• @ncscswitch:

@Amon:

i ve tried it, dont know how this game will end though, but early German attack on Russian forces at least brings a lot of fun in the game :wink:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10105.0

It was actually rattling me pretty good until you left those 8 ARM out to dry on G4…

And the other disadvantage is that you have allowed the other Allies to have increased income during the entire game to date (Allies ahve held Western, Southern and Eastern at various times), even with the Japan advances in Asia.

yes, those tanks- my panzer divisions :cry:

but as i said there you re in advantage but i am still in the game
    if i somehow get Moscow  :-o

• Ok Frood, I understand now. It is similar to the strategies I usually use. Also for me the more important asset in A&A is mine units and the main objective are the enemy units.

There is a logistical and technical problem that I was not able to solve until now.
    When I advance German main army from EE to Ukr I usually face this problem: my army will get no reinforcements the turn I advance while the Russian Army in Caucasus and in West Russia get reinforcements as normal.
    This is a bad thing because my army may be strafed in the russian turn by the enemy that will receive reinforcement in the NCM.
    I should say that in our games, strafing attack are always attempted even if the odds are slightly positive for defenders, we fear too much the high stack of infantry. We have the “infantry-phobia”.  :-D

Is viable a strategy in which I build only tanks the turn before to advance my army in Ukr? Or German must continue to play defense, build a lot of infantry, and wait that Japan is at the gate of Moscow prior to move the main army in UKR?

This thing, that seems out of topic, in my opinion is related to the first turn Russian move. When my friends, playing as Russia, did not attack Ukraine but only West Russia, sometime I had tried to strafe forces in West Russia then retreating in Belorussia, where the German army could get reinforcements.
    Is it a strategy that may work or it is better attacking Caucasus first turn and then try to trade it every turn with Russia?

In each case, my opinion is that Russia attack in Ukraine in R1 avoid this problems for Russia, and even if it cost many units to Russia, keeps German guns a territory more far from the heart of Mother Russia.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

So move your stack to W. Russia instead of Ukraine with enough force that he cannot both hold Russia and Caucasus.  This will result in the Russians pulling back to Russia and leaving you to walk into Caucasus.

Now you are both getting reinforcements on the front line.  And, more likely then not, you are both getting 4 units per round. :P

• Without passing from Ukraina then?
    Maybe using Belorussia to go in West Russia?

BTW, if you stack Ukraine and use Balkans to traverse to Ukraine you can allow the allies to take E. Europe.  They’ll never stack it hard because you can attack with Germany, Balkans and Ukraine and it allows you to keep more in W. Europe if needed.

Just a thought.

• 2007 AAR League

IMO letting the allies keep Eastern Europe is very dangerous, because then Germany is threatened not only with whatever units can come by transport, but a growing stack in EE. That pretty much puts Germany on the defensive.

I don’t mind letting them take it if I can kill what they land there every round though… I guess that’s what you’re saying really anyway.

• 2007 AAR League

@Romulus:

Is viable a strategy in which I build only tanks the turn before to advance my army in Ukr? Or German must continue to play defense, build a lot of infantry, and wait that Japan is at the gate of Moscow prior to move the main army in UKR?

I think that’s a good strategy, as long as you have enough Infantry at home that you protect the coast from landings as well.

Sometimes I even build air units the turn before a battle that is 3 spaces away, so that on the next turn 3 waves arrive at once: main stack, Armor and Fighters.

That stack of tanks will sit there in a defensive role until it is time to move out, and then you can build a bunch of Infantry again to take their place.

Exactly what I am saying.  Let them take E. Europe and then reclaim it instead of letting them have W. Europe.  At least until you are ready to push hard on Moscow.

Most Allied players won’t land more then 1 or 2 Infantry in E.Europe if Germany has 30 Infantry, 20 Armor and an assortment of fighters and bombers scattered between Berlin and Kiev anyway. (Germany and Ukraine.)  That’s because most allied players don’t have the 20 transports needed to land and hold E. Europe against the world of hurt Germany will unleash upon them if they do!

• Thanks to both of you Jennifer and Frood!
    :-)

For the record, letting the allies keep W. Europe is worse then E. Europe but both should be avoided at all costs.

=)

Oh yea, and never let America take Norway.  Better to let England have it.  Odds of them affording an IC and putting out 3 armor a round there is much smaller. =)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m