• I was playing world at war for the first time a few weeks ago and a question came up. Does russia get the IPC immediate bonus if She attacks first? What if She attacks japan, and then Germany attacks her? It doesn’t seem fair that the Russians get this huge manpower bonus if THEY stab Germany.

• '19 Moderator

I believe that this bonus is for defensive purposes only. Therefore if Russia attacks first they loose the bonus.

• So You wouldn’t give Russia the bonus even if They just attacked Japan, and didn’t attack Germany?

• '19 Moderator

I looked through the rules. This section is very unclear. I supose if Russia atacked Japan and then Germany atacked Russia, Russia would still get the Bonus and Visa-versa. However, I think the counter-atack has to go against the atacking nation. I’m not sure if I like this, but that’s what the rules seem to indicate.

• That’s what we finally decided,but both Germany and russia were annoyed by the vauge rules. I think The Rules reflect the harshness of that first winter, and every season after the first one that the Germans don’t attack the russians should lose some of their extra points

• '19 Moderator

I always thought it represented an emergency call up of reserves. The problem is that if Russia was already at war those reserves might be tapped. I’ve looked for carification on this and no one seems to know. I guess it’s one of those things everyone needs to agree on before you start the game.

• russia can’t attack first. I dont believe these rules apply to after the 5th round when the axis no longer can sit back and wait.

• Do you mean that if the Axis does NOT attack on (or before) the 5th round, that Russia doesn’t get her reserves, no matter what?

While playing Gemany (I’ve only played once), I thought that as long as I made Russia attack me, She coulnd’t get the reserves, and I made that part of my strategy. Needless to say, I was quite unnerved when my Friend reached for the box of men AND the dice at the End on my (German) 5th move. we agreed to a compromise, but that definitely changed my strategy.

• '19 Moderator

It makes sence to me to end this rule after turn 5, however I don’t see that in the rules. So again I say if your worried about it bring it up before you start the game.

• Makes sense to me too. If it didnt, Germany and Japan could easily overpower Britain while the US is forced to stand and watch.

• the rules are appalling. the version i have is apparently the 3rd edition and it has all the vagueness and contradiction of a rushed prototype! thoroughly frustrating! the incompotence in the production of this game is very dissapointing… and he had three tries to get it right!

• Who made it?

• ‘xeno games’ which i believe is just the one bloke, who’s name escapes me at the moment, and who probably does it from his basement…

i should dig up and post our clarifications for discussion… when i find it…

• ya I hear that the 3rd edition map is realy ugly, it has red borders

• and it’s far too small… he takes the original board, shrinks it, splits up territories and seazones and adds islands… so you have a greater need for space but less of it… grr…

• ya I think there starting to re-print the first editon because of the demand

• really? i heard ‘xeno’ folded a few years ago…

• and it’s far too small… he takes the original board, shrinks it, splits up territories and seazones and adds islands… so you have a greater need for space but less of it… grr…

Wait… the Xeno board is actually smaller then the A&A one? Gezzz… are there at least any blow up boxes?

• yeah… but they’re not terribly useful…

• Why do they still have stupid blow up boxes of Cuba or a few Japanese islands that really aren’t used… :-?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m