The War Game - Massive Axis and Allies Variant

• Does anyone know the breakdown of those 500 plastic pieces? How many Wehrmacht infantry, SS infantry, battleships, etc? It would be advantageous for me to know so I can get a jump on buying enough pieces for the US, UK, Japan, USSR, China, and France. Imperious Leader, you seem to be in the know. Do you have any idea on how many of the specific units we’ll get with the set?

• all i can say is its over 500 pieces. including Italy and China and france… The game starts with a 41 version and a 39 will be availible online. I will be a moderator for its new forum and soon we can all chat on it.

I talked at length with the producer and he is going with a few runs of 2,000, before even considering taking further steps and making new molds. So if you plan on waiting for specific american infantry ‘molds’  and such, then you will be waiting years…

Just buy 2 copies of this game. It will have the largest map of any game ever made. $120.00 is a drop in the bucket for what your getting in return. Go download the rules. they are available. I think you should buy 2 because you will be able to sell the second copy for double of what you paid… remember 2,000 copies are going to sell fast… and the next print will take like 6 more months to get it to market.

buy a few more D12 as the game only gives you 6, and use your chips from AA if you run out.

and dont worry about “how many of each type do you get” you will get enough of all types so its not like revised AA… these people play AA and understand about the Japanese tanks issue in that game and got you covered.

THe fact that the pieces are all german actually becomes less important after a few games. I am a piece junkie like many here and it does not even bother me anymore. The pieces are actually very nice. Note that the game comes with optional pieces:  elite infantry ( different pose)  and heavy tanks ( maus supertank)

• Well the big reason I wanted to know how many of each piece you get is because I have a hang up of using German pieces for anybody but Germany and maybe Italy. I wanted to go ahead and buy pieces for the US, UK, USSR, China, and France so I’d have them by the time I bought this game.

• I will call Jeff and ask him

• Do we have a release date yet, or is it still “late Summer”? I understand that there was a problem with the setup cards in China. I’m getting very anxious for this game to come out.

• Oh, and are the playing pieces roughly the same size as regular A&A? Looking at how huge the gameboard is, the pieces might be a bit big.

• They are fine for the actual game. They are large for axis and allies except the tiger tank, soldiers, and naval units.

Also, their is no issue with the China setup sheets. everything is ready to go in probably (90%) next 45-60 days. Just buy a couple of copies. I am quite sure this game will sell out faster than the rolling stones. 2,000 copies is nothing for a production game and the delay for the second printing will be at least 6 months so get em while its out.

Of course i have house rules for this game but that will come latter…

all you need to worry about is a table thats at least 40 x 80 inches wide.

• I wasn’t refering to the China setup sheets. The setup sheets were made in China. When they got to Cali, they were warped. It sounded like they had that problem mostly taken care of though.

• They are all “warped” and its a slight curve in the cardboard and is of minor importance. It actually makes them easier to pick up. The main thing is the maps are perfect and where not exposed to the heat during transit from China. That was a concern last year BTW.

• WTF, no halftracks ?

I see no halftracks ?

I see standing inf and walking inf, light tank and heavy tank, regulare artillery and rocket artillery, fighters and jet fighters, small factories and big factories and so on.

But I am not able to see any halftracks, so do I need glasses ?

• dude … read the rules… they will explain everything to you.

Infantry are of two types elite and regular

Tanks are regular and heavy tanks

Artillery have the same

Major and minor factories ( majors build 10 units of any type and 1/2 value for occupied) (Minors build only 2 units of any type and no BB, CV or bombers)

mechanized infantry are not represented… consider elite infantry mechanized or tanks mechanized.

also… the advanced game has alot of additional units and those rules will be offered on the site when the game comes out.

The map and pieces are worth $120.00 alone… you cant even print a 80 x 40 hardbound map for that price. Play the game first and then lets hear your gripes…

• If half tracks are such a big deal, then why not use Table Tactics or other pieces and come up with house rules to use them? I’m sure I’ll be adding house rules and additional pieces to the game. I’ve done it with every other A&A game and expansion I’ve owned.

• Its a pretty awsome game, even without half tracks :)  Its one of my all time favorites.  If anyone plans on being in the Kansas City area, send me a PM and we’ll play.  Its way to big and complex to PBEM or forum; at least for me.

Craig

• @Craig:

IL- Has Jeffrey Stein thought about going to Origins to demo the game like he does at Gen Con Indy?

I talked to him briefly at GCI in 2005, but it would seem that he could get in another good opportunity if he went to Origins.

Craig

I emailed Jeff recently about Origins while I was deciding what I would attend.  Jeff was not planning on being at Origins.  On the other hand, I’ll be at Board Game Geek Con this year, and will almost certainly bring my copy of ‘The War Game’.

Craig (the other one)

• LOL @

Craig (the other one)

Craig #1:

I can ask Jeff if hell show up at origins. He plays at all the So Cal cons and a few in the east. His email should be on his site but ill get it to you.

• Imperious Leader are rules availabe online? I would like to read them. The game looks very cool.

• yes goto the site. they are posted in pdf.

• Any new developements for the game? Are we still looking at late Summer for a release?

• yes indeed. August release

• Customizer

IL mentions a future version featuring nation specific pieces for all the powers.  Two questions on this for those of us considering buying the game:

Does the future version (i.e. with ns pieces) depend on the success of the first run, or is that success already considered a certainty?

If we buy the first production, will it be possible to buy the new ns pieces as an addition rather than buying the whole game again to get them?

Of course I have certain issues with the board, which suffers heavily from “Pakistan syndrome”, but modifying boards is standard practice with me anyway.  I like the principles behind the naval pass-through, though I’m not quite sure I fully grok it yet, and have suggested a similar rule for tank breakthroughs.

Another interesting rule is that of rail movement limited by IPC values of territories they pass through;  how does this work in practice, and doesn’t it slow the game down as people try to work out their optimum timetables?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m