• I thought he started playing for Montreal . . . ?

• The Brooklyn Dodgers my friend :)

“I asked them, ‘Did you pick me because you thought that I lacked the courage to fight back?’, but they replied, ‘No Jackie, we picked you because you had the courage to not’”

• baseball trivia- Which player homered in his first major league at bat, then played more than 20 years in the majors without ever hitting another? hint….it’s a pitcher

• @Yanny:

Jack Roosevelt Robinson’s middle name was homage to the president who said “speak softly and carry a big stick.” Robinson’s deeds spoke loudly. His stick weighed 34 ounces, which was enough.

Wow, that’s a big penis.

Seriously, he was a good baseball player.  His personal accomplishments catalyzed a movement much larger than he.

@Scarface:

baseball trivia- Which player homered in his first major league at bat, then played more than 20 years in the majors without ever hitting another? hint….it’s a pitcher

Nolan Ryan.  Actually, I don’t know, but I can’t think of many pitchers that played over 20 years, particularly pitchers.

• Yea, its hard to think of any pitchers who played over 20 years, let alone pitchers.  :mrgreen:

• @Janus1:

Yea, its hard to think of any pitchers who played over 20 years, let alone pitchers.  :mrgreen:

sunofa…
    I thought I corrected that typo.

Anyway, here is the answer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_run_in_first_major_league_at_bat

• @Yanny:

The Brooklyn Dodgers my friend :)

“I asked them, ‘Did you pick me because you thought that I lacked the courage to fight back?’, but they replied, ‘No Jackie, we picked you because you had the courage to not’”

He played for the Montreal Royals in 1946 - before he played for the Dodgers.

• 2007 AAR League

i love baseball but will never forgive the MLB for the stike in the mid 90’s.  ever.  or the doping.  barry bonds deserves nothing, thats hank aarons spot.

that and its not so clean anymore.  all pro sports seem to be going down the tubes.  thats why i’m an ardent supporter of college athletics, and want nasty pro slime to keep away from the kids until they are out of college.  but hey, thats me.

on the subject of baseball, any of you guys ever been to omaha for the college world series?

• He played for the Montreal Royals in 1946 - before he played for the Dodgers.

Eh, go swallow a hockey puck :)

• @balungaloaf:

i love baseball but will never forgive the MLB for the stike in the mid 90’s.  ever.  or the doping.  barry bonds deserves nothing, thats hank aarons spot.

that and its not so clean anymore.  all pro sports seem to be going down the tubes.  thats why i’m an ardent supporter of college athletics, and want nasty pro slime to keep away from the kids until they are out of college.  but hey, thats me.

Ultimately, it’s about the money.  For just about everyone involved.  Some players are great athletes, but it seems like the advertising creep has definitely taken some soul out of it.  I think in the case of college that we just about get the same thing, except those kids don’t get paid to be in the same position as the pros.

on the subject of baseball, any of you guys ever been to omaha for the college world series?

Nope, but I bet it’s enjoyable.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m