• Maybe it’s just a very long week . . . .

Tonight a young very gentle, kind autistic man (i.e. an adult with the mind of an 11 y/o - like Rainman) was brought into the ER by his elderly foster parents.  Why?

His coworkers had abused him at work, and his parents brought him in order to have his bruises documented.  Basically he was beaten, kicked in the back, and given bruises and went home crying.  Last year within 24 hours of a beating by coworkers he had a heart attack.  During the discussion with social services, i was so full of rage, i nearly cried. 
    My point is that i needed to vent.

By law i must report to the authorities any perceived abuse of a child or otherwise vulnerable person - even if this goes against patient confidentiality. 
    Besides hatred for liberals - have others been in a similar situation with this kind of brutal situation?

• Very sad story.

@cystic:

His coworkers had abused him at work,

People like this literally make me ill.

@cystic:

Besides hatred for liberals

Not quite sure what this has to do with the situation but to answer you’re question I certainly haven’t been in that type of situation and I am not envious of the position you are in. Good luck, I’m sure you will do the right thing.

• Oh - i’ve reported it to both a Home And FAmily Services worker, and discussed the case with her supervisor during my clinic hours.  I have been assured that a full investigation will commence and that it will not be necessary for me to contact the Winnipeg Police Services at this time . . . .

• Their not much you can do or you violate that Patient/doctor relationship. Otherwise id go to their house and leave some damage for good measure but that would be beneath the low level of humanity they exhibited.

• The confidentiality thing is moot in the United States at least with a MANDATORY reporting requirement in cases of abuse.

• @Imperious:

…id go to their house and leave some damage for good measure but that would be beneath the low level of humanity they exhibited.

I was thinking the same thing. These people need to be used as some sort of target practice themselves and see how they like it but that would be stooping low.

Some days I’m grateful my job is boring. I don’t envy you this situation CC. But to borrow a quote from I’m Not Rappaport (who probably got if from somewhere else) “The proper response to the outrages is still to be outraged.” Small comfort I know but I’m stuck for things to do when wrongs are done and only wrongs can make them right.

• Just curious…what was his occupation?  If you can say.

That may tell us more about his coworkers…

• 2007 AAR League

@cystic:

By law i must report to the authorities any perceived abuse of a child or otherwise vulnerable person - even if this goes against patient confidentiality.

A good law.  Hopefully this will get the authorities moving to fix the problem.  If you can, following up in a few days or week would help make sure this does not fall through the cracks.

@cystic:

Besides hatred for liberals - have others been in a similar situation with this kind of brutal situation?

I think you have misperceived the tension between liberals and conservatives.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Gee, so in socialized health care you can take your loved one to the ER for BRUISES!?!?

They couldnt go see a doctor during normal office hours at a local clinic like here in the United States of America?

I don’t condone beating anyone, “simple” or not.  But common, if he was just bruised and banged up a little bit, the ER is not the place for him.  How many gunshot victims, power tool victims, SUV victims and deathly ill victims had to wait an extra 30 minutes approaching death so he could get a few bruises documented 8 hours early?

• Hey Jenn … does this mean your back?

Welcome back. :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Kinda sorta.  Running out of things to remodel. =)

I have to replace closet doors with mirrored ones, install a few ceiling fans, recessed lighting in the family room, under cabinet lights in the kitchen and replace my front door and I’m done!

So yea, I might even be able to start a few games again. hehe.

• @Jennifer:

Gee, so in socialized health care you can take your loved one to the ER for BRUISES!?!?

They couldnt go see a doctor during normal office hours at a local clinic like here in the United States of America?

I don’t condone beating anyone, “simple” or not.  But common, if he was just bruised and banged up a little bit, the ER is not the place for him.  How many gunshot victims, power tool victims, SUV victims and deathly ill victims had to wait an extra 30 minutes approaching death so he could get a few bruises documented 8 hours early?

that night - zero
    also it was a friday night - not so many family doctors practicing during the weekend for some reason, and it was important for the documentation to happen as quickly as possible.
    But i can appreciate that you know everything about this kind of scenario and the ridiculousness of the need to document as early as possible cases of assault by medical professionals.

• 2007 AAR League

@cystic:

…… document as early as possible cases of assault by medical professionals.

He was assualted by medical professionals?

And they left bruises??

• 2007 AAR League

I always knew that medical professionals were supressing violent instincts. Did they use a no-knock warrant, a flash-bang grenade, and a kick in the nuts on him?  :lol:

Sounds to me like his assailants need the no-knock warrant treatment.

Seriously though. Since his medical history documents a heart attack following a previous beating, I think the ER was definitely the appropriate place for him to be taken.

• 2007 AAR League

Actually, I agree that the ER was the right place for this to be documented.

Left for 24 hours, the indications of the fight (bruises etc) would fade.  I trust ER staff to triage the folks in their waiting room appropriately.

I just could not help poking a stick at the convuluted english in the statement…  :-D

• assholes, beating on a person that cant defend himself. sick motherfuckers, they better hope they never meet me.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m