• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@newpaintbrush:

@Jennifer:

Well, I know my proposed naval purchases on G1 might give Russia a tactical advantage for a round, but it will also seriously set the Allies back.  For one thing, England has to worry about Sea Lion.  That will mean no landings in Africa, and with no landings in Africa, the Ameircans will also not land in Africa.  + income for Germany

Germany does not have a real Sea Lion threat with only 2 transports.  I agree that Germany will hold Africa longer, which will contribute to the German income.  However, Germany will not necessarily dominate Africa for very long.

Check it, I said to build 2 Submarines, Transport, Aircraft Carrier.  That could easily be 3 transports and an aircraft carrier, but I like the added punch of 2 submarines.  That would give Germany a total of 3 transports, 6 fighters, a battleship and a bomber for Sea Lion on Germany 2.  Enough of a force that England/America have to consider it at least.

Also, with a fleet of that size, I do not think the allies can stop a fleet unification on G2.  That’s a pretty sizable fleet and if the allies do manage to over power it, they can move into the Med if they want.

I assume by “overpower” you don’t mean defeat in combat, but instead refer to outnumbering the German navy, forcing the retreat.  Yes, the German fleet can move to the Med.  However, the Allies can then establish their transport fleet from E. Canada to London, and from London to Archangel.  This almost directly reinforces Russia.  The Germans will have the Caucasus, but I don’t see Russia falling.  Even so, I think that’s the BEST case scenario for the Axis.  The other option for the Allies is simply to KJF, rendering most of that German spending moot…

No, I mean sink it.  Once the allies get enough to sink it, then Germany can retreat, thus rendering all that allied warship spending moot.  By this point, Russia should be pressed hard by Japan and Germany.

If the allies go KJF, all the better!  Germany has plenty of navy to land troops in W. Indies, Panama, Brazil, Madagascar, India, etc.

Also, Russia’s only up 7 for W. Russia, Ukraine and Belorussia.  That’s Germany with 44 IPC on G1 and Russia with 31 IPC on R2.  You don’t think 44 IPC can push back against Russia when Germany starts with 100 IPC more in land units then Russia?

Frankly, no, I don’t.  It’s hardly as simple as that; the UK and US can reinforce Russia and attack Germany.  You can’t just ignore the UK and US.

Yes you can ignore them, because they are building fleet to sink the Germans or force them to surrender.  Thus, they do not have the capability to reinforce anything.  If they do go transports, Germany has plenty of ability to sink them, regardless of where they are built. So yea, Germany will be earning a lot, Russia not so much, and the two axis powers should have 3 or 4 turns at least with no Allied assistance to Russia.

Anyway, I think the trick here would be to resist the temptation to build any more fleet with Germany.  Yes, you’ll get pushed away or destroyed by England and America.  But not until Germany 3 or 4 probably, maybe as late as 6 or 7.  Meanwhile, Japan and Germany have been whittling away at the Russians and the English and Americans have been dedicating vast resources to Navy and Airforce to secure the Atlantic.

Of course, the Allies COULD go KJF in response to that German expenditure.  But even if the Allies DO go KGF, the Allies should have quite a surplus of fighters.  Those surplus fighters not only threaten the German fleet; when the Allied airforce hits critical mass, BOTH Axis powers’ navies are in danger, and further, those fighters can help reinforce Russia.  Normally fighter reinforcement is not terribly effective, but considering that Russia should have more infantry (because of having more territory), and considering that the Axis spent a lot of IPCs on navy, I don’t see that the Axis would have any decisive ADVANTAGE in purchasing lots of navy on G1.  Were I forced to express an opinion, I would actually say that the Axis would have a considerable DISADVANTAGE were they to purchase lots of navy on G1.

Honestly, that’s what I’m hoping for.  I’m hoping the British and the Americans focus on aircraft.  Aircraft cannot take land.  Aircraft cannot attack infantry/armor stacks with any kind of financial feasibility unless they support other units, other units they are not building while they get aircraft.

Furthermore, those aircraft are not protecting Moscow because if they were, they couldn’t threaten the German fleet.

And, of course, the ability of Germany to give up on the Atlantic and move into the Med later, if they want too.  (Though, honestly, I might retrieve my fighters and let you sink the navy at that point.  Depending what my africa and my russia look like.)

As for “ambitious” the most ambitious thing I’ve seen is Russia attacking Ukraine, W. Russia and E. Europe on Russia 1 and winning all three.  To me, that’s almost a death blow to Germany.  Germany’s down 33% of her fighters and Russia has 32 income to recover from.

That’s horribly risky for Russia as well, though.  The odds that ALL battles are successful is not high.

Nope, but the funny thing is, I see it succeed more often then I see it fail.  Of course, Russia’s pretty spent at that point.

• One of the profound challenges of maintaining a German navy is that the carriers you purchase create an extra zone that you need to protect with fighters. You might normally rely on those fighters in W. Europe to defend against a landing, for instance. And while the carriers extend your fighter range while sitting in the Baltic, if you need to move them out further then your fighters will likely no longer be able to help you trade land.

As the Allies, I wouldn’t focus entirely on trying to trash the German navy. My goal would be to try to contain the navy by combining defenses with the UK/US, each building 1 carrier with lots of transports, and maybe buy 1-2 fighters each. I would try to force the Germans to keep the fighters on their carriers and simultaneously threaten a landing in W. Europe, which will be easier to invade than normal due to both lack of fighters and additionally lack of land troops from the naval purchase. Russia should be mighty soon and take E. Russia/Balkans, at which point Germany would be a 22 IPC nation.

• 2007 AAR League

WTF?!
    trihero is back?

• Yay!! Trihero is back in style!

• First time I saw AC on G1, I thought: WTF!!!

Most important isn’t 5 trans or AC in baltic, it’s how u play the game….
    It’s not that big difference, other matters are more important.
    I’ve even won with axis when G bought BB! I was Jap though,
    and the opponents where experienced players all of them.

A funny game that one, cause I mistakenly placed a trans and didn’t do pearl.
    So US killed my lone trans and sailed to alaska.
    By rnd 5 the allies failed to put enough pressure on G and I stacked novo, the rest is history :-)

But the G naval investment is all about securing land TT around the baltic, except Norway, when UK can hit 3-4 TT’s
    G will be under psychological pressure, big time. And sooner or later G would probably hit the UK fleet in
    suicide attack to kill some trannies, and this again can help G hold some valuable real estate for another rnd,
    in tight games every little ipc counts.

• In the past I used to alway buy an AC on G1. Now I try the AC stratgy with Germany, sometime, to being a little umpredictable and for trying a change in strategies.
    Fighter that I use on the AC are the FIG tha usually a have in EE. A powerful German fleet, may be a “distraction” for the Allies.
    The problem is that it may distract also the German player. Sometime I spend money also to buy TRN or even SUB, but this is a risky strategy that I try only when the dice smiled me, and I have had few losses.

However, from an allied point of view, I am happy when may friend buy an AC with Germany! They are about 5 less infantry and a very lighter pressure on Russian front.

The only thing an AC in SZ 5 does is force England and America to focus on Africa for two turns before sailing north with a large fleet to invade Norway/SZ 5 en-mass.

I’ve never seen it do much but end up getting a lot of Germans wet as the carrier sinks quickly to the bottom of the Baltic Sea/ Nord Sea

• @Jennifer:

The only thing an AC in SZ 5 does is force England and America to focus on Africa for two turns before sailing north with a large fleet to invade Norway/SZ 5 en-mass.

I’ve never seen it do much but end up getting a lot of Germans wet as the carrier sinks quickly to the bottom of the Baltic Sea/ Nord Sea

1 like the 2 trns better because it can move troops and not tie down 2 figs.

• Germany has a choice when it comes to Navy…

Go heavy, or surrender the seas…

• @ncscswitch:

Germany has a choice when it comes to Navy…

Go heavy, or surrender the seas…

The only time I can see otherwise is if Germany gets a bid of 8 and adds a tpt in the baltic
    then buying a tpt on G1 is worth while.

• If I get 8 IPC as Germany, the TRN will be in SZ14, or perhaps a SUB in SZ8…

• If I get 8 IPC as Germany, the TRN will be in SZ14, or perhaps a SUB in SZ8…

I remember trying that lol. It was really funny to see Germany sailing into the heart of Africa along the west coast, and also Germany sinking the UK bb/tran + Russian sub in the other case lmao. It wasn’t terribly advantageous in the long run though in my experience, but I didn’t try it often enough to feel conclusive about it.

• @ncscswitch:

If I get 8 IPC as Germany, the TRN will be in SZ14, or perhaps a SUB in SZ8…

I will not take axis for less than 8 ipc, the tripleA ladder rules says 9.
    With 9 ipc it’s about 50-50 win/loss.
    I guess most ppl play with axis bid down, I estimate axis bid below 6 means axis must be better player(s),
    if then axis players manage to win games with any bid substantially below the 8-9 range.

• Thanks Lucifer.  I must be a pretty good player then… I win 2 out of 3 games, and almost every game has been a bid of 8 or less (one as low as 4) :-D

• @ncscswitch:

If I get 8 IPC as Germany, the TRN will be in SZ14, or perhaps a SUB in SZ8…

I used to think that too, until someone put the tpt in sz5 on me and I hated what it made me do for Russia round 1.

With 2 sz5 tpts, UK can be lost on G1.  I am not too happy giving Germany a 42% chance of taking out London.

Russia must take out Norway to kill a ftr and/or put 1 ftr in London.

• There are other, BETTER, ways to prevent a G2 Sea Lion than either Norway or a Russian FIG to London; even against a MASSIVE number of German TRNs in SZ5.

• Someone tried the sealion against me a few weeks ago, with 5 trans G1.
    It’s not difficult to counter if you have calculated this scenario before.
    Sealion didn’t happen this time, I lost because of other reasons, but this made me think
    about possibillities that I didn’t know existed before that game.
    I made several errors which helped me lose the game because I had not thought about what do if……?
    I guess now I would be happy (as allies) if G bought 5 trans, 5 trans G1 will help Russia more than Germany.

• 5 TRN G1 are 10 INF and 2 TANK less for Germany
    Sealion with 5 TRN is 10 Less infantry for Germany.
    20 if LESS and 2 TANK Less on G2 is German ready to be assailed by Russia (alone!)

Then 5 TRN in G1 means Germany being assailed by Russia…. mmmm I dislike 5 TRN in G1! :-D

I had someone bid 8 IPC for a submarine in SZ 8 on me before.  I solved that problem by taking Norway with Russia on R1.  End of threat to the British fleet.  Havn’t worked out the odds on if I was really lucky or not, but it’s possible to solve their bid and neutralize their effectiveness.

Anyway, the transport in SZ 14 is a favorite of mine.  3 Infantry in Ukraine as well, since it all but forces Russia to leave you with fighters. (Momma loves fighters!  And rockets, but fighters too!)

To be realistic, however, I think Germany should be happy if they get two units for Libya/Ukraine which is to say, about a 6 or 7 IPC bid.  At least against opponents on this board.

If you are playing people at AAMC, you can realistically expect to win bids (FIDA) of 18-22 IPC on a pretty regular basis.

• @ncscswitch:

There are other, BETTER, ways to prevent a G2 Sea Lion than either Norway or a Russian FIG to London; even against a MASSIVE number of German TRNs in SZ5.

who said G2?

I said Germanys FIRST turn

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m