marianas.  It’s crucial here to calculate aircraft movement limits, as this was the main consideration in assessing the real value of these islands as bases from which to bomb Japan.

++++++++ this is a matter of playability and limited sea zones. The game needs to keep a minimal ideas to keep it fun.

I would definately add

Burma
    Mexico
    Trans-Jordan/Iraq
    Venezuela

Trans-jordan is not Iraq in this map. It may look that way but that because i dont want too small little territories. Persia on this map includes Iraq and Iran.

I dont want too many oil rigs on the map. All those you mentioned were considered, but they : 1) were not as developed in 1939 requiring a MAJOR oil center or 2) are not influential to play.

Possibly Venezuela

• Customizer

@Imperious:

Nigeria is fine where it is.

Why not put it in South America which is a bit boring at the moment?

As for Iraq, I didn’t realise you put it in Persia; it’s hard to see that there is now a Saudi - Persia border.  But really, Iraq was the UK’s major oil source until the invasion of Iran.  I think this area needs clearing up to avoid this confusion, I personally think it’s better to place Iraq with T-J in the British mandate.  Admittedly this area is badly drawn in the official maps leading to some confusion; you also appear to have placed Kuwait in Saudi to cut T-J off from the Persian Gulf.

• As for Iraq, I didn’t realise you put it in Persia; it’s hard to see that there is now a Saudi - Persia border.  But really, Iraq was the UK’s major oil source until the invasion of Iran.  I think this area needs clearing up to avoid this confusion, I personally think it’s better to place Iraq with T-J in the British mandate.  Admittedly this area is badly drawn in the official maps leading to some confusion; you also appear to have placed Kuwait in Saudi to cut T-J off from the Persian Gulf.

The Saudis and Persia have their oil I am not representing any secondary nations because they are too small to be represented. Iraq was not under British control in 1939. Iraq was basically independent and then followed a pro-Axis policy and latter got into trouble causing the British to invade and restore order. I don’t represent Kuwait.

Please stop with these ‘suggestions’ they are going nowhere fast. Stick to ideas concerning sea zones and lines and aesthetics.  Trans-jordan represents the Levant states and Syria it does not represent oil at all.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m