• Note:  This is not a good idea for classic or revised maps because they have less territories than WAW or other larger maps.

I usually play large maps like WAW and my friends and I have altered the way Blitzkreig is represented.  Instead of only having one combat round we now have two.  This way tanks which were not involved in the first round may follow up on victories gained the first round.  I previously used to frustrate my friends by using a single person to hold a horde of german tanks while I gained another turn to build a defensive stack of inf and art.  So we modified the rules to make it a bit easier to gain more territory quicker.  If the first attack on a territory is unsuccessful then at the conclusion of that battle you can use unused units you were planning on going through that territory to attack at areas beyond it to “re” attack the first.  Being such a drastic change to A&A I suspect most people will oppose this but it makes the game more fluid.

• To represent timeline better I would first use all-axis all-allies round sequence.

And then for maps like WAW or even larger one I would incorporate battle rounds and “capture” into the timeline.
    A tank might have 6 movement points. Each battle round and “capture” costs 1 movement point.

And probably the idea of contested territories or hot zones where neither side takes income. (Turn was was over before battle was over.)

• Tekkyy you gonna buy a copy of  The War Game? its worth the cost.

• Are you talking about World at War?
    For extra pieces?

Otherwise for map…
    if I convert enough friends I might print out a big variant map like the work-in-progress at the Axis & Allies variant forum.

Then again I might make a variant for the theme of the Chinese “Warring States” period.

• not for the pieces… for the map and game. Its got alot of great concepts…and somehow it all works due to so many years of play testing ( over 10)

besides you can also use the pieces. they look just fine…except the large bomber and super maus tank

• Customizer

Given the relatively few Russian territories in WWII the principle is the same.

This is my take on it (I suggest you read the WWII rules on naval pass-throughs for another perspective); I call it the Tank breakthrough rule.
    This is based on studying the method of blitkrieg warfare and it’s use of tanks to breakthrough the enemy front line to cause chaos in his rear area.  It was particularly effective in the early war against Poland, France and the USSR; in the case of the eastern front because the enemy insisted in placing nearly all his forces on the front line.  Gamewise it borrows from the rule we use in Britannia for overruns.

If on attacking an enemy area you outnumber his ground units by at least 2-1, tanks with 2 movement points left WHICH ARE NOT PART OF THE INITIAL ATTACKING FORCE may move through the attacked territory to attack or occupy another enemy occupied/controlled area. This movement is made before resolving any rounds of combat, as it simulates tanks bypassing enemy defences to attack rear areas.  This move can only be made if the enemy is heavily, i.e. 2/1, outnumbered in the initial attack.
    Of course there are risks with this move; depending on the order in which battles are fought, your blitzing tanks could get cut off with nowhere to retreat to; they can be supported by aircraft but not other ground units hence are likely to suffer tank casualties; they will have no other units to defend them in the case of enemy counter-attack.  Tank spearheads which get cut off in this way must be considered out of supply and cannot move again until relieved.
    On the plus side this can cause massive disruption to the enemy’s defences, forcing him to plan defences in depth (this is what the Soviets learned to do the hard way). You have to calculate this disruption against likely heavy losses of armour units.  And of course you may be able to use breakthroughs to cut off enemy forces from their supply, or prevent them from retreating if you’re using defender retreat rules.

Considering rules such as Panzergrenadiers and mobile infantry; these would give a massive advantage to forces using tank breakthroughs as these can be immediately reinforced with infantry. Perhaps such rules should not be used in conjunction with TBs.

One rule variant that would work is different tank types;  heavy tanks with big combat values but only 1 movement, light or medium tanks with less power but the 2 movement allowance needed to effect breakthroughs.  So; use heavies, artillery and infantry to engage the main opposition while the lighter armour races through avoiding combat if possible to break through to the enemy rear.

I think this works better than the 2 combat movement rounds idea as it forces the attacker to plan ahead rather than unrealistically wait and see what r1 achieves before commiting his armour to further attacks (in which time the enemy would have the chance to redeploy defences).

• @Flashman:

If on attacking an enemy area you outnumber his ground units by at least 2-1, tanks with 2 movement points left WHICH ARE NOT PART OF THE INITIAL ATTACKING FORCE may move through the attacked territory to attack or occupy another enemy occupied/controlled area.

I would further refined it to consider relative armoured/mechanised forces.

And of course you may be able to use breakthroughs to cut off enemy forces from their supply, or prevent them from retreating if you’re using defender retreat rules.

Wouldn’t be able to comment without the actual supply rules. Of course this is only realistic for a fairly finely sectioned map.

I think this works better than the 2 combat movement rounds idea as it forces the attacker to plan ahead rather than unrealistically wait and see what r1 achieves before commiting his armour to further attacks (in which time the enemy would have the chance to redeploy defences).

Yeah novice players might prefer to add a bit more spice to the standard game sequence.
    In AARHE we also have a redeployment rule so its more reactive compared to the standard turn based sequence.

• Customizer

No complex supply rules - just the proposal that a mechanised force cut off from any possible supply route should not be able to move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg

• :-o
      Check in ’ unique rules’ in ‘AA Variants’ for my simple " Armor Blitz" rule. It was used back in the days when I played 2nd edition.
      C.I.  :roll:

• @Crazy:

:-o
      Check in ’ unique rules’ in ‘AA Variants’ for my simple " Armor Blitz" rule. It was used back in the days when I played 2nd edition.

I thought of something like that but a little differnt. if your win a combat in less than 3 rounds, then your tanks in tha tterrtory can make a 2nd combat move. you can’t really abuse this rule so i like it.

• Customizer

I still prefer that the breakthrough tanks MUST be nominated before any combat, and cannot take part in the initial attack.  Blitzkreig was all about SPEED, the armoured spearhead didn’t have time to wait about for the outcome of the main attack.  Moreover one of their principle tasks was to prevent the enemy retreating which they can hardly do unless they move through to attack the second territory in the first round of combat.

• :-o
    I think that the hardest thing for most people is that the breakthrough tanks have the ability to conquer a huge amount of real estate. But, more than likely, they will be destroyed by a counter-attack next turn anyway. So there is the trade-off, a temporary delay in the territory for the loss of a tank unit.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m