Christian Bible - Truth or Lies?

• :lol:

• God cannot be in any logical explanation of anything, in brief god is a theory without any sence as I and F_alk try to explain, so the bible is essentialy wrong.

Why god would make him so invisible to logic ?
    What purpose does god give us ?
    Why animal have no souls while we have one, as it seem we are not very different from them ?

I believe it represents the Truth. It has been backed up by history and some of it’s prophesies are still being fulfilled today.

Backed up by what ? The holy crusade, the end of geocentrism, the discoveries of evolution ? I will give you the prophecy of Zola about religion; it will always retreat before science. That prophesies is beign fulfilled.

And what prophesies anyway ? the bible is so vague… You know when some things happen and seem to fit with the bible, people say it’s a prophesy, when the bible says the earth was flat or other absurdities like the Ark of Noah or pi = 3; it’s just a bad interpretation, clearly there is fanatism somewhere…

• @Wild2000:

What do you mean by what prophesis? I am disappointed, because I thought you said you did your homework on this stuff?

I read the bible… but a long time ago, and like i said if god is a lie, the bible is a lie too in some part at least… Sure it must not be completly incoherent, but when speaking of god, the ark of noah and anything in science/moral; well it is false.

If you do not understand the fulfillment of the prophesies, you are not making a fully informed decision on what you believe.

Are you aware of the Norse, the Celtic, the Shintoist prophesies ?

• Regardless of whether or not you believe the bible is a lie, what do you have to lose? If you live your entire life in the Christian way, by doing good for others and treating others how you would like to be treated, and then you die and find out there’s no heaven, what have you got to lose?

• @izcoder:

Regardless of whether or not you believe the bible is a lie, what do you have to lose? If you live your entire life in the Christian way, by doing good for others and treating others how you would like to be treated, and then you die and find out there’s no heaven, what have you got to lose?

“Le pari de Pascal”… hmmm.

If you do not believe in Odin, you have all to loose; your place at his side when Ragnarok will come.
    If you do not purges yourself as the Shintoist are doing… you have all to loose…
    If you do not follow the 5 (?) verity of the buddhism, you are everything to loose also…

“Le pari de Pascal” might be a good argument; only if there was only one religion. Also christianism is often harming science, logic and philosophy while embracing reductionism and antropocentrism, so yes i see a lot of things to loose with religion; my free will, my mind, my logic, myself… I do not want to lie to my future children just because i was too afraid or too lazy to think by myself :)

• @FinsterniS:

@izcoder:

Regardless of whether or not you believe the bible is a lie, what do you have to lose? If you live your entire life in the Christian way, by doing good for others and treating others how you would like to be treated, and then you die and find out there’s no heaven, what have you got to lose?

“Le pari de Pascal”… hmmm.

If you do not believe in Odin, you have all to loose; your place at his side when Ragnarok will come.
    If you do not purges yourself as the Shintoist are doing… you have all to loose…
    If you do not follow the 5 (?) verity of the buddhism, you are everything to loose also…

“Le pari de Pascal” might be a good argument; only if there was only one religion. Also christianism is often harming science, logic and philosophy while embracing reductionism and antropocentrism, so yes i see a lot of things to loose with religion; my free will, my mind, my logic, myself… I do not want to lie to my future children just because i was too afraid or too lazy to think by myself :)

I like your post FinsterniS.

I have a nice view of the end of time from Odin’s side waiting for me. :wink:

• @Wild2000:

@FinsterniS:

Backed up by what ?

For starters, the history of Israel, the fulfillment of prophesies, things stated in the Bible which were not known in modern times until recently confirmed by archeologists.

The bible surely was written in “ancient” times for the old testament, and most of the new testament in the years 100-250 after christ (roundabout these years).
    Of course, some things in there will be historically correct, because it was written in that time. So, when talks comes to “he wore a shirt woven in this or that pattern”, then this may be backed up by archeology. Not because “he” wore such a shirt, but becuase the writer knew that these shirts were common (maybe only for a class of ppl) in that (his or nearly his) times.

Saying: The bible was right here…. so it is right everywhere…
    is as wrong as having a look at Platon, saying his thoughts are right here and then, so therefore matter is made up out of little pyramids, hexagons etc…

• I do my best to believe in the Bible… :(

Herrn FinsterniS,
    Pascal’s Wager showed that you should believe in God with all your heart, as there is nothing to lose, but everything to gain from that choice if that it was correctly made. I do not think Christians or undecideds should believe in this. Simply choosing God because you might ‘get yours’ in the end is not the answer. It only shows you working selfishly to help obtain a possible eternal reward. One’s hope, inner goodness, and true compassion towards others should be its own reward. My only reasonable response is that Christians or any other theist should stray away from this scare tactic to force people to convert to their religion. Religion should be chosen from faith and love in God… not because it offers a possible payoff.

• @TM:

I do my best to believe in the Bible… :(

Herrn FinsterniS,
    Pascal’s Wager showed that you should believe in God with all your heart, as there is nothing to lose, but everything to gain from that choice if that it was correctly made. I do not think Christians or undecideds should believe in this. Simply choosing God because you might ‘get yours’ in the end is not the answer. It only shows you working selfishly to help obtain a possible eternal reward. One’s hope, inner goodness, and true compassion towards others should be its own reward. My only reasonable response is that Christians or any other theist should stray away from this scare tactic to force people to convert to their religion. Religion should be chosen from faith and love in God… not because it offers a possible payoff.

excellent response. TM - you are wise beyond your years.
    Gotta’ love Augustine - “love God and do what you like”.

• @TM:

I do my best to believe in the Bible… :(

Herrn FinsterniS,

Perfectly reasonable even if i still think religion is harming our society, probably even more america and underdevelopped society (sadly).

• I was under the impression that this topic was the Christian Bible, not others religions such as Buddhism…correct me if I’m wrong.

• Jesus said that he came to the Earth to divide.

One of a Christians duties is tell everyone that Jesus is the Messiah, and then let every one decide for themselves… That IS division… by personal belief and choice. If a Christian is using a “Scare Tactic,” then he needs to grow in his understanding of the Gospel. Try Galatians.

As far as the Bible’s reliability goes, however, there are more accounts of Jesus life and miracles OUTSIDE of the Bible than in. Ask any Roman soldier.

• @city:

As far as the Bible’s reliability goes, however, there are more accounts of Jesus life and miracles OUTSIDE of the Bible than in. Ask any Roman soldier.

Bring one to me, i speak a bit of latin….

• Perfectly reasonable even if i still think religion is harming our society, probably even more america and underdevelopped society (sadly).

How so? Besides the work of some creationist fundamentalist, I not exactly sure if Christianity is more of plague than a benefit to our society. Christians do contribute a lot to underdeveloped societies, just take a look Christian missionaries in Africa and Latin America. As long as there are no forced conversions or anything on those grounds (TM mentioned Pascal’s Wager), I’m okay with this.

• The Bible is a collection of stories, and even I admit there are some really good stories in there, but like all stories, its still fiction.

• @Wild2000:

@Yanny:

The Bible is a collection of stories, and even I admit there are some really good stories in there, but like all stories, its still fiction.

The last time I checked, fiction does not turn into reality. Yanny, how do you explain the fulfilled prophesies of the OT?

Do you think the life of Jesus was made up? He has been shown to exist.

How are eyewitness accounts fiction?

LOL, Where is your proof that Jesus exist.
    No scientific body with any credibility would agree with your claim.

• @Mr:

@Wild2000:

@Yanny:

The Bible is a collection of stories, and even I admit there are some really good stories in there, but like all stories, its still fiction.

The last time I checked, fiction does not turn into reality. Yanny, how do you explain the fulfilled prophesies of the OT?

Do you think the life of Jesus was made up? He has been shown to exist.

How are eyewitness accounts fiction?

LOL, Where is your proof that Jesus exist.
    No scientific body with any credibility would agree with your claim.

Actually there are some Roman historians who have documented Jesus’ existance. Sorry i can’t readily produce them. The fact that a “prophet” name Jesus wandered Palastine/Israel around 2000 years ago is rarely contested. Usually the question is “is he who he says he is, and did he truly die and rise from the grave”?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m