Is Robin Hood a hero or a thug ?

• http://www.youthink.com/default.asp?jump_to=143199

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_hood

I was reading the book “The World According to Warbucks” about capitalist quotations
    compiled in his absence by Bruce Smith.

His quote:

-  “Ever hear of a thug named Robin Hood? Stole from the rich and gave to the poor.  Only the rich had anything to steal, so he knocked 'em off by the dozens.  Robin Hood was a very smart apple!  He had a corking public relations setup.  He stole every worker and saver blind, but he gave a little away to the poor.  And every time he gave away a few dimes, he advertised.” 
      -  Oliver Warbucks

• Thug. The rich do not deserve to be robbed simply because they know how to make money. The nobility do, because they didn’t earn their money, and any red blooded American hates nobility, but being rich does not make one a noble.

• Myth that was originally a cautionary tale against ill-gotten wealth and corruption.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Robber Baron.

• You didn’t have anti-hero as a choice. If you look at it in a fighter against convention light.

• @Jennifer:

Robber Baron.

LoL?

• @ieatcrayons:

@Jennifer:

Robber Baron.

LoL?

OK I added the Robber Baron option to the vote.

The poll has a reset all to 0 option, so
    If there are enough requests from the crowd… I will reset the poll and let you revote.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It won’t let me revote, :(

I chose robber baron, myself.

• haha cuz they knew how to get money….yeah mideval Bill Gates’.  I would like to see you in the fuedal system. Or will you have some macho smart ass remark about how the serfs deserved their poor lot in life?

• @frimmel:

You didn’t have anti-hero as a choice. If you look at it in a fighter against convention light.

I have added your voting choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_hero

Wikipedia also includes Anti-Villian, which seems viable for the poll.

So only one voter wants to change their vote?

• 2007 AAR League

The Robin Hood of myth was both depending on which side you were looking at it from. Or headgear for a bird…

• @U-505:

The Robin Hood of myth was both depending on which side you were looking at it from. Or headgear for a bird…

robin hood was defeintly a myth. but as a myth he was an anti-hero.

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

@U-505:

robin hood was defeintly a myth. but as a myth he was an anti-hero.

Defining the type of hero he would be wasn’t my intention. To you he would be a hero or, more apropriately, an anti-hero. And that is because you, as do I, see his would be actions as more heroic than villainous. In the age where a Robin Hood type character would have existed, he would have been a hero to the recipients of his beneficence(the peasants) and a thug to his would be victims(the aristocracy). Therefore, he is both. AND headgear for a bird.

• “Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English Accent”

:mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

Robin Hood: men in tights?

Always wanted to see that movie. Never got around to it.

• @U-505:

Robin Hood: men in tights?

Always wanted to see that movie. Never got around to it.

Way better than the one with Kevin Costner.

• And it was back before Dave Chappel had to say “bitch” every other word in an effort to be funny.

• I’d have to say anti-hero.  Honorable cause, less than honorable method.  At least he didn’t aim to kill, and it’s not like most build their wealth on innocence…
    I would have voted for bird headgear as well.  :lol:

@ncscswitch:

“Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I speak with an English Accent”

:mrgreen:

Love that movie, and just about everything Mel Brooks does.  I had great fun showing Cary Elwes in a funny role to a girlfriend that adored him in “The Princess Bride.”  She never knew that movie existed.  Nowadays you could scare her by showing a contemporary picture of Westley.

“I pray that your first child be a masculine child.”

@ncscswitch:

And it was back before Dave Chappel had to say “b****” every other word in an effort to be funny.

Yeah, but he is funny still.  It’s just what people want I suppose.  I’ve been a fan since Men in Tights, but apparently not enough because I confused his name with the French photographer Dave LaChappelle.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m