British or US bombers are a good idea depending on G1.  If Germany went navy crazy you probably can’t afford 15 IPC that isn’t a ship or that doesn’t provide good defense for UK.
    But I have played with a UK rd 1 buy of 1 bom, 1 ftr + and followed up with a US buy of 1 bom + (whatever else), and a US bom on US 2 as well.

I think Jen mentioned the added range earlier, and that is a good point.  You don’t need to engage in an SBR campaing from rd 2 on, but it could be nice to have the extra bombers come mid game.  B/c of the range you can station them in Cauc/Wrus/ or Mos and even deter a Japan landing in Afr unless they provide serious cover for their trans, which in turn could leave open the ability for the US to island hop.

Now if you get to rd 3 or 4 and you don’t need your bombers in another attack, take a shot at Ger with both UK and US even if you lose 1 of the 4 bombers you can probably do about 10-12 in damage right at a crucial time.

• i just started a new game with the roomies last ngiht, and Im buying bombers with US.  1 on US1 and 2 on US2.  im going to keep oscilating between one and two until I’m able to hit every IC for the Axis.

He built an IC in india (captured by jap) and I bomb that, plus the one in manchuria, japan, Germany and SEU.  A lot of good damge to be done.

• 2007 AAR League

Remember that India and Manchuria you can only bomb for a total of 3IPC.

Your net gain from bombing a normal industrial complex is calculated as follows:
    5/6 of the time you average 3.5 IPC
    1/6 of the time you average -15 IPC
    Multiply them out and you get an expected average net gain of .4 IPC per turn

For a MAN or IND complex without AA gun, the average net gain would be 2.5 IPC

For a MAN or IND complex with AA gun, the average net gain would be:
    5/6 of the time you average 2.5 IPC
    Multiply them out and you get an expected average net loss of -.4 IPC per turn

If there are no AA guns at IND or MAN then they are worth hitting, but if they have guns I wouldn’t risk it.

• If Germany became aware of the Allied plan to SBR them to death it would be in their best intrest to take Karelia and Archangel and stay away from the Caucasus like it was the plague b/c it was said here earlier that in revised you can only destroy as many IPC’s as that territory is worth. Why loose 4 more IPC’s than you have to? But on the flip side of that if Germany or Japan took Moscow in revised can other allied players use the Caucasus IC?

-LT04

• The other Allied players can only use the Caucasus IC (or any formerly Allied IC) of they RETAKE it from an Axis power.

That is to say, if US/UK land units walk into a Russia-controlled Caucasus, they do not capture it, even if Moscow is in Axis hands.  It remains Russian.

If US/UK land units capture a Axis-controlled Caucasus WHILE Moscow is in Axis hands, they DO capture the territory like normal (placing their own Control Marker there and collecting income for the territory later), which means they can use the Complex to produce units on their next turn.  If Moscow is ever liberated, all original Russian territories under Allied control (and the Complexes within) immediately revert to Russian control

~Josh

• @rjclayton:

Remember that India and Manchuria you can only bomb for a total of 3IPC.

Your net gain from bombing a normal industrial complex is calculated as follows:
    5/6 of the time you average 3.5 IPC
    Multiply them out and you get an expected average net gain of .4 IPC per turn

For a MAN or IND complex without AA gun, the average net gain would be 2.5 IPC

For a MAN or IND complex with AA gun, the average net gain would be:
    5/6 of the time you average 2.5 IPC
    Multiply them out and you get an expected average net loss of -.4 IPC per turn

If there are no AA guns at IND or MAN then they are worth hitting, but if they have guns I wouldn’t risk it.

I should have mentioned that.  He has no Anit aircraft guns.  And he forgot to buy them the last round, cause lets be honest, how often do you buy anti aircraft guns?

• I typically only buy an AA gun if I have a gunless complex on a territory worth at least 3 that has been bombed by my opponent, AND he has kept his bomber within striking distance of the complex, AND I don’t have other pressing purchases that need to be produced at that complex.  So, not often.

~Josh

• @OutsideLime:

I typically only buy an AA gun if I have a gunless complex on a territory worth at least 3 that has been bombed by my opponent, AND he has kept his bomber within striking distance of the complex, AND I don’t have other pressing purchases that need to be produced at that complex.  So, not often.

~Josh

Exactly, its relatively early in the game and Im doing a lot of harassing attacks.  So he more concerned with trying to strenthening the front lines right now.

• I always buy an AA gun for India if I’m Axis or Allies, that place tends to be a hot spot b/c its so far from any ones initial IC’s. That and I think its the good food that draws people to it.  :-D

-LT04

• UK is better off with ground troops and fighters. Maybe an extra bomber.
    But those fighters will help defend land or even deter attacks in Russia/Asia/Africa.
    Plus a fighter’s movement of 4,  will help support those smaller spread out battles better.
    (Like if you have an IC in India pumping out men and/or tanks.)

U.S. Can send more bombers in and they can afford them. But still you still gotta deversify your purchases.

• I agree you got to diversify you spending habits. “You must keep moderation in all things to stay balanced” saith the wise man.

-LT04

• i dont know…it seems like if America simply focused on being able to put their thumb down on Japan and Germanys ability to build at their full capbilities, it frees up Russia and Britain to rock out.

• @zosima:

i dont know…it seems like if America simply focused on being able to put their thumb down on Japan and Germanys ability to build at their full capbilities, it frees up Russia and Britain to rock out.

It takes a LONG ASS TIME FOR US TO NEUTRALIZE IPC INCOME.

Build your bombers.  So long as you don’t have Superfortresses or start with Heavy Bombers, I don’t mind.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Please, heavy bombers are the most nerfed technology in AAR - LHTR.

• 2007 AAR League

They are nerfed in LHTR, but they still do better than regular bombers.  I’d still make sure I was extra aware of how many bombers my opponent had if they had this Technology:

Average IPC damage with regular bombers: 3.5IPC
    Average IPC damage with heavy bombers: 5.5IPC

Chance of hitting with regular bombers on attack: 66.7%
    Chance of hitting with heavy bombers on attack: 88.9%

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m