Computer problem, can anyone help?

• I’m currently running a GeForce 6600 GT video card on my Windows XP OS.  I haven’t had any problems in the year I’ve been using my computer.  And then suddenly…

I was opening up my Company of Heroes single player demo, and waiting for the window to open on my screen.  Theres a delay between clicking the icon on screen and the window opening, and I decided to sign off of AOL Instant Messenger.  OK.  No problem.  The Company of Heroes window loaded when I received an AIM.exe window error, forcing CoH to minimize.  I closed the AIM.exe error window and opened up CoH again.  And then I received this problem…(picture taken using Warhammer: Dawn of War).

A friend suggested installing the latest driver, which I have done (Driver) but it has not fixed my problem.  My friend then suggested uninstalling and reinstalling my software, but I can’t find my software for my video card at this moment.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much!

–- The file is too large to attach so please copy/paste the URL.

• Did this problem come up before?

Does it affect every game?  Is it still doing it?

You might want to look at the settings for your video card.  Most likely you can get to it by right clicking on the desktop - most video cards put a properties tab in the menu.  You may even have an icon in the bottom right corner, or a link in the start menu.  You can try reseting to defaults and see if that helps.  Then, go back into the game and run the detect video settings - most higher end games have this and it can set you at the optimal settings.

You can also get support from Nvidia’s site - but I’m assuming you are already doing that.  They’ll have the full install for your video card, so you don’t necessarily need your original disc.

• This is a fairly recent problem, started maybe a week ago.  It affects every game I play, and it continues still.  Currently at the nVidia support forums someone suggested cleaning out my video card heatsink with a compress air can.  I did that and I still have the problem which suggests its not caused by overheating.

• 2007 AAR League

I would suggest what Jermo suggests.  Download the software again from the manufacturer’s website, blow away your old install and reinstall again.

• I’m not exactly all that savvy when it comes to navigating the nVidia website, I don’t know where to go to find what.  :cry:

• What you want to do is uninstall the Nvidia display drivers going into control panel and going to add/remove programs.  After that is done install the latest driver for your video card found here…… http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

This method should work.

• Um… don;t you need to install the new ones first?  Otherwise, you won;t have any video drivers and won;t be able to see anything on yuor monitor.

• @Mechanized:

What you want to do is uninstall the Nvidia display drivers going into control panel and going to add/remove programs.  After that is done install the latest driver for your video card found here…… http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71.html

This method should work.

The problem doesn’t go away.  Any other ideas?

• I would re-instal the latest drivers for your vid card AFTER removing AIM.

It sounds like the problem is with an AIM linkage that was established during that closing, so uninstalling/removing AIM followed by installing the new drivers may work.

Then, if it does, re-instal AIM.

• @ncscswitch:

I would re-instal the latest drivers for your vid card AFTER removing AIM.

It sounds like the problem is with an AIM linkage that was established during that closing, so uninstalling/removing AIM followed by installing the new drivers may work.

Then, if it does, re-instal AIM.

That doesn’t seem to work either.  Any idea if I might need to change any specific settings within my driver?

• @ncscswitch:

Um… don;t you need to install the new ones first?  Otherwise, you won;t have any video drivers and won;t be able to see anything on yuor monitor.

Actually, you always want to uninstall first.  It should clean up all the old files so there are no conflicts when you install/reinstall.  What it does is revert to VGA mode which is the rock bottom of video settings that all computers must support.

IEC -

The link Mech provided is the correct download for your drivers.  If you can see your desktop fine, then there is something else wrong.  If the video card were totally out of whack, you couldn’t see a thing.  My next guess is DirectX - most top notch games call for this.  Try downloading the most recent version of DirectX.  I checked your card, and it supports DirectX 9c, which you can download here:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

Also, be sure to restart after you uninstall and after you install/reinstall.  Your computer often doesn’t complete each action until you do so.  And to be sure everything is clear, I would restart independently with each one.

Hopefully that works.  :mrgreen:

• Did you fix your problem?

• Nah.  I’m having a guy take a look at it on Wednesday.  I figure it’s prolly done for, which isn’t a bad thing considering I do have the money to replace it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m