Infantry as Superior Defensive Purchase – Still True in Revised?

• Don Rae, in his Article #1 concerning correct purchasing in Classic, comes out strongly in favor of purchasing infantry in large numbers, primarily because of its defensive value relative to tanks (the only other land unit in Classic).  (He also advocates purchasing infantry as part of the “Infantry Push Mechanic”, but that’s another article topic.)Several folks have asked whether Don Rae’s points are still valid in Revised.  This article examines Don’s argument for purchasing infantry in Classic based on its defensive value and discusses how the rule changes in Revised affect his argument.

Don’s article on correct purchasing starts out with the following observations about infantry:

“Infantry
    No matter what anyone says about any purchasing strategy, the Infantry unit is your first choice purchase piece consideration, as it is your most valuable long-term operations unit for mainland operations, before anything else. Simply put: you must always buy sufficient infantry first, then your attacking pieces like tanks and fighters, before advancing your fronts.”

This rule is not as hard and fast in Revised because the rule-changes affect the value and utility of armor vis-à-vis infantry AND add a new unit – artillery – which is useful on offense, but less expensive than armor.  Let’s consider Don’s arguments here:

_“1) The infantry unit is the most effective land defense you can buy for your bucks, period.
    Here’s the breakdown on “land-based defense attack response” value, cost wise:
    3 Infantry - Averages 100% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 9 IPC’s, 2x Hits cost 18 IPC’s
    3 Tanks - Averages 100% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 15 IPC’s, 2x Hits cost 30 IPC’s
    1 Fighter - Averages a 66% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 12 IPC’s, 2x Hits cost 36 IPC’s
    1 Bomber - Averages 16% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 15 IPCs, let’s just forget about 2x hits on defense

In the long run. Infantry are your BEST and CHEAPEST defense against a land force of any kind. Infantry will hold off any invasion for as long as possible, on this basis alone, if bought in large quantities, and most importantly, it forces your opponent to deal with it, as this forces a counteraction in your opponent, by having to generate and buy more infantry themselves!! See the point below…”_

First, let’s translate a bit.  Don is saying that, because infantry (for example), hits on defense on 1 out of 3 rolls, it takes three infantry to guarantee (on average) at least 1 hit per round.  Those 3 infantry cost 9 IPCs.  Two hits, therefore, cost 18 IPCs, etc.  Now, let’s look at how these pieces stack up in Revised:

3 Infantry – Average 100% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 9 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 18 IPCs
    2 Tanks – Average 100% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 10 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 20 IPCs
    3 Artillery – Average 100% Defensive Hits for a Cost of 12 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 24 IPCs

In Revised, two tanks do the same damage, on average, that three tanks used to do on defense in Classic, at a cost of just 1 buck more in IPCs than 3 infantry.  The cost is just 66.67% of the cost of one hit in Classic (i.e., 10 IPCs in Revised vs. 15 in Classic).  Artillery are not far behind – just 3 IPCs more.  When you factor in the offensive value of the tank and artillery pieces, they become even more valuable:

6 Infantry – Averages 100% Offensive Hits for a Cost of 18 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 36 IPCs
    2 Tanks – Average 100% Offensive Hits for a Cost of 10 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 20 IPCs
    1 Infantry, 2 Artillery – Average 100% Offensive Hits for a Cost of 11 IPCs, 2x Hits cost 22 IPCs

Thus, offensively speaking, tanks are a bargain compared with infantry!  They also have the great advantage of mobility that no other land piece possesses – i.e., the ability to blitz two spaces.  And when you compare the cost of each Defensive Hit for infantry (9 IPCs) versus the cost of one Offensive hit for tanks (10 IPCs), and then factor in the fact that the offensive player usually has the ability to bring air power in support of land-based attacks (and naval power for amphibious attacks), the defensive advantage that infantry possessed in Classic has been largely neutralized in Revised.

_“2) The infantry units are the cheapest form of stackable, disposable units to supplement offense.

When faced with a lot of infantry on defense, you should know that your forces will always be hit often and regularly on average die rolls, so this MUST be taken into account when planning attacks. Infantry on the defense will always overcome an equal invested IPC amount of attacking units on their own, on average! (see the “Armor” discussion later on this article for an example of this.)

Therefore, you will need expendable units on the offense to deal with this. Again, your lowly Infantry unit shows it’s value in performing this task. Your offensive pieces, such as tanks, fighters, and bombers, should never be at risk on any attack when conducting an offense, and just as importantly, should never be left alone on the defense after an attack!

If an attack is conducted, leaving nothing but expensive units, you can guarantee that they will be attacked. THIS IS BECAUSE IT IS ALWAYS ADVANTAGEOUS TO ATTACK AND DESTROY UNITS THAT COST MORE TO REPLACE THAN THE UNITS THAT YOU WOULD LOSE IN THAT BATTLE, LAND OR OTHERWISE…THIS SHOULD ALWAYS BE DONE, REGARDLESS OF ANY TEMPORARY TACTICAL DISADVANTAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THIS.

Considering all of this, a further point develops: If you use your infantry on any offense to supplement an attack as losses, you will probably need more infantry to strengthen your front after these losses occur. This means that you should never have a tactical turn where you don’t consider buying infantry, because you always need more infantry to replace losses on your front lines. If you can remember this in advance, always when you conduct your purchasing…your games will always be long, developed properly, and your front-line forces will always be as tough as nails.”_

All of this is still largely true – infantry are cheap and good fodder to start your stacks with, even in Revised.  However, there is one caveat – it IS advantageous to bring tanks into a battle, even at the risk of leaving them subject to a counterattack – if you can afford the losses more than your opponent.  For instance, a strong Germany attacking the lines of a weakened Russia – it is necessary and appropriate to wear down Russia with repeated attacks, even at the cost of losing tanks, IF Germany can afford the losses more than Russia, because this accelerates Russia’s fall.  Similarly, America throwing its tanks with reckless abandon against German lines in Africa (or Europe) – again, this may be necessary to bleed off troops and tanks that Germany can sorely afford to replace.  But the larger point remains true – you will always purchase infantry to supplement your offensive pieces, and will do so BEFORE you purchase significant offensive pieces, since the infantry take longer to reach the front than tanks or planes.

Another point worth mentioning is the change to the transport rules.  In Classic, a transport could carry either two infantry or ONE tank.  In Revised, a transport may carry one infantry and one of any other piece – another infantry, a tank, an artillery or an AA gun.  This rule change greatly enhances the value of the tank (and artillery) as an amphibious assault piece, because unlike in Classic, carrying the tank does not reduce your transport’s capacity by 50%.  Instead, you can still carry a total of two pieces no matter which combination you pick – as long as one unit is an infantry.  This means you will usually still purchase infantry to fill half of your transports, but a tank is a much more viable purchase option than before, especially for America’s “shuck” operation.  America’s “shuck” is all about numbers, so the fact a tank purchase does not reduce transport capacity makes all the difference in the world in terms of increasing the viability of tanks as an alternative purchase to infantry.

• Hi everybody!  This is my first posting.  I have been playing axis and allies for a very long time; since the early 80’s.  The game has come a long way since then, but one thing hasnt changed and that is infantry as the best dfensive (ground) unit.

The article was pretty thorough, as far as it went, but it’s conclusion that ARM maybe an alternative to INF as a defensive unit does not seem like a valid strategy to use.  Certainly, not for a Germany or Russia.  This is for 2 reasons:

1. Even though ARM defends at 3 now, which is 1:6 better than it used to be, the unit still costs $5 to the INFs $3; almost 2x the cost.  For almost 2x the cost, it is not unreasonable to expect almost 2x the casualties.  But the math doest seem to hold up.  Let’s assume we have a $60 defensive budget:

20 INF = $60 = 6-7 defensive kills first round (1/3 of 20)
    15 ART =$60 = 5 defensive kills first round (1/3 of 15)
    12 ARM = $60 = 6 defensive kills first round (1/2 of 12)

Remember, the point of the article was to prove/disprove if INF was the superior defensive unit.  Well, in the example above, the 6 “sure” kills w/ INF, and the possibility of a 7th on the first round, is clearly better than ART’s 5 kills and marginally better than ARM’s 6.  But, remember, ALOT of combats go more than 1 round.  And on the second and later rounds, after casualties are removed, there will be alot less ARM left than INF (or even ART), which brings us to…

1. Unit density is VERY important to defense.  If you have fewer (but in equal cost to the same $ value in INF), “quality” units (ARM or FTR) defending, they WILL inflict casualties, but will be destroyed QUICKER, therefore you will have fewer rounds to use them, and thus, overall, inflict less casualties.  Again, we will use a $60 defensive budget against a similar attack force of ARM just as a simple example (NOTE:  I would never attack w/o supporting INF, but that is another subject…):

Attacker = $60 = 12 ARM VS. Defender = 20 INF/15 ART/12 ARM

Round 1 inflicts 6 casualties on your defensive force, leaving your defense @ 14 INF/9 ART/ 6 ARM.  You will notice that if you made the ARM purchase, the first round casualties not only cripples how many casualties you as the defensive player will inflict the next round (4-5 for INF, 3 for ART and 3 for ARM), but now your force has been cut in half!  And at a hefty cost in $ to boot.  But lets look at round 2.  As stated parenthetically above, 14 INF = 4-5 kills, ART = 3 kills and ARM = 3 kills.  So at this point, ARM is inflicting less casualties.  As the rounds continue, it gets worse; the ARM wont even be around for a 4th round, where as the INF (and the ART) will still be killing stuff in that combat, and indeed any future combats.

Mind you I am not diparaging ARM, or any piece in the game, I am just saying that as a purely defensive unit, nothing beats INF.  Period.  Yes, ART and ARM have special abilities and/or have better movement etc, but those are all offensive, not defensive and out of the perview of this response.  Also, if you dont survive your enemies turns becasue of a lack of INF, you will never get to use those “cool” abilites anyway.

Just as a sidenote about the article, which is about defense, and the improved versatiltiy of Transports (TRANS).  The author stresses how it increases the value of ARM and ART.  But I believe he looked at it backwards.  A TRANS could always carry 1 ARM.  It’s the extra INF aboard that is important.  Now when you hit the beach, it is not w/ 1 ARM, but 1 ARM and 1 INF.  The INF will be what dies on the beach or soak the losses of the counterattack.  I only wanted to point this out so readers can see yet another subtle advantage of INF over the others.

I really like this site and am glad you guys are here.

• NOS, interesting points.  When I have more time, I will prepare a more detailed response.  I don’t disagree, however, with your point about density of defensive units – numbers clearly do count and infantry help with numbers, that’s for sure.  I think the main point of my article was that infantry didn’t quite have as wide a margin over armor as before when it comes to defense, not that it had NO margin of benefit.  I would never, for example, buy exclusively armor for defense – that’s crazy.  My main point, as I recall, is that armor is no longer purely an offensive purchase – it can also be considered a defensive purchase as well.  In some ways, it partially replaces the function of fighters in providing higher value defensive pieces, but at half the cost of a fighter.

But let me chew on this a bit.  Again, good comments.

• Customizer

This article on the subject of clumping:

http://www.morrisongames.com/clumping.htm

I think a stacking limit is seriously worth considering to offset these problems.  If you can only stack 10 units in an area the likelihood is that a more balanced mix of units will be most effective.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t know.  100 Infantry arn’t going to be as good a defense, IMHO, as 70 Infantry, 12 Armor, 3 Fighters because the armor and fighters are well protected by masses of canon fodder while having a punch at least 50% accurate.

• @Jennifer:

I don’t know.  100 Infantry arn’t going to be as good a defense, IMHO, as 70 Infantry, 12 Armor, 3 Fighters because the armor and fighters are well protected by masses of canon fodder while having a punch at least 50% accurate.

your right because of skew. ever read caspian sub’s article on it?

Nope, I don’t really read any of the articles cause they’re too long.

• Perhaps someone should go over the game and tourney logs of the 1st 4-6 turns of purchases on each side and post the resultant win / loss ratios reflective of purchasing strategies.

And while they are doing that, can they make cliff notes of the articles. :P

• JEN, I will go w/ 100 INF.  Consider this:

100 INF = 33.3 casualties
    70 INF + 12 ARM + 3 FTR = 23.3 + 6 + 2 = 31.3 casualties

Not only has the more expensive units inflicted LESS casualties than the all INF defense, but assuming the attacker inflicted avg casualties, the mixed defense will have less units afterwards, because it had less to begin with.  Unit density makes up for ALOT of shortcomings.  This becomes clear after the first couple rounds.  Lets assume the mixed stack and the all INF stacks were both defending and inflicting their casualties on each other:

RND 2:
    69 INF (100 - 31) = 23 casualties
    37 INF (70 - 33) + 12 ARM + 3 FTR = 12.3 + 6 + 2 = 20 casualties

RND 3:
    49 INF = 16 casualties
    14 INF + 12 ARM + 3 FTR = 4.6 + 6 + 2 = 12 .6 = 13

RND 4:
    36 INF = 12 casualties
    0 (!) INF + 10 ARM + 3 FTR = 5+2 = 7 (!)

RND 5
    29 INF = 9.6 = 9 casualties
    0 INF + 0 ARM + 1 FTR = 2/3 of 1 casualty

So by the end of round 3 it is pretty clear that the all INF defense will kill the highest number and leave you with the larger force.  The rounds after that just makes it a masacre leaving the all INF defense w/ 28 INF, worth (28x3) = $84 lead.  For Russia, this like
    3 or 4 turns of income.  Thats alot of time, money and orgaization down the drain for the mixed group which probably will leave the mixed groups borders undefended.

I believe that ARM (and ART) are very versatile on offense and give more options for overall play in revised, but simple numbers dont lie.  High unit count w/ respectable (2 in 6) chance to hit is simply very hard to go against on DEFENSE.

Gamer, I completely agree w/ replacing ARM w/ FTR for quality ground defense.  It is the same kind of comparison. ARM is 1/2 the price of FTR and almost as good at inflicting casualites.  I beieve Revised addressed alot of issues, and the ARM improvements were one of the best.  I also believe w/ more fornts and greater distances in revised does make ARM and any air more important.  But having INF for “strafe” attacks and defense still proves that INF is the king of the battlefield.

I disagree.  Your analysis is too clinical and doesn’t account for luck.

How many times have you attacked with 2 infantry and a fighter and not gotten a single hit?  How many times have you attacked with 2 infantry and gotten a hit?  Both are statistical improbabilities (attack punch of 5 in the first case, attack punch of 2 in the second.)

I’ll run the numbers for you:

If you have 100 infantry and are attacked by 70 infantry, 12 armor and 3 fighters you have the most likely outcome of 56 infantry left and a very poor attack position.  But you lost 132 IPC to destroyer 300 IPC attacking you.
    If you have 70 infantry, 12 armor, 3 fighters defending against the same attacker you likely end up with 23 Infantry, 12 Armor, 3 Fighters, a strong position to attack with.  And you have only lost 141 IPC while destroying 300 IPC worth of units.

So the question is, is it worth 9 IPC to have 12 armor, 3 fighters to support your infantry or not?

• Re-reading my article, I think the statement NOS may have been responding to is the one where I said “the defensive advantage that infantry possessed in Classic has been largely neutralized in Revised.”

In one sense, that’s an overstatement, because there’s no question that, looking purely from a defensive standpoint, infantry hold up better than any other piece, on a IPC-by-IPC basis.  You get more defense for your money, period.  NOS proves this, I think, with his analysis.

But in another sense, I think the statement I made is true.  That is because, as I have pointed out elsewhere, armor gives you a multiplier effect that you don’t get with infantry, at least on offense.  Because you can get your armor to the front quicker than infantry, you can throw more rounds of production at Russia, for example, if you include armor in your attack force than if you simply used infantry.  In that sense, I was saying that the OFFENSIVE capabilties of tanks (that they already possessed) are able to overcome the defensive advantages of infantry under the right conditions where the attacker can bring more rounds of purchases to bear against the same number of rounds of purchases by the defender.  Thus, if Russia has its builds through Turn 7, let’s say, and Germany can bring either (1) its purchases through turn 3 only (infantry walking four spaces from Germany), OR (2) its purchases through turn 5 (infantry through turn 3 walking four spaces PLUS tanks purchased on turns 4 and 5), then I think Germany clearly has an advantage under Scenario #2 because any infantry purchased on turns 4 and 5 will not have arrived in time to attack Russia on Turn 7.  IMO, this multiplier effect is very powerful, when played correctly.

Now, does this effect make tanks a better DEFENSIVE purchase than infantry?  Well, no, not quite.  Infantry still give you numbers and, with numbers, more fodder than any other purchase can give you.  But as Jenn points out, you have to consider other factors besides just how many pieces you will have left over after a given battle.  Because, if you merely hold territory, but cannot re-take territory because you lack offense, you will lose anyway because you will not have the IPCs to keep up with your opponent’s purchases, whatever they might be.  And let’s face it, whatever good infantry does you on defense, they absolutely SUCK on offense.

• JEN, I dont take luck in to account, becasue luck is RANDOM.  As DR states (I paraphrase), counting on luck is inferior play.  You wouldnt bet on 1 INF beating 50 ARM would you?  So why would you do it on a grander scale?  I admit it is a clinical outlook, but its that kind of cynicism that makes the casinos in Vegas the big $.  I dont really understand your example.  Could you show how you got the numbers?  I cant make an assesment, so I wont comment.

The only way to play is to count on luck.

Count on all your attacks being abysmal failures.  Count on your opponent’s attacks being stellar successes.  You do this and you will never be negatively surprised.

• @Jennifer:

The only way to play is to count on luck.

Count on all your attacks being abysmal failures.  Count on your opponent’s attacks being stellar successes.  You do this and you will never be negatively surprised.

thats why a good player should tend to avoid battles in which luck can play an important role, instead he would fight more ˝small battles˝in which the chances are strongly in his favour, but even if he losses it isnt such a disaster

afcorse this is just an instruction, nothin more but i think its a good one

• As I have seen in several recent games…

Large battles with lots of low-impact units (INF and ART) can be wildly different from simulations.  The first round is key, and even slightly above average dice on those first rolls can make all the difference in the world.

• 2007 AAR League

This is true…

This kind of a loaded question…

The Best Defense is a mix of units and not solely 1 unit because of the cost.

Infantry is the superior Defensive purchase for the front-line defense where you know you’re not going to hold it because it only cost 3$ for 1 Inf to take it’s place and die and maybe pull off a micracle and kill stuff on the way down and maybe hold a territority for a extra turn.  :-D

• Yes, you need skew… or as i call them “anchor units”, to add to your INF otherwise you are fracked.

INF by itself is NOT a very good defense.

A stack of INF backed up by a few ARM and FIGs is a very good defense.

And THAT is different from Classic because in Classic ARM was just like INF on defense, and you only had overpriced FIGs to serve as defensive anchors (making it an offensive game), whereas Revised is both offensive and defensive due to the added strength of ARM, and the decreased cost of FIGs.

• Switch, Classic is very much a defense-oriented game. Defending in classic A&A is simply cheaper than attacking. 100 INF cost 300 IPC’s, and it’s impossible to create an attacking force for 300 IPC’s that will give you equal or better odds. 60 tanks vs 100 INF gives you a ZERO percent chance to win, with an average of 50 or so INF left over. Even 50 tanks and 10 bombers (well over 300 IPC’s) gives you a zero percent chance to win.

INF are so good at defending, the goal is to quickly take territory, then mass stacks of infantry for defense in the mid and later game. This is why, in classic A&A (non RR), Germany will almost always put at least 3 inf in Egypt to take and hold long enough for Japan to start shucking INF to hold Egypt. It costs the allies a lot more to take Egypt than it does Japan to defend it. Same with WE, EE, Berlin, Karelia, and Novo.

• But the same is true in Classic as well, except that ART are a force multiplier for INF on attack, and ARM defender 50% better in Revised.

As you said, the goal in Classic was to attack hard and fast, then stack. In Revised the stack is not QUITE as big of an issue, and purchases other than INF for defense are common (whereas in Classic you almost never would have a player on the defensive buying ARM, that is actually common in Revised)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m