• Let’s say that during G1 I attack the UK battleship in SZ 13 with my sub from SZ8 and my battleship and transport from SZ14 with the idea of maybe taking the UK battleship but at least being able to retreat the battleship and transport to SZ 12 and submerging the sub.  My question is what happens with my sub and the UK battleship left in SZ 13?  The manual says that the sub remains submerged until the end of the noncombat move phase, but this doesn’t trigger combat.  But then UK1 rolls around so what happens if UK wants to move their battleship or reinforce SZ 13 with the UK destroyer from SZ 15?  thanks for the help.

• @carytherage:

Let’s say that during G1 I attack the UK battleship in SZ 13 with my sub from SZ8 and my battleship and transport from SZ14 with the idea of maybe taking the UK battleship but at least being able to retreat the battleship and transport to SZ 12 and submerging the sub.  My question is what happens with my sub and the UK battleship left in SZ 13?  The manual says that the sub remains submerged until the end of the noncombat move phase, but this doesn’t trigger combat.  But then UK1 rolls around so what happens if UK wants to move their battleship or reinforce SZ 13 with the UK destroyer from SZ 15?  thanks for the help.

well my question to you is, if you want to as i see merge you fleets by retreating from West Med why to leave your sub there, bring it with other units

but retreating from that attack is something i wouldnt advise

the thing with the sub is that even if it submerges on UK1 UK can

:attack your sub with the bat and other units brought to that battle
    :run away with the bat and destroy your sub with the airforce

in both ways you didn get well there as i see it

• okay, well, I was under the impression that a sub retreats by submerging and doesn’t get to retreat one space like the rest of the navy. I guess this isn’t correct, but a sub can submerge and retreat one space?

• In AARevised (at least using Larry Harris Tournament Rules), subs can either retreat or submerge - they don’t do both.  If they retreat, they can retreat to the same sea zone as any other naval units that participate in the same attack and they must retreat to a sea zone from which at least one of the naval units involved in the attack came from.

Submerge: An attacking submarine may withdraw from combat after all attacker and defender
    units have fired, at the same time as all other attacking units withdraw. It may retreat on the
    surface to a sea zone from which at least one attacking sea unit came. If it retreats on the surface,
    it must retreat to the same space as all other sea units that retreat. One or more attacking
    submarines may also withdraw by submerging.

SS

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The UK Battleship has the ability to move out of combat with the submarine or even move out of combat by engaging in combat elsewhere.  The submarine does not like the UK Battleship in SZ 13.

But as was mentioned, if you are going this route, and I like it, to a point, why not bring the submarine with you in future?

Anyway, ever think of bringing a fighter and just killing that BB and landing an infantry on Gibraltar to prevent England from sinking your fleet?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m