Beginings of an Article: Axis & Allies Revised Tactics

@djensen:

1. Don’t waste your money on anything except exactly what you need. Japan didn’t need a new DD at all.

Yep, streamling purchases is key.  Make sure there is a purpose to every unit you buy.  Don’t buy a bomber or something just cause you have the cash and can, buy it becuase you have some specific attacks in mind and need the range.

You can really run into trouble with the naval powers (UK, Jap, and US) in terms of trns and troops needed to move.  In a typical KGF game all 3 of these countries only really need 4 trns each.  Now the US can gradually add more and for Japan it is nice to have 5-6, but if you find yourself with too many trns your likely losing some effeciency somewhere and that can be costly.

@djensen:

2. Calculate odds not only of attacking but also your defensive positions. What will my opponent attack me with next turn? Can I defend against it successfully. If the answer is no, change your positions to minimize your loss.

Yes.  I agree with Switch as well, don’t be afraid to retreat if rd 1 goes bad, don’t compound things by pushing a failed attack.  As hard as it may be to retreat far too many times have I not retreated then looked back and realized if I did I may have faired batter.

I tend to use the LL method for looking at battles only I also take into account total number of attackers and total defenders.

Also (not odds related) pay attention to how many resources you are sending to an area and how much you are gaining from it.  IE Germany to Afr.  If you are sending 4 inf a turn to Egy, is it really worth fighting for?  Or would those 4 have have helped more in Europe?

@djensen:

3. The game is about resources (infantry, armor, fighters). Produce a lot and lose few. In TripleA, I’ve been using the number of units and the TUV (total unit value) to help me along. If you see your numbers dwindling, something is not right.

This is a really good indicator, although be weary of the US numbers, they could have 10 inf in Wus, 10 in Wcan, 10 in Ecan which may account for 90 ipc but they are still far away from the action.  Same thing can happen with Japan.

Another good thing is to watch Russia’s totals compared to Germany and Japan.  If both Axis powers outnumber Russia, then WE, Afr, and other outlaying territories probably don’t matter throw the old 1-2 at Moscow and stack Berlin/SE.
    Also, you never really want to see Russia with double digit armor.  If you start seeing them with 10, 12, 15 armor, that is bad news.

@djensen:

4. Study other games. Find a good player like DM and see what they did in their game and why. Why are there 4 fighters in W. Europe on turn 1? Why is W. Europe empty on turn 3?
    5. Supply lines are important. You need to keep moving troops without a break in the supply of both infantry and tanks.
    6. Don’t get suckered into deviating from your supply lines unless a great opportunity comes up. If I’m allies and W.Europe is open but I can’t hold it and taking it will prevent fewer troops from getting to Karelia or Anglo-Egypt, then I skip taking W.Europe until it makes sense.

It’s always good to look at other games.  I couldn’t agree more about the supply lines.  And come up with a plan and stick to it (within reason).  If you plan on landing in Alg in rd 2 and Nor Rd 3, and you play UK accordingly, don’t just change things cause Japan made what you consider a “weird” purchase/move.  Try and make your opponent adjust to your play.  Don’t waffle between KGF and KJF and then back to KGF.  As the Allies don’t commit to anything until after J1 and as the Axis wait to see how J1 and then US1-R2 go.

Another piece of advice to possibly work in would be to control the center of the board.  IMO, UKr/Wrus/Cauc/Kaz/Per/Sz 34 is the area where you want your troops.  If you’re the Allies and hold those the Axis can’t unite and it is really hard for them to aid one another.  If you’re the Axis and you do hold those (or made a lot of them deadzones) you can always go back and pick up WE or Kar since the Allies have to seriously focus on defending Mos.
    In this case superior position defeats any deficiency you may have in TUV.

• 2007 AAR League

Here is the translation (with a few modifications  :evil:) for this article

Las tacticas basicas de “Axis and Allies Revised”

1. No gastes tu dinero en piezas que no necesitas.
    2. Calcula tu probabilidad de ganar las batallas y de defender tus territorios. Si la probabilidad de defender un territorio es minima, retira tus piezas (considera dejar una infanteria atras) para minimisar tus perdidas
    3. En el juego gana el que tiene mas material (infanteria, tanques, aviones, etc). Produce estos y trata de perder menos de los que produces.
    4. Estudia jueos de otros jugadores. Encuentra un buen jugador y estudia sus juegos movida a movida. Casi todos los buenos jugadores siguen un esquema similar de juego.
    5. No dejes a tus tropas sin refuerzos. Tus fuerzas necesitan crecer y reponer piezas perdidas
    (majormente tanques e infanteria).
    6. Toma riesgos cuando la oportunidad se presente. Ejemplo: si un jugador deja su capital con pocas defensas, sacrifica lo que sea para cspturarla.

Traducido y adaptado de Ingles a Espanol por Ezto

El articulo original en Ingles se encuentra aqui  http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=10027.0

• graceius, senor.

• 2007 AAR League

ill translate more when I have time.  :lol:

• Founder TripleA Admin

Thank you but that article wasn’t quite ready to be posted. :-) But now, maybe I’ll just post it as is.  :-D

• Founder TripleA Admin

Anything from the main site (and not in the forums) is fair game for translation.

• Customizer

1. Just pile as much materiel into Caucasus as you can as quickly as you can.

That is all.

• @Flashman:

1. Just pile as much materiel into Caucasus as you can as quickly as you can.

That is all.

what does japan do then.  :wink:

• Customizer

Build an Indochina tank factor; take out Sinkiang to stop US factory; forget Siberia; either 1-pile everything into India then drive through Persia to Caucasus or 2-drive through Kazakh to Caucasus.

• You can;t forget Siberia.  Leaving Russia with full IPC production plus West Russia is a BAD IDEA as the Axis…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m