What units are able to fight?

• Hi everybody!

I’ve played about 20 games (board 'n online) but yesterday was the first time I met that situation:
    it is a UK turn and there is a GER fleet in SZ8; i purchase a navy and at the end of turn I put it in SZ8 with the kraut’s fleet.
    In the US turn i move an US navy to engage the GER fleet in SZ8; now the question is: will the UK fleet attack the GER fleet with the US fleet?
    I think the answer is no, thanks to the rule that say that a combined attack is not possible (as in the case of an allied FIG carried on a AC that attack another fleet), but a friend of mine doesn’t believe me and wanna see an answer written by someone of you guys…

thank you for response and cya!

Ciazio

• 2007 AAR League

The answer is no.

Now if there is still German fleet left at the beginning of Germany’s turn, that’s where it gets interesting!

• @rjclayton:

The answer is no.

Now if there is still German fleet left at the beginning of Germany’s turn, that’s where it gets interesting!

Seconding to a point. There will only be German fleet left if there isn’t US fleet left so it won’t be that intresting. But the German’s would have to abandon the sea zone or fight any remaining vessels and all of those vessels would defend together.

• thanks guys!  :mrgreen:

• 2007 AAR League

Lets play “what if”…

What if the UK fleet unit is a carrier AND the US moves 2 Fighters in to the sea zone?

Do they have to move in during Combat Movement and fight the German fleet or can they move in during NonCombat Movement and just land on the UK carrier?

If they have to Combat Move and fight can they retreat after one round and land on the UK carrier?

:-D

• @Baghdaddy:

What if the UK fleet unit is a carrier AND the US moves 2 Fighters in to the sea zone?

Do they have to move in during Combat Movement and fight the German fleet or can they move in during NonCombat Movement and just land on the UK carrier?

Well since I don’t think it is in dispute that they can attack the German fleet we can safely consider the sea zone hostile. You may only enter hostile sea zones during combat movement (with the exception of newly built ACs but I don’ t remember how exactly that conversation worked out.) So they can’t go there during non-combat.

If they have to Combat Move and fight can they retreat after one round and land on the UK carrier?

I’m going to say no on this. As according to the rules on retreats you must abandon the sea zone contested.

There was a conversation about newly built ACs put into enemy occupied sea zones and moving your fighters to that sea zone to land on the carrier. I’m not sure what was decided on that or if anything came down from Larry Harris or Avalon Hill. I think the consensus was that this was the exception for entering an enemy occupied space during non-combat.

A friendly AC in the zone may be the exception allowing retreat to the space you are retreating from.

I would flip a coin each time this came up and use that for the rest of the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m