Nazi Germany VS The Soviet Union

• Humbly, I would like to point out, that the diversion of Army Groupen Center to envelop Kiev was not a blunder by the Germans but a necessity. It would have been unthinkable to leave such a huge force on their sourthern flank while they pushed hundreds of miles further with little support to guard that flank. It was protected mostly by the area known as the Pripet marshes, which General Heniz Guderian had just pushed some armor through in the capture of Smolinsk.
    Besides, the Army Group South was severely stalled, and needed Centers help. The coal mining fields, wheat fields, and the ports in the Crimea all needed to be captured without delay, and they were all just east of the Ukraine.
    Second topic is that of the Siberian Troops. They did not arrive in force until after the snow had already stalled the final drive on Moscow. The Siberians merely gave the Germans a push to give Moscow a little more breathing room. Had the Germans made Moscow the priority in 42 instead of the Caucuses, things could have turned out differently, but this thread is about Moscow in 41, and no I still don’t think they could have done it. the Severe weather and Harsh conditions along with the stiffening resistence of the Soviet workers and soldiers was too much for the over-extended and worn out German war machine.
      The Germans had enough men, tanks, planes and heavy guns to win every battle in operation Barbarossa. They simply could not achieve their goal, (Moscow) before the weather shut them down. Even had they forseen a winter campaign, it was not something the Germans had the means to deal with in 1941. Sub-artic temperatures congeal oil and grease to the point where guns won’t fire and engines will not start. Troops froze to death standing up! The germans lost more men to frostbite in that winter than to enemy bullets, bayonets, and entrenching tools combined.
      Even if they had broken into the outskirts of Moscow, it would have just become an early Stalingrad for them. They were lucky that they didn’t get caught in there, like Napoleon had.
      I’m sorry folks, but I’ve studied the “Eastern Front” or as the Soviets called it,“The Great Patriotic War” for many years and it just was not feasable in 41.
      1942 on the other hand, it was a reasonable goal.
          Crazy Ivan
      and no, I’m not of Russian ancestry, German and English actually.

• Humbly, I would like to point out, that the diversion of Army Groupen Center to envelop Kiev was not a blunder by the Germans but a necessity. It would have been unthinkable to leave such a huge force on their sourthern flank while they pushed hundreds of miles further with little support to guard that flank. It was protected mostly by the area known as the Pripet marshes, which General Heniz Guderian had just pushed some armor through in the capture of Smolinsk.

Yes but the same thing could have been achieved if they took Moscow first. AGN was must farther eastward and Moscow only had like 90,000 around Moscow in October. Germany could have easily taken it and THEN hooked south to envelop the entire southern area. They would have bagged more than 650,000. Also, the Soviets would have a hard time to cut them off due the Marshlands in between the two armies. Stalin was adamant at this stage of the war “not to give up the cities”. Hitler basically should have reversed the basic goal in 1941 to capture objectives rather than defeat the enemy on the field. That took too much time for a campaign that was designed on the ‘cheap’ to be of 6 months duration. And Germany previously had ONLY engaged in objective based campaigns… and didn’t rely of defeating the enemy on the field head on.

• @Crazy:

Humbly, I would like to point out, that the diversion of Army Groupen Center to envelop Kiev was not a blunder by the Germans but a necessity. It would have been unthinkable to leave such a huge force on their sourthern flank while they pushed hundreds of miles further with little support to guard that flank. It was protected mostly by the area known as the Pripet marshes, which General Heniz Guderian had just pushed some armor through in the capture of Smolinsk.

I agree, but the Blitzkrieg strategy has to be applied completely, i.e. German Army should have to run to Moscow and then attacking from the rear the Red Army on Kiev. German started the campaign with Blitzkireg in mind and then they reversed to pocket and destroy Red Army, and so they failed even in applying their own strategy. Having not a clear idea of how the defeat the enemy is a problem!

• As you say Romulas, the German High command was all about the Blitzkrieg. And encirclement was very much the key to that doctrine. So, the opportunity to encircle several hundred thousand enemy soldiers was too much to resist. Besides, they must have thought that such a loss to the Soviets would be unrecoverable, and possibly force them to capitulate before winter. I would have had I been there then. Men fight, not cities.

• I think that Blitzkrieg is also about encirclement.
    I think that blitzkrieg is also about conquering cities.

But the principal character of blitzkrieg is to break the enemy will to combat. Morale factors are the main key of blitzkrieg doctrine.

Encirclement of russian soldier could have shaken russian morale, a more important achievement than the simple number of enemy soldiers out of combat. From a practical point of view the human resources of Red Army have overcame the problem in an easy way.

I think that had Moscow fallen, Russian morale had received a more serious hit.
    It is for this reason that I have said that having German the Blitzkrieg as strategic doctrine they had to attempt the conquest Moscow.

Had this achievement caused Russian defeat?
    All of us say no, because we see the future of the conflict: four year later Russian troops entering in Berlin. And probably the war had continued also after the fall of Moscow.
    But that was the German objective, a morale objective to be achieved with Blitzkrieg strategy.
    Men fight if they feel that there is a hope for victory. If the morale of the men is broken they more probably will run away more than try to fight a battle without hope.

• @Romulus:

I think that Blitzkrieg is also about encirclement.
    I think that blitzkrieg is also about conquering cities.

But the principal character of blitzkrieg is to break the enemy will to combat. Morale factors are the main key of blitzkrieg doctrine.

Encirclement of russian soldier could have shaken russian morale, a more important achievement than the simple number of enemy soldiers out of combat. From a practical point of view the human resources of Red Army have overcame the problem in an easy way.

I think that had Moscow fallen, Russian morale had received a more serious hit.
    It is for this reason that I have said that having German the Blitzkrieg as strategic doctrine they had to attempt the conquest Moscow.

Had this achievement caused Russian defeat?
    All of us say no, because we see the future of the conflict: four year later Russian troops entering in Berlin. And probably the war had continued also after the fall of Moscow.
    But that was the German objective, a morale objective to be achieved with Blitzkrieg strategy.
    Men fight if they feel that there is a hope for victory. If the morale of the men is broken they more probably will run away more than try to fight a battle without hope.

unless teir crazy like the 300 spartans.  :wink: if the soldiers  believe retreated/surrender was unthinkable then they would fight to the death. sorta like the Japanese in WWII.

• :-o
      Russian soldiers were and still are very dedicated and proud warriors. In WWII, running away was not an option, the NKVD saw to that. Surrender maybe, but not running.
      I go back to the Quote from the German soldier that fought on the Eastern Front; “It was too damn big, It got too damn cold, and there was just too damn many of them”.
    Don’t mistake these more or less balanced games we play as what was real in those days. Serious supply problems have always plagued armies that have tried to invade Russia. And the more men and machines that you send, the more supplies you’ll need. And Germany and its’ satillites could only produce so much, which was often not enough for what did get sent to Russia.
        :roll:

• I know that the history is gone as it is gone, and there is not too much to say.
    I am only considering the possibilities.
    I think that even URSS had some probabilities to lose the war.

Even mighty Achilles had a weak heel! :)

• @Crazy:

:-o
      Russian soldiers were and still are very dedicated and proud warriors. In WWII, running away was not an option, the NKVD saw to that. Surrender maybe, but not running.
      I go back to the Quote from the German soldier that fought on the Eastern Front; “It was too damn big, It got too damn cold, and there was just too damn many of them”.
    Don’t mistake these more or less balanced games we play as what was real in those days. Serious supply problems have always plagued armies that have tried to invade Russia. And the more men and machines that you send, the more supplies you’ll need. And Germany and its’ satillites could only produce so much, which was often not enough for what did get sent to Russia.

the soviets were hardcore figthers. they russians sent  men running into machine guns and mines for recon and clearing the fields. they were crazy fierce.

• 2007 AAR League

@cyan:

@Crazy:

the soviets were hardcore figthers. they russians sent  men running into machine guns and mines for recon and clearing the fields. they were crazy fierce.

i think you mean they were suicidal idiots

• @AJ:

@cyan:

@Crazy:

i think you mean they were suicidal idiots

war is the willingness of men to die for the honor, ideals and people of the country.

war is all about death and accepting the fact you might die for the greater good. ( or what you believe is the greater good)

• I believe Cyan is correct. At least that is how I, a U.S. Marine sees things.

• General Patton said: “Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

Red Army, for not making mistakes, managed to kill both of them in the process (German and Russian soldiers).

• @Romulus:

General Patton said: “Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

That is a good quote. I like it.

• @M36:

I believe Cyan is correct. At least that is how I, a U.S. Marine sees things.

I appulad you for your service M36.

• Why thank you, but I haven’t done anything yet. If you want to applaud somebody, applaud my brother, he has 62 confirmed kills I believe.

• 2007 AAR League

shoulda been 63  :-D            dont the marines tell you that  :wink:

• Haha, well my bro is Army so I’m not going to be playing up his accomplishments.  8-)

• @M36:

Haha, well my bro is Army so I’m not going to be playing up his accomplishments.  8-)

anyone noticed you only gotta kill 5 people for the airforce but like 50 in the army and marines?  :lol:

• Navy doesn’t kill sh*t, unless we’re talking about in video games…  :roll:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m