• Informative post

Now that I’m not as busy with school and I’m moving back into playing A&A again, I found that I had to re-install Abattlemap again.

As usual I hated the tiny and near indistinguishable icons, so I decided to experiment a bit with teh root files and lo and behold, they’ve improved!!

How to do:

Go into your X:Program files/Abattlemap/AAR.gim folder

Remove the file called “tool pieces” with the words bitmap and a paintbrush ontop of the .jpeg. to your desktop. Now open Abattlemap for the AAR map to see if the change worked. If it did this’ll make the icons more easily identifiable and larger in AAR. It is safe to delete the bitmap if you desire to do so.

I haven’t tried this method on any of the other bitmap files but I see no reason why it wouldn’t work.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Nice, but I’m accustomed to them now.

I’d love if MapView would be less memory hogging, faster, easier to distinguish pieces from map (maybe by making the pieces tiles?) and easier to split stacks.  Then I could use it as my default program because I do like that you can add notes and that you can put in arrows and that you can put dozens of maps in sequential order.

• Please check out the module and new version of MapView in the “MapView suggestions” thread, I think most of your concerns will have been addressed.  If the module looks OK I can complete the missing nationalities within a day.

Mot

• All nationalities completed!

• Founder TripleA Admin

Mot, any plans to define regions so that an automatic report of “what is where” can be generated?

• That functionality is not that hard actually.  It’s the “how does the module designer define the regions to begin with” that I always thought was a hurdle.

The first ways is to force the module designer to give x/y coordinates for each region.  Man that would be a lot of work (though there are probably tools out there to make that easier given that that type of image maping is used for web development).

The secomd way is to use the alternate bitmap approach used by Battlemap (pretty clever actually).  I was always concerened with the memory footprint of having multiple 1800x2400 pixel images just to do hit-testing.  My current idea on this is to allow the hit-testing bitmap be a much smaller (but proportional).  Assuming the regions are not too small, then that may be accurate enough.

Mot

• Founder TripleA Admin

You could use the SVG format to define maps. That could define regions and also move you to an SVG format so that you could do zoom-in and zoom-out.

• I don’t know that I have anyway of uploading the bitmap I use for ABattleMap, but I’d be happy to share it with others.  I created it for the BigPieces (View–>use BigPieces)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m