• i have a plane flying over 2 enemy antiaircraft guns…i understand they get free shots against me (1 each), but what happens on the way back? do they get another shot against me with their antiaircraft gun?

• 2007 AAR League

I believe AA Guns only fire in the combat move and combat phases not noncombat phase

• 2007 AAR League

Depends on the rule set.

LHTR they don’t.

OOB and revised, they do (I think).

• 2007 AAR League

you could be right i don’t know 100% but i was under the impression that they fire on the combat move and combat phases

• They fire while you are doing comabt movement (on your way in to fight if you fly over one) and in combat (if there is one in the territory you are attacking).  They do not fire during non-combat movement (on your way home from battle).

Example:
    UK is attacking Berlin, and 2 Fighters are flying from a carrier in SZ7 to join the fight.
    The Western Europe Gun fires once at each plane before they even get to Germany.
    As battle is engaged, the Germany guns fire once at each plane.
    If any of those hit, the plane dies before it ever shoots.
    If they all miss, battle proceeds as normal, and if they are not killed in regular combat, they can fly back to their carrier out of Germany and across Western without risk of further AA fire.

• Another related question: what if a plane which hasnt fought anything that turn flies over an enemy AA gun on its way to a different friendly territory?

• @ncscswitch:

They fire while you are doing comabt movement (on your way in to fight if you fly over one) and in combat (if there is one in the territory you are attacking).  They do not fire during non-combat movement (on your way home from battle).

Example:
    UK is attacking Berlin, and 2 Fighters are flying from a carrier in SZ7 to join the fight.
    The Western Europe Gun fires once at each plane before they even get to Germany.
    As battle is engaged, the Germany guns fire once at each plane.
    If any of those hit, the plane dies before it ever shoots.
    If they all miss, battle proceeds as normal, and if they are not killed in regular combat, they can fly back to their carrier out of Germany and across Western without risk of further AA fire.

That’s right for LHTR.  But NOT for out of the box rules.

SLAP.  and tickle.

Tee heez.  :-D

If you’re playing LHTR, then AA guns don’t fire during noncombat.  If you’re playing with out of the box rules, AA guns do fire during noncombat.

So to answer Dash’s question, if a plane that didn’t fight anything flew over an AA gun, it would NOT be shot at with LHTR rules.  It WOULD be shot at with out of the box rules.

• What do you feel it’s the defensive value of an AA gun ?
    for instance, when to bring one extra tank instead on those scarce transports ?

Obviously, if enemy has 6 planes to attack, on average one would be lost in each attack, which is nearly as valuable as an extra tank, and better economically (they lose 10 instead of 5 IPC). AA increases variability (they can lose 0 or 2 planes; in good cases they can press the attack, in bad ones they may stop).
    But if enemy has 3 or 4 planes ? it would depend on how many times the enemy would try to attack the area, but in the short term a tank would be better…

• If you’re going to trade a territory a lot, and you have lots of air, then you leave AA gun out.  If you’re going to trade a territory a lot, your opponent has mostly air for offense, and you have mostly tanks and whatnot, then you bring an AA gun.

Depends on the situation.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If your opponent is afraid of AA guns, bring them forward.  If s/he doesn’t care, leave them behind except when they can attack you with at least 4 fighters.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m