More Details on Axis & Allies Guadalcanal

• Founder TripleA Admin

I have posted a few more details that I received from Avalon Hill about Guadalcanal. For some of you, this is not new news and for others it might be. Feel free to discuss the article in this thread.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/280

• I think i figured a few things out.

The dice box is used to shake the dice and align them in the tray you pull out. The tab is then pulled out and you read the hits from the side of the long tray you just pulled out. In that way you can randomly allocate hits. I suspect as in Bulge… each unit will get a specific number of dice… OR each unit will still have a hit number and this is indexed with the side of the tab that is pulled out.

6 types of naval units ( corresponding to 6 different hit allocations)

Battleship’
    Carrier’
    Cruiser
    Destroyer
    Transport
    Submarine

I further think that planes make separate attacks  concurrent with naval ( round of naval, round of air)

and their hit allocations are also printed on a second tier above the ship icons on the tab you pull out to figure out the allocations.

I also think the land combat is under this same system, except im not sure if their another tab you pull out from the box ( perhaps from the other side) because i don’t seen how they are going to fit the information on only one tab.

• Actually I hadn’t realized you scored a much higher res photo so that is a bit of news. I appreciate your work in obtaining and posting this stuff by the way. Thanks. 8-)

Do you think it might have an anti air step before naval and land battles? And then Air attacks with the other units?

Also is it possible there may not be subs? You would need to a way to have misses even if you have each unit present. Perhaps it is a roll for hits, hits go in the box and randomly get assigned to units?

I think they don’t tell us anything because they like watching us chase our tails.  :x

• OK i pulled a JPL and closely scrutinized the picture and found the following:

1. their are submarines in the game
    2. the Americans have the hellcat that was used in AA pacific ( no more flying saucer P-38)
    3. The game uses some supply tokens similar to AA Bulge
    4. The game uses little strips representing air fields
    5. the Japanese have some new ‘other piece’ that looks like an old AA gun but colored burnt orange like the rest of the pieces ( i like this idea)
    6. The setup is printed on the map
    7. The reinforcement cards represent a possible allocation of additional reinforcements available at each given turn and a cost of using them in battle. I think that once a turn pases and you choose not to select any reinforcements , then you basically lost that potential. Each turn a new set of possible forces are available each with a cost in Victory points. This would allow an interesting decision by the Japanese player because after each turn the American potential reinforcements get stronger, while the Japanese get less. The trick is to know if its worth it to bring more down the ‘slot’ or to keep the victory points they earned. The Americans look like they will have heavily weighted Victory point costs for bringing on early reinforcements, while they need to hold back the Japanese long enough to be able to bring on the latter forces ( which are cheaper in terms of Victory points) .

Im pretty sure im correct on these points.

Note the special AA gun is on the central island.

• http://www.nekosphere.com/froogle.php?x=JUL074843

cheapest price for it. if you order two… no shipping charge

• Founder TripleA Admin

Mid October I’m supposed to get a sample copy for review. Or so I’m told.

Don’t be jealous, it’s only fair, this site drives at least 30 unit sales of A&A games per month from the Amazon links.  :wink:

• If the game comes out in September why aren’t you getting a review copy in say two weeks or by labor day?  :|

Well it is at least cool that they offered. The least they could do I think. 360 sets a year is no small thing.

I scrutinized the pic as well and agree on the subs. I couldn’t tell if setup was on the map but have no reason to think it wouldn’t be.

I’m jazzed.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The game comes out on Nov. 16, not September.

• When did it get moved back? I guess that would explain the no news yet thing. All info so far has been September.

[Edit] It says it in the new article which I guess I didn’t read very closely as I was looking at the pics.  :oops:

• Founder TripleA Admin

Actually, I just noticed last night that the release date was left out so I added it. You didn’t miss it the first time because it wasn’t there.

• Cool. I’m only partially losing my mind. Any word on why the delay?

• Is there new information out of Gen con on the new game?

• no nothing. they were too busy with fantasy games again.

• I guess it is another funagain press release for us.  :x

Biggest game convention on the continent and we don’t get a peep out of 'em. I guess they think since we will buy it anyway they don’t have to bother. :x

Doesn’t grow the game though. I guess we’ll have to wait for Djensen to get his review set and fill us in.

• I guess it is another funagain press release for us.

Yea i really think they care more about selling games than AH. AH is a sick joke. Hopefully they will get rid of the rotten yoke thats WOTC.

If i was in charge id fire everybody at WOTC and have them tried for war crimes against gamers.

• @Imperious:

I guess it is another funagain press release for us.

Yea i really think they care more about selling games than AH. AH is a sick joke. Hopefully they will get rid of the rotten yoke thats WOTC.

If i was in charge id fire everybody at WOTC and have them tried for war crimes against gamers.

I am not sure that I would say funagain cares more about selling games than AH.  I have been trying to get a letter from the funagain people clearing up the  copyright question of Eagle Games “War: Age of Imperialism” for close to six months now, with zero success.  I want to put that game back into production, and then use that as a springboard to do additional games.  However, the WOTC people could do far better at marketing the board games than they do.  The problem is that their original background is the Magic Card Game, which is not really good training for board games.  With card games, you just keep cranking out new cards.  I suspect that is why they are doing okay with War at Sea, as the concept of collectable miniatures is similar to collectable cards.

• They should have made the plastic pieces from original A&A games collectable too.
    Imagine you could buy Tigers, me 262, trucks and Matildas to use when you play A&A Revised

• well… adlertag… id keep looking for that proverbial funagain games release if you want to get any new pieces. They know more about whats coming out than the companies that make these products. I think Funagain should be reporting the daily news on CNN during off hours but thats another story.

• Have you guys seen this picture from Gen Con!

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Looks like the setup is on the board like the last two games. I don’t think the airbase strips are there though. They must go in the dotted lines when you build them. There are no supply chips in this mockup either. I also see no cruisers curiously. It doesn’t look like they have all the elements of the game together here. Very cool though. Who wouldn’t want the super big mockup board with no creases to use for play?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m